Notices

Cravings?

Old 11-03-2009, 08:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cravings?

Hiya,
i'm on day 2 and getting cravings. I am so tempted and having thoughts of wanting to drink again for the next few days. Yet i don't want to. How can you beat the cravings and thoughts when they are really strong?

Pixie
Old 11-03-2009, 10:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know that you can "beat" the cravings Pix. You can know that the cravings will pass and you can move through that moment. Meaning you can find something to do to occupy your time when they are knocking at your door.

I don't know if this will help, but it has helped me in the past. This is a sticky that Anna posted to help us all when we are centering ourselves on the addiction. It will help you find things to do to take the attention away from it at least.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html

Oh and also post like you did. Good job Pix!
Old 11-03-2009, 10:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, Welcome to SR!!

For me personally I had a severe detox and would up getting a medications in the hospital that really helped me get through it. After I got out of the hospital I found that keeping myself busy with a recovery program helped tremendously. The absolute worst place for me to be was at home alone with nothing to do. Not allowing myself to get too hungry was really important also.

Cravings do pass but we can do a lot to fight them off. Calling a sober friend and talking is a great help. Sometimes getting busy with errands, shopping, taking a brisk walk can be a tremendous help. The mental aspects of addiction/alcoholism is extremely powerful and should not be underestimated. Engaging a recovery program is a very effective counter measure. I personally use AA and have found it to be very effective.

Good Luck!!
Old 11-03-2009, 01:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It may not feel like it at the time but cravings do pass, Pixie, and we don't have to respond to them.

Lots of good advice here already - also make sure you take care of yourself - sometimes what we interpret as cravings for alcohol can really mean we're hungry, or tired or whatever.

You can do it!
D
Old 11-04-2009, 01:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The drug Campral helps me immensely. Simply put, it helps restore your brain back to it's "pre-alcohol" condition. It completely removes my cravings, and I'm able to view alcohol as dispassionately as I would a bottle of water. It's an amazing drug for me. But it's rather expensive here in the U.S. Good luck.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I take campral also and it does reduce cravings. I don't recommend taking it without a program of recovery. I did last year and it did not work.

I also want to echo staying busy.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Hi Im Sharon and Im an Alcoholic.

By the grace of my HP and people
like you here in SR I havent found
it necessary to pick up a drink of
alcohol since 8-11-90.

For that and you I am truely grateful.

I spent my first of 28 days in rehab
going thru withdrawals. At the time
i wasnt very sure what it was i was
going thru because i was pretty
angry at my family for doing an
intervention on me.

See i was trying to find an outlet
for my misery and took a hand full
of different pain pills.

Family stepped in doing for me
what I couldnt do for myself
which was getting help.

I recall those first weeks sweating
alot because i walked around
a track for exercise that was
suggested.

Im sure it was good for me to
get all that poison out my system
that way instead of having to
take meds each morning at the
nurses station like most did.

For me being in a controlled in-
viroment for 28 days recieveing
the tools and knowledge of my
disease of alcoholism set me on
the right path of recovery when
i was released.

My spouse cared enough about
my recovery to discard all alcohol
in the house while i was in rehab
so when i returned home i wouldnt
havent that temptaion to disturb
my recovery progress.

I also stayed away from people ,
places and things having anything
to do with alcohol.

Slowly day by day i began to clear
the fog and spinning from the
merry go round i so wanted to get
off many times.

19 yrs later, i still put my recovery
first because i learned thru the yrs
how alcohol or drugs is still cunning
baffling and powerful and continues
to kick azz big time.

The steps and principles are set down
before me to follow and incorperate
in my everyday life so i can live a
happy joyous and free life without
alcohol.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
"I think I can. I think I can"

I second the hungry thing...never made that connection but maybe dinnertime and cravings don't have to be all that bad. I know the cravings pass...I know this. I have done it 8 days(almost). But when does it get easier? It is only getting harder my mind is working overtime.

Jo
Old 11-04-2009, 04:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

PIXIE!! I'm on Day 2 as well, and I feel your pain. I have to sit at my computer for the next 12 - 15 hours to work on a project. Trust me, this work is rarely done without a bottle sitting on my desk. I really wanted to drink this morning. Made it through the night, but was still awake when 6 o'clock rolled around. I lusted to go to the store for alcohol.

I keep thinking about why I want to quit. I keep thinking about how terrible it always feels when I say I'm going to and never do. I keep thinking about how much more energy I'm going to have - eventually. I keep thinking, "Well, awesome, keep thinking you want a drink, but you're not gonna have one, so quit focusing your energy on something that does not exist."

Be well Pixie!! Cheers to Day 2!
Old 11-04-2009, 04:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Watch out for hunger and boredom... and as others have said -- go to a recovery meeting of some kind. It is a great way to forget the cravings for a while.

Just focus on not drinking today.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think about what I looked like when I was using. It's a very ugly picture....

Remember you WANT to be sober. Think of people you love, who love you. Just go hour by hour and celebrate every hour that goes by....

I know you want this, just dig deep and hold on.

Hugs and prayers
Old 11-05-2009, 06:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for your share Pix.

Cravings last for 3 minutes, and decrease in frequency as time goes on. If you pick up you will be back where you left off. It will get better. You will achieve equalibrium. You will achieve serenity through sobrety. Do not pick up, one day at a time.

Best regards, Dan.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Heathen

Yep, like me said.. there's an acronym thrown around to look out for (HALT, Hungry Angry Lonely Tired), those times when 'cravings' or whatever you want to call them are sometimes the strongest.

Do anything BUT drink. I like to run to the gym.. or make sure I'm well fed.. call someone I had neglected in my drunken past.. get into a good recovery book.. go to a meeting. anything but drink.. and then it passes as long as you don't obsess and invite the thoughts to stay.. and you continue your day.

It's work! Meetings, reading, counseling, phone calls, exercise, walks outside (even just around the block.. something about being in fresh air and noticing all the other 'life' going on around me was very helpful to readjust my self obsession for a bit) all helped for me.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

In detox they drilled HALT into our heads:

Hungry
Angry
Lonely
Tired

Hungry was simple for me, I ate.
Angry was far harder in early recovery, but I had a lot of other alcoholics in recovery helping me learn to deal with it.
Lonely this was always my down fall in every attempt I made at staying sober alone, once I got out of detox and did as they suggested and go to at least 90 AA meeings in 90 days, Lonely became an easy one to deal with, friends in meetings and when not in a meeting they were always available by phone.
Tired was simple as well, I rested when I needed to.

As others have said, a program of recovery is an excellent way to learn how to deal with craving as well as posting on SR.

My counselor in detox told me I would do okay if I spent as much time working on my recovery as I did drinking, well I started drinking at 1PM every day at the latest and continued until I passed out or went to sleep, so I spent a lot of time going to meetings, on the phone, seeing my sponsor and reading recovery material. This left me no time to FOCUS on cravings.

Before AA when I quit drinking my sole FOCUS was on NOT drinking! That was all I thought about and all I did was to think about NOT drinking........ Gee wonder why I got cravings? Could it be because all I thought about was B]NOT[/B] drinking?
Old 11-05-2009, 07:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Do people really get through cravings in 3 minutes? Occasionally I get one like that, but often they go on for hours---so much that I cannot read, watch television, sit through a meeting, or sleep. After a couple of hours I just figure I just want to get the thing over with.

The short ones I can handle, but the long ones are the ones that bring me down.