Notices

Joint Legal Custody??

Old 11-04-2009, 09:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Joint Legal Custody??

So I went to court this morning regarding the custody of my children. We were given joint legal custody; I have physical custody; he gets the children every other weekend and every Wednesday. Which is exactly as I wanted it because my children are young and to go two weeks without seeing their daddy doesn't seem fair to them.

Nothing was even mentioned about money, and this is where I am not sure what joint legal custody means. I didn't want to bring up money because I am not looking for his financial support, but as I was walking out of the courthouse I began to wonder just what this means. I mean, I spend around $100 a week on groceries, then there are field trips, school pictures, book fairs, clothing, etc., plus I pay rent, utilities, etc.

Does anyone know the definition of joint legal custody as it pertains to the care of the children? Does this mean we are equally responsible financially? I'm not looking for legal advice (couldn't afford it!!), but if there is a mother or father out there that has had an experience like this, I would like to hear from you.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I live in South Carolina. Things may vary depending on which state you live in. My ex-wife and I have joint legal custody with me being primary custodian. She is required to pay me monthly child support based on "the calculation" which is based on our pay, who pays family medical, etc.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Custody and support are two separate issues. You need to file for child support in order to get it. Check your phone book for the location of your county's domestic relations office.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 11-04-2009, 11:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Originally Posted by Sugah View Post
Custody and support are two separate issues. You need to file for child support in order to get it. Check your phone book for the location of your county's domestic relations office.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Exactly, you will probably get some support if you have physical custody. Support helps pay for housing, food, clothing etc.