1st naranon mtg tom - what should I expect

Old 10-29-2009, 06:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1st naranon mtg tom - what should I expect

Hi- thanks to all of your replies & advice to my 1st post last week about my addicted husband, I am going to my 1st naranon meeting tomorrow night. I'm extremely nervous about it. What can I expect? I've been taking small steps recently to try to be true to myself (thanks to all the info I found on SR). He has been depressed lately and I sense the roller coaster starting to begin again. I haven't found any oxy's; but, I sense something. Maybe I'm just paranoid after the years of lies I can't tell what's real. Any insight advice would be appreciated.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello there, it's good to meet you. I'm just sorry it had to be under these circumstances.
I attend Alanon because there are no Naranon meetings near me. But I have found they are both very similar as they both deal with substance abuse whether it is alcohol, drugs, whatever.

At the meetings mostly people share about thier experiences and hope & serenity they have found in the program through the use of the 12 steps that are used in both AA & NA, slogans and tools found in the program. You will find that the meetings are not about the alcoholic or addict or about how to help them get sober, rather it is about working on ourselves, how we react to things and how to bring hope and serenity to our lives.

At my meetings we discuss a subject such as courage, detachment, boundries to name a few and we read passages from Alanon literature and books that pertain to that subject and discuss them. We also have specific meetings set aside once a month on step work. You don't have to share until you are ready too. I spent my first meeting saying nothing but crying because everything said sounded so much like me. I could'nt beleive there were others who had experiences like mine when for so long I had felt so alone in the madness of living with an addict.

You will likely be given a newcomer packet to welcome you and introduce you to the program, a list of phone numbers of members you can call for support may also be given. After you are in the program awhile you may want to seek a sponser person to help you work through your recovery.

Give the meetings a chance and even if you don't feel comfortable the 1st time keep going back. Theres alot to the program that can't be asorbed in just one to two meetings. Most of all keep an open mind.

I hope this helps a little. Congratulations on taking this step towards a better you!

Teggie
Old 10-30-2009, 11:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks teggie. I appreciate the info.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You will find a warm welcome and understanding from people that know how you feel. You will find the road to serenity, if you are willing to travel it.

Small steps are good, just keep moving forward.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
llm

Hi, I don't have any experience in this subject really, but my husband and I went to our FIRST Nar-anon meeting a couple of weeks ago. There was somebody there that we knew. We were there for our son, as was she. So we thought the Anon-was for anonymous. WELL, after she left the meeting she went home and told her son (and I don't know who else) we were there... her son called my son and he was very very upset. We have not been back to meeting since. That is the only nar-anon meeting that is a realistic drive for us. Hope you have better luck!
Old 10-31-2009, 08:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

LLM sorry to hear about your experience. I will tell you that my biggest fear was seeing someone that I might know at the meeting. There wasn't - It was a really good experience for me. I will be returning. I'm new to this - all I can say is that it made me feel better about my healing and support for my AH. You're right they mentioned the privacy of all members several times last night. I guess it's ultimately up to the other members. Sad since they are in the same situation - I would think they would be a bit more sensitive to your needs at this time. My heart goes out to you.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
llm

Hi, I'm glad your meeting went so well. My concern was to see someone we knew too, and it did happen! We will go again. We have to make a decision before we go again whether we should confront the person or say something to others at the meeting. The meeting was helpful, it was just after we found out what happened that made us a little concerned to go back. I would have to think what happened to us is the exception rather than the rule. Good luck with your husband. llm