Notices

Down the Drain

Old 11-02-2009, 07:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool Down the Drain

Last night I had to talk to my live-in and tell him that I just can't have alcohol in the house and stay sober. If it's here, I WILL drink it. Before I could even suggest we get rid of it, he says "Then let's pour it out." So we poured half a case of beer down the drain. It was such a relief waking up in an Alcohol-Free Zone this morning. Makes staying sober today much easier than yesterday!!
Old 11-02-2009, 07:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you Donein. I couldn't have gotten sober myself if I had wine in the house. That was my thing. Congratulations.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hiya
well done for putting it down the drain. I can't keep alcohol in my house either. It's far too tempting. I keep cans of coke in my fridge instead.

Pixie
Old 11-02-2009, 07:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Word. Way to be... you can't imagine how much better it is gonna get. Not easy, but way better!
Old 11-02-2009, 08:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good job getting it out of the house. I can relate to having to have the house an alcohol free zone. My husband has been totally supportive and it has made it much easier.

Welcome to SR. You're not alone.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Heathen

That is exactly what we did.. it was very helpful to me too!
Old 11-02-2009, 08:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

YESSSS!!!!!! Yeah, it's torture looking at it sometimes. So glad you all were able to agree to the dumping.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

Good move. I'm the same way myself - can't have any booze in the house.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
"I think I can. I think I can"

Awesome! We still have liqour in the house but wine was my choice, but there have been times when I'd drink anything to an extent. Never indulged in the scotch/whiskey. I am thinking I may have to rid the house of the vodka(wait I did that over the summer), gin(think I finished that off too), Tequila(gone...forgot about that margarita kick). All that is left is lots of whiskey(my husband drink of choice if he drinks which is hardly ever), 2 bottles of the gold rum a tiny bit a gin and sambuca. Wondering if there will come a time when I completely break down and want those. I can tell you if it were wine it would be long gone. I would feel funny having people over to a completely dry house but don't need temptations...what does everyone else do for parties? Go out and buy new stuff or tell people to bring their own or serve nothing? Hmmmm.

Jo
Old 11-02-2009, 09:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

We don't serve liquor and so far there haven't been any complaints. Soda, lemonade, coffee, or tea.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

WOW. good for you! there is no way in hell that i for one, would be able to have any alcohol in my house, no WAY that i would be able to poor ANY kind of alcohol out, even if it tasted bad, i wouldnt care, i would still drink absolutely ANYTHING ...as i've said before, that to me would have been "alcohol abuse" in my "old" way of thinking anyway, lol
so you hang in there, that is a great start!
Old 11-02-2009, 09:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoneIn View Post
Last night I had to talk to my live-in and tell him that I just can't have alcohol in the house and stay sober. If it's here, I WILL drink it. Before I could even suggest we get rid of it, he says "Then let's pour it out." So we poured half a case of beer down the drain. It was such a relief waking up in an Alcohol-Free Zone this morning. Makes staying sober today much easier than yesterday!!
When I decided I was done for good, I gave all the booze in the house to my father in law, he can control himself most of the time, rare he gets druuuunk.

Yay for Alcohol Free Zones.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

That was an AWESOME response to your suggestion!! It sounds like you have a great partner, getting and staying sober is so much easier with support from your loved ones.

Cathy
Old 11-02-2009, 11:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good for you! There's no way I could ever put alcohol back into my house and I have a supportive husband who wouldn't allow it to be here.
Welcome to SR!
Old 11-02-2009, 11:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good for you!
Thinkin I have to do that, too. I thought I was doing fine with beer in the garage fridge...till I drank it last night. Hmmmm....
Old 11-02-2009, 02:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Surlyredhead, I thought his response was AWESOME, too. He's very supportive--probably because I'm such a mean drunk!! LOL!
Old 11-02-2009, 03:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done.....all my best to both of you