Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

54_days_sober_and_still_sleep_like_crap_and_am_alw ays_tired...

Notices

Old 11-02-2009, 11:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey all. Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing? I haven't had a drink, smoke or toke in almost two months and I always wake up around 3am and can't get back to sleep. I feel like crap most (damn near every) days because I am so tired. I think I am getting depressed from lack of sleep. I have dark circles under my eyes. I look and feel worse than I did when I was binging. kind of sucks. I figured it would take some time to be able to sleep better but I am sleeping much worse. I was never the best sleeper but I used to be able to sleep until around 5:30 am or so. I have been walking at least an hour a day, tried running and working out but I am to tired to do that now. I have tried a few different healthy diets also...but always get the same result. Any help from anyone who has experienced anything similar would be much appreciated.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Heathen

Well, 54 days is awesome, but not very long in the whole scheme of things! Maybe read up on some Post Acute Withdrawal information (there's a sticky here somewhere). Also, have you seen a doctor? Sometimes when we quit drinking, we come to realize we might have other problems, medically, that need to be looked at.. not everything is fixed when we take away alcohol

What else do you have going on in your life? Good relationships, satisfying work/other activities, hobbies, etc?

Becoming abstinent from alcohol had nothing to do really with me feeling that much better, it was once I changed my entire life and started really living that I started thriving.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

Prime .. maybe this would be a good thing to talk to a Dr bout , I know youve been on a big heathy food style kick but sometimes our bodys need just plain old other stuff to be the person our body wants. then when you get back on the sleep patten work on that life style , But i know your not doing sweets and thats one thing that i think almost all addicts will agree is that replacement in our bodys . booze is so high in sugars . but dude .. mabe a DR visit would be great have some bloof work done you could be low on somethings your not aware of that are causing that problem trust me i was going crazy for while there as you read in the sept class .. but what ever they gave me and it was just a temp thing sure has made a BIG difference in my sleeping .. im still up at 615 ( now 515 ) thanks time change .. but im sleeping more solid thu the nite and wow whata diff .. 54 days sober YOU ROCK man but your gonna crash on day if you dont get some needed sleep your body is aching for .. hope it gets better for you Huggles Endzy
Old 11-02-2009, 12:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Definitly check out paws info (thx Smack). I'm on month 3 and my sleep pattern is just starting to normalize. Understanding paws and developin copping strategies and techniques has helped immeasurably; as well as working a quality program.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Musician

54 days is great.. congrats..
Old 11-02-2009, 12:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I go through periods of insomnia...I'm going through one right now. When my body gets tired enough it crashes...otherwise I'm up because my mind won't let me sleep. Hang in there.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

54 days is great, but see a doctor about the sleep stuff PS

D
Old 11-02-2009, 03:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree that you should talk to your dr.

It's great that you are doing so well with your sobriety.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for your share Prime,

I've got 50 days. I'm working the basic do not pick up, or I will end up where I was. I'm going to alot of meetings and exercising my ass off. I can see the light. I am learning to face reality with optimism, hope, and courage. I am working the 12 steps and becoming a better person.

Best regards, Dan.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
c49
Its time for bed

From what I recently read in "Under the Influence" is how we do so much damage to our body and brain that it takes a lot more than a few days or weeks to repair. The book also stresses how malnourished we are during the drinking years, since the body is unable to absorb the nutrients it requires no matter how healthy our diet was while drinking, that it can take months or longer to get back to normal.

Take some vitamins.

I believe everyone recovers differently and it may take you longer than some to feel and sleep better. Patience!!!!
Old 11-03-2009, 08:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Congrats on the 54 days first.

54 days sober and still not sleeping right to me indicates it is time to see a doctor and be honest about it all. The reason I say be honest is that way if the doc prescribes you something it will not be a narcotic.