Notices

I want to drink right now...

Old 11-02-2009, 05:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Musician

I want to drink right now...

Hello friends.. I am just putting this out there. I feel like drinking so bad right now. This is day 11 or something and I just feel .. blah,blah.. went to meeting and felt more bummed out. I am just starting to feel "the holiday and I am so alone" theme. The feeling of being alone is killing me, I am usually not this whimpy, but.. wow.. I thought things were bad before i relapsed, but now..... !!!! I am just not looking forward to this. At least if I drink I can escape these feelings temporarily. I don't what's wrong. well, nothing is right really, but I do have some stuff to be thankful for.. I guess it is better to get this out, since I did not at the meeting today. I know I have so much work to do with my recovery and when I look at it, it's so overwhelming and it seems unachievable... thanks for reading..
Old 11-02-2009, 05:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Heathen

Jump into chat,... it's kinda quiet in there tonight, but there's a couple of us in there
Old 11-02-2009, 05:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

just one day . . . just don't drink tonight . . . don't think about tomorrow or even later tonight . . . go for a walk, maybe . . . just don't drink now.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Swampy,

You can get through this!

Next time it will be easier.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Early sobriety is hard! Know that you aren't alone, and that you are among friends who understand what it's like. Keep going to meetings, share when you can, get a sponsor and start working the Steps. The sense of doom lifts, I promise you. Just hang in there.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

swampy.

What else can you instead? Drink some juice, soda or water? I'm drinking a hot lemonade now and it tastes and feels yummy. Is there some project around the house you can do? Clean out a closet, plan your wardrobe for tomorrow? Ironing? Take a walk around the block?

Please read or reread the stickies here. Read the stories of recovery on the Where Were You forum. Keep posting here. Have you checked out the Arcade? Play some of the games there.

The craving will pass. Hang on. And we are here for you!

Love,

Lenina
Old 11-02-2009, 05:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Love my puppies

You can do this swampy...it's really overwhelming when you look at it as a whole, but that is impossible for any of us. Remember, you have a choice...and you made a great choice by coming here first before drinking. You hear "one day at a time" a lot, but if you need to, make it "one minute at a time" or even "one second at a time". Keep posting, keep reading...it will get easier over time, but worry about right now. :ghug3
Old 11-02-2009, 06:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had that today too - big craving due to old habits. Stress.. I took a shower. I felt clean and calm.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Swampy!

Good for YOU for coming to the forum instead of drinking!!

It IS difficult early in sobriety to silence cravings but you CAN. Stay on the board and as Smacked suggested, jump into chat. Keep yourself sober tonight with us.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Swampy I meant to add that *everything* in life is overwhelming if we look at as one gigantic task. Break it up into smaller pieces and go step by step, day by day. Recovery is a process and takes time for everyone. Keep going...You'll get there.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Musician

Thanks guys.. actually slept it off... and did not give in to it..
Old 11-03-2009, 04:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You are doing great. About two weeks ago I felt like you did and instead of having that first drink I wrote on here too and everybody came through for me. Day 41 today and it's a little easier. So hang in there.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Good job swampy, next meeting you go to speak up if you are feeling that way, if not in the meeting afterwards, trust me you are not the only person to feel that way at times. Oh yea and get some phone numbers and call them whether you feel like drinking or not, for me it was comforting to know "I am not alone!"

BTW, ask you self this "Have I ever woke up in the morning and regretted NOT drinking the night before?"
Old 11-03-2009, 05:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I second what Taz has said, Good job.
Thanks 4 sharing and coming here. It always helps me 2 know when someone is craving that I'm not alone.
I agree with partydiva, 'big craving due to old habits.'
Stay strong and congratulations on yr 12 days. U can do this.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

You are beginning to develope your willingness to stay clean & sober, no matter what. This is a lesson we all learn in early recovery & get stronger with the longer we stay committed to our well being. Thank you for making it thru another day with your sobriety intact!
Old 11-03-2009, 08:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sleeping is good Swampy.

I slept a lot in early recovery. Whenever I felt like I wanted a drink, I would take to my bed (lol) True! I would say to myself..."I have to ......laaaaaaay....down......." It felt safe in bed. Can't get into trouble in bed...well you can, but we aren't talking about that. You understand my point. lol
Old 11-03-2009, 10:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Love my puppies

Way to go swampy!!! I'm proud of you...it takes a lot of strength and determination to do what you did last night!
Old 11-03-2009, 02:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Musician

That was really cool of you guys helping me out yesterday.Yeah, sleeping was a good idea, even though it was at 9:00 last night. haha.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by swampy View Post
Thanks guys.. actually slept it off... and did not give in to it..
WooHoo!!!!! Way to go! thanks for helping to inspire more strength in me (and others too, i bet).
Old 11-03-2009, 04:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Love my puppies

Originally Posted by swampy View Post
That was really cool of you guys helping me out yesterday.Yeah, sleeping was a good idea, even though it was at 9:00 last night. haha.
Now, if you feel that way again, remember how you made it thru this time and use it. I think we all learn the most durning our most difficult times. :ghug3