Notices

Starting again

Old 11-01-2009, 08:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting again

I made it one week without drinking then I just decided to drink.....Not sure why but I'm starting again today. Day 1.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So you slipped up... You are now back on track! What are you going to do different this time?
Old 11-01-2009, 08:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So no to myself, stay away from the store, make a list of the reasons I want to quit drinking.

I'm looking for a meeting somewhat close and not in the small town I live in. The aa.org website doesn't seem to be working this morning.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Karen, it sounds like you really want this and have a good plan. There are many people here to support you, welcome to SR.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes! I do want to be sober. I want to not wake up wondering WTH? Why can't you just not do this to yourself? I want to wake up with energy and the desire to get up and go.

I'm staying positive and taking it one hour at a time.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Karen -- it happens to most of us here. Just keep trying and don't give up. I'm on Day 4.

Laura
Old 11-01-2009, 09:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

As long as you still have the spirit of quitting inside you not all is lost. You can do it and one week was a great start. I would examine why or what triggered you this time and learn from that. If you learn from the relapse then it wasn't a total loss in my opinion.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Just another day...

I have relapsed a few times myself..Im currently on day 7, again. I think the most important thing is that you keep trying to quit. Dont lose hope!
Old 11-01-2009, 10:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

I agree that it is important to see what triggered you to relapse. I found that I really needed a program of recovery to help me work on the reasons why I drank. Drinking is your solution to your problem. So, you need to figure out what your problem is and work on that. Then, the drinking won't be as big a pull.

For me, my "problem" was stress, trying to control things that were out of my control, wanting to be super-dad, fear, anger, etc. In AA, I learned how to get at peace with myself and it has helped me manage those problems.

Glad you are here. Don't give up. You are not alone.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Pick yourself up, dust yourself off...

Been there and done that. Repeatedly.

I highly suggest figuring out why you relapsed, and taking measures to prevent this from happening the same way again. My last 2 relapses were identical, down to the day of the week... How embarrassing.

But, back to sober...

-TB
Old 11-01-2009, 10:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My List

I want to wake up with a clear head and a clean conscience. To feel no shame or guilt.

I want to not shake anymore.

I want to be sober and present for my girls.

I want to have energy to clean my house and complete my jobs.

I want to go to bed at a descent time and wake up at a descent time.

I want to feel happy without having to drink.

Just wanted to share my list. I'm sure I'll have more to add. But the plan is to carry this with me and read it when I am feeling tempted.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Why did I relapse?

Ok....I'm trying to figure out what triggered me to drink. I was happy and thought that I would really like to drink.

I called my husband and he said don't do it...think about something else. Get your mind off of drinking. But I knew I was going to do it. I think I was just telling him so it wouldn't be a surprise.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I would tell my husband hoping he would talk me out of it. The other thing I did was get on SR and post and hope they could talk me out of it. SR always was able to talk me out of it and sometimes my husband could too. You have to get through one of those moments to know that it is an urge that WILL pass and once you know that you know you can live through it.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You know one other thing I can offer is that you have a back up for your recovery plan and by that I mean I have said to my husband and my self if SR isn't working anymore then I will start attending AA. I like your list and that's a good idea too. Sometimes we need some face to face support from people who have taken the journey we are on and can help us over the bumps. Sitting down with someone and having a cup of coffee and discussing your triggers can be a wonderful thing. I'm not currently in AA, but I do have a friend that's a recovered alcoholic and I do call her often and we discuss recovery. It helps.