Notices

Headaches? And Book Suggestions?

Old 11-02-2009, 06:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
"I think I can. I think I can"

Headaches? And Book Suggestions?

Hi, Two questions. Everyday since I started...today is Day 6 I have had a bad headache...all day! Kinda a hangover headache...dull but present and annoying. Makes you squint and want to close your eyes and sleep. Is this normal or is it something else?

I am gonna try and get to the bookstore and wanted other book suggestions besides the big book. Maybe some fiction about recovery or just fiction about alcoholism. I forgot the names of the two which had been mentioned. Thanks!

Jo
Old 11-02-2009, 06:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there! I don't know what to tell you about the headache. Have you eaten?

I like "A Woman's Way Through the Twelve Steps", Daily Reflections, 12 & 12, and 24 Hours a Day.

You might need to buy the last three at an AA meeting. The first book is by Stephanie S. Covington and there is also a workbook available that goes with the book.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
it's all happening

I liked "Dry" by Augusten Burroughs.

Headache could be anything. Allergies?
Old 11-02-2009, 06:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

SOrry! I missed the fiction part.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

"Drinking: A Love Story" by Caroline Knapp. It's an amazing memoir about a young high-functioning alcoholic. She gave me hope that I could do this.

I would check with your dr about the headache.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had headaches, too....for about a week and they lessened. Sorry, no book suggs. Congrats on day 6, jo!
Old 11-02-2009, 07:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've had headaches for the last week, but I *think* it might have something to do with all the coffee I've been drinking.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Jo. Hope your head is feeling better today and if not, you've made an appointment to see a doctor.

You had asked about books and I just finished a great book called "Excuses begone!" Its by one of my favorite authors, Dr. Wayne W. Dyer. It speaks to all of us that are held back in life by the many excuses are minds are told daily by ourselves. He ends with a list of questions that you must ask yourself in order to change or to take the road that is unknown. They are the following:

1. Is it true? Answer: Probably not.

2. Where did the excuses come from? Answer: I allowed them.

3. What's the payoff? Answer: I get to avoid risks and stay the same.

4. What would my life look like if I couldn't use these excuses? Answer: I'd be free to be myself.

5. Can I create a rational reason to change? Answer: Easily.

6. Can I access universal cooperation in shedding old habits? Answer: Yes, by simply aligning with my Source of being.

7. How can I continuously reinforce this new way of being? Answer: By being vigilant.

These are questions that you use whenever you want to find out if you are doing the right thing or are on the right path in life. I've tried it with alcoholism and you can imagine the answers and also with other things. It is called the Excuses Begone! paradigm.

Any ways, thought I would share. I got the book at the library and am going to buy it because I got that much from it.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I recommend Caroline Knapp's book too Jo. It's a brilliant book and very readable.

D
Old 11-03-2009, 01:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

IMO "A Million Little Pieces" by James Frey is the best fictional book on recovery I have ever seen. It raised some eyebrows because the author tried to pass it off as auto-biography and got caught in a half-truth.

I spite of that caveat, there are a few parts of the book talking about the Tao and how it relates to recovery that are in fact germane to recovery.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Night of The Gun... David Carr (I think that's the author)

Mark
Old 11-04-2009, 02:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pennylane2009 View Post
I liked "Dry" by Augusten Burroughs.

Headache could be anything. Allergies?
I got this book on your recommendation and just started it. Hard to put down!
Old 11-04-2009, 02:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

One of these 2 books are awesome in compiling mainstream scientific & medical research on alcoholism.

"Under The Influence"

"Beyond The Influence" This one covers everything the above covers and has a lot more on recovery as well.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I still wake up with a quilt and anxiety.

Can I tell you every morning I open my eyes and feel as if I had had a lot to drink the night before. I actually have to think about it. It is that same sunken feeling. I have had a few very vivid dreams where I was drinking(actually relapsing) so strange. I don't ever remember dreaming at all before. That initial feeling when I wake is so horrible, but quickly replaced by a great feeling because it just isn't true.

I havent had a drink in 7 days. How come my brain won't connect with that? Got the big book yesterday...starting reading....WOW. eye-opening. I am still astounded by the shear number of AA members. Some parts I connect with others I think ...not me.

The days always starts great and by 5 I am white knuckling it. Still not 100% this is me. I think I can handle one glass now but I won't and the book only in the first few pages has already outlined that. I think I am a "hard drinker" someone stated that awhile back. So maybe I just need a break. Hmmm. I will be back around 5 when my cravings take over and leave me really wondering...Why am I doing this? Have a great day!

Day 8,

Jo
Old 11-04-2009, 04:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

OOOPPPS. My reply was supposed to be a new thread. I am losing my mind it seems. Is this normal too? I swear I remembered more and functioned better before. It is like my entire brain is revolting!

Jo