Notices

I am done!!!

Old 11-04-2009, 06:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am done!!!

So now I've got 7 days sober under my belt (after the 14 that I blew with one night out last week). It feels incredible and awesome. Not drinking at all is the best way for me to live. Thanks SR for pointing me in that direction. It is night and day compared to how I was when I joined here.

I woke up this morning and it is the MOST beautiful day here in the DC area. I don't know what it is like where you all live, but it is crisp, cool, sunny with blue skies and orange leaves all over the place. Just beautiful.

I'm grateful to be alive after all the crazy drinking I have done -- falling and hitting my head on the ground, driving while drinking, driving while hungover and probably legally still drunk, etc. It has been pure madness and I'm very thrilled (and relieved) to be done with it. A more sane, calm and meaningful life awaits me. I'm still young (ahem...45).

I am sleeping well, dreaming every night, eating good meals, exercising, enjoying my children and my dog in ways I could not while I was drinking. I am on top of events in my life, my chores, my paperwork, my bills, my job, etc.

I am reading a book called An Uncommon Drunk, by Jeff Herten, M.D. (as well as lots of other books about drinking, alcohol and spirituality). Has anyone read this? It seems very good so far.

Here is a quote from the first chapter:

"Why is it so addictive? Because, somewhere on the way to intoxication, there is a brief moment when we feel so good. It is a feeling of well-being, of no worries produced by the dissolution of inhibitions that alcohol effects.... Unfortunately, that special feeling is fleeting. As we continue to drink, it disappears and is replaced by intoxication. Have experienced "the feeling," we keep drinking, hoping that more alcohol will restore it. It doesn't. But we keep trying. And in the process, we develop a psychological and physical dependence, an addiction to this all-pervasive drug."

and an uplifting quote from the next chapter:

"Does sobriety seem like an unattainable goal? It's not. The wonderful news is that it is never too late to change. Freedom from alcoholism is possible. It requires knowledge, understanding and resolve. This book is designed to provide the first two and to help you or your loved one find the last."

So I'm off to Disneyworld with my kids for a few days... I will see you when I return!!!

Laura
Old 11-04-2009, 06:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks, Laura. It's nice to see you are upbeat and sending out a positive message. Have fun with the kiddies.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Disney World??? Whoa, wait a minute!! I wanna go!!!
Old 11-04-2009, 07:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Say hello to Mickey for me!!! LOL
Old 11-04-2009, 07:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Can we all come to Disney? LOL Enjoy your time Laura
Old 11-04-2009, 07:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

I thought you needed a Super Bowl win to go to Disneyland? LOL.....Have fun.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Have a great time, Laura...so happy you're happy!! Great job on 7 days!

Hurry back, you'll be missed!! :ghug3
Old 11-04-2009, 09:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
part time member

Disney World...I love Disney World. My kids are grown and my husband doesn't want to ever go back! I envy you! Have fun.

Just keep swimming.....love that!