how do I handle this ?

Old 10-30-2009, 01:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

how do I handle this ?

Brother is now in a far away country. is married 12 months to someone 22 yrs younger. he continues to spiral. only goes 2 days without drink. she left as he was hitting her. problem is that he says she took all his money out of his bank account. also deeds to land and boats which apparantly were in her name. so she can take them.

he says he has run out of money. he had debts 5 yrs ago after leaving england. never paid them back.

he had 2 people call me claiming to be police saying that what he was telling me was true and that she had taken the money. they say she was a con artist.

he now wants 10,000 euro as he says he has nothing.

I refuse to give him any as I am not sure if I believe him. My father tho I think may want to give him the money.

what do we do ?

thanks
Old 10-30-2009, 05:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

I'm sorry your brother has continued his downward spiral.

His story is so dramatic. He portrays himself to be the victim. However, he is an adult who made his own choices. Good or bad, they were his choices. He will need to deal with the consequences of his choices.

He has been diagnosed with depression. Yet he continues to drink. Alcohol is a depressant. Any medication he takes will not be effective while consuming alcohol.

Until he is ready to take responsibility for his own life, health and finances; he will continue his downward spiral - no matter how many euros he receives.

Remember:
You did not cause it
You can not control it
You will not cure it
Old 10-30-2009, 04:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks

Pelican,

Thanks for support. we have decided to let him stand on his own two feet. He has made the situation worse and it is all his own doing. So we will stand back and leave him to it.

we are here if he decides that he wants to stop drinking and we will help him to do this..but we wont give him money so he can do whatever he wants..

He has to figure this out for himself.

Thanks
Old 10-30-2009, 04:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

we have decided to let him stand on his own two feet. He has made the situation worse and it is all his own doing. So we will stand back and leave him to it.

we are here if he decides that he wants to stop drinking and we will help him to do this..but we wont give him money so he can do whatever he wants..

He has to figure this out for himself.

Good for you. As painful as this is scarke- this is the right course to follow. AlAnon helped me cope with some of these hard decsisions I had to make about my brothers...have you tried it? It was all so painful to me, I needed help to hold my ground and learn how to let go.

peace-
b