Notices

Sobriety = no sleep?

Old 11-03-2009, 06:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety = no sleep?

Hi everyone,

I know I've only been sober for 2.5 days now, but I have slept like crap the past two nights! I go to bed at 10:30 with relative ease, but then wake up at 1:30, then every hour on the hour all night!!

Has anyone experienced this early on? I'm not really feeling any other symptoms, in fact I feel great not being hungover at work

Thanks!!
Penny
Old 11-03-2009, 07:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think everyone has experienced this. Insomnia never killed anyone... but it can be frustrating. As always see your dr. about detox symptoms because lord knows I don't have a medical degree... It gets better, if you hang on your in for much better sleep than you had drinking/using

Clayton
Old 11-03-2009, 07:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

More than likely your insomnia is going to be short term. But definately call your doctor if it persists.

Welcome to SR!
Old 11-03-2009, 08:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm experiencing the same thing you are. The last time I quit (dumb - yeah if I quit would I be saying this) I found that when I went to bed I crashed and slept the whole night through. This time I'm finding that I'm awake more than I'm sleeping. My theory is - too bad so sad - suck it up and before too long it will get better. I hope I'm right. I also hope you get some sleep soon.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Insomnia seems very common in REAL early sobriety, I did not experience it though, of course I was being medically detoxed so I had little idea of what was up and down for 4-5 days!

It should pass, if not see your doctor as suggested and be HONEST!
Old 11-03-2009, 08:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

My first cure for insomnia is do the opposite; try to stay awake! Find a good movie or something if you can and try to watch it. If you fall asleep so be it.

If that kind of thing doesn't work try reading a book. I have reading lights by the side of my bed and I may get a page or two before I doze off.

If that doesn't work, try writing... in bed. I'm using the A.A. program for my recovery so we have this book that I can read. It even has a place where I have the opportunity to put pen to paper. I'm told that writing uses so much brain power that it brings the 1000 chattering monkeys to a halt.

Prayer and Meditation; "Constructively review your day", all kinds of neat stuff we can do. Might want to inventory your eating habits and excercise habits too. Maybe find a way to back off on strenuous activity and eating after 8:00 pm or something.

As you continue on the path to sobriety you may find that you calm down on your own. The only time I get insomnia now is when I try to go to sleep. Weird how that works.

Originally Posted by LovesToTravel View Post
Tivo something really boring...I always sleep during the President's addresses.
Sounds like torture to me, but hey... if it works! Welcome to SR as well LTT!
Old 11-03-2009, 08:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
part time member

I've been reading. It has been over 30 days but I can finally sleep without a problem. Hang in there. Tivo something really boring...I always sleep during the President's addresses.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great idea about watching something boring

Thanks again for the input. Even though I'm not getting enough sleep, I feel a thousand times better today and yesterday than usual since I'm not all fuzzy, nauseated, and headache-y!
Old 11-03-2009, 10:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Try a hot cup of Chamomile tea before bed time. It has been known to help relax the nervous system and has some other beneficial health benefits. Maybe 2 cups perhaps? Add a lil bit of honey, get yourself relaxed it can help. It may not get rid of it right away, but it can help you get more comfortable at least.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I went 5 days without sleep during my last detox and lived to tell about it. I read a lot, watched some dreary movies (only things on a 2:00 am) and otherwise got through it. Your body will adjust, just give it time. Remember, you spent years abusing your body, now it's payback time.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Lots of good advice here.........I tried the teas and it helped.....just let your body do its thing.......it will subside.....go with it for now and congrats on your time.....stay strong.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A bit more folk medicine for you: I had the same major sleep issues my first week, then things began to improve over the next several weeks, though I still found myself easily awakened, and was up at 2, 4AM, etc. It retrospect it was like dog sleep -- seemingly out like a light but alert at the slightest noise.

One night I put in earplugs I had laying around, the ones the go in the ear. I slept through the night, and did so for each night thereafter.

It's not like there were loud noises I was blocking, but assuming my brain was hyper-alert and the slightest sound was waking me, they worked like a miracle.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Penny. I definitely had problems sleeping in the beginning of sobriety. I now have problems but its hormone related. Getting near that age. LOL! It will get better though.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I don't want to scare you, but I will share what my experience was.

I didn't get a decent night's sleep for over the first month (maybe more) in recovery. The folks I was hanging out with and getting to know (AA folks) kept telling me that

"No one ever died from lack of sleep."

Boy did that p*ss me off, big time. Well I sure felt like dying. I always felt tired, exhausted actually. These folks couldn't possibly know what they were talking about. <vbg>

Well .......................................... they were right! What I did come to find out, was that I had screwed up my sleep patterns for years. I didn't sleep, I passed out, usually for only 2 or 3 hours at a time. Not sleep with REM cycles, just drunken 'pass outs.'

They also told me it would take time to develop HEALTHY sleeping habits, wherein I actually went through some REM cycles. They were correct ............................. in time I did develop some good sleeping habits and my exhaustion did disappear.

Hope that helps.

Love and hugs,
Old 11-03-2009, 12:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Penny678 View Post
Hi everyone,

I know I've only been sober for 2.5 days now, but I have slept like crap the past two nights! I go to bed at 10:30 with relative ease, but then wake up at 1:30, then every hour on the hour all night!!

Has anyone experienced this early on? I'm not really feeling any other symptoms, in fact I feel great not being hungover at work

Thanks!!
Penny
When you stop drinking you have to learn everything over again. Including how to sleep. I started to sleep better after a couple of days but I didn't start sleeping how I wanted for two or three weeks. Hang in there, everyday becomes easier.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Rockstar

What works for me is chamomile and a good book. Warm milk and exercise too. Gets rid of stress too.

Oh and watching football (UK soccer). Never fails
Old 11-03-2009, 05:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Three months in I am still really struggling with sleep. I know it won't kill me, but I am very unreliable in the mornings (finally dozing off at 3 or 4, then sleep through my alarm) and one of the things I want from sobriety is to become a responsible, reliable person who shows up places when she's supposed to. Preferably showered, dressed, awake...all that grown-up stuff I considered unimportant when I drank.

Sadly, I don't have any advice, as I haven't found a solution that works for me yet, I just wanted to chime in that I know it is frustrating and can feel like no one gets how much it sucks. Hang in there, our bodies will reset themselves eventually.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...periences.html
Old 11-03-2009, 06:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My first 3 nights sober I NEVER slept. It was terrible, and since I never slept, my hangover never went away, so I ended up with a 3 day hangover! But on the 4th night, I slept, and I haven't had a problem sleeping since then.

Before this, I went through medical detox and they gave me Ambien for the first month once I left the hospital. Worst idea ever...I stayed awake for 2 nights straight talking to stuffed animals and my pillow. I hallucinated big time so I flushed the stuff down the toilet.