Nar-Anon vs. Al-Anon

Old 10-27-2009, 05:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Nar-Anon vs. Al-Anon

Today I spoke with someone at work who has had way more than his share of addicts in his life... His first wife who died years ago. And his now adult daughter, who is of his first wife.

He is so confused by the way his daughter treats him... it is awful. The thing is, he doesn't even drink, never really used, ever and all he wants to do is love her (her mom died years ago of an OD)

I talked with him a bit... 3 C's, that kind of stuff....

Myself, I had some addiction issues and am a recovered alcoholic.

I found some Nar-anon meetings for him on line, but they are much fewer in number than Al-anon around here, and he'll have to travel some... He really really needs to go and is very interested... He is a great guy who is very confused and he's intelligent but not very savvy with the drug addiction issues.

Intuitively, I think, given his story, he needs Nar-anon.... but... is there a significant difference between Nar-anon and Al-anon.... or would he find the support he so desperately needs at either?

Mark
Old 10-27-2009, 06:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Mark I always suggest both as many times Al-Anon has many more meetings in a given area than Naranon and makes it easier for the person to fit meetings into their time schedule.

He will be welcomed at Al-Anon just like Naranon.

Prayers going out for your co-worker.

Love and hugs,
Old 10-28-2009, 04:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I agree with what Laurie said. Al-anon, Nar-anon and CoDa are three similar fellowships and each one of them is about "us" and not their substance choice.

I hope the meetings help him as much as they have helped so many of us here.

Hugs
Old 10-28-2009, 09:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Mark, I started with Alanon then found a Naranon meeting that was close. I went to both for many years. I believe your co-worker will benefit from either one.