Notices

What am I doing?

Old 10-27-2009, 02:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Standing at my crossroads

What am I doing?

This is the jist of what I was trying to say earlier and lost it.

I found this site through my meth use. I was raised around drugs, but never really had interest in doing them. Then at age 38, I found a way to use meth that stuck. I am 42 years old now, I have not used meth in two years with only one relapse last year that confirmed that I did not have any use for meth. Am I an addict?

I have drank since I was 14 years old. Mostly binged party drank on the weekends. I got my first DUII when I was 27 years old. That really didn't change the way I used alcohol. Three 1/2 years ago, I find the job of my dreams, move out of the house I couldn't afford into a cute 2 bedroom, finances are getting back on track, I am working really hard to finally bring stability into my life and succeeding. Last April, I get my second DUII. Of course the courts view it as a first because of the time difference, but the diversion program has changed, its become stricter. Now I'm paying attention. I can feel myself really listening and understanding that I've already started the sobriety process. I don't binge drink on the weekends, but I do enjoy a glass of wine with dinner here and there, or have a cocktail because one sounds good. Am I an alcoholic?

In the last 12 years I have been in a relationship with a severe addict. He has pretty much burned every bridge I have offered him. I want help understanding what makes this ok for me. I want to bring this up when I'm at the AA meetings or the alcohol classes, but can't bring myself to do it because of the diversion program. I want to complete the program without a hitch and I'm afraid I might say something that won't let that happen.

What kind of recovery am I looking for?
Old 10-27-2009, 04:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I don't know if you are an alcoholic or not, and the label is not really important.

If you have had two DUI's in your life, then you really need to look at your situation and what you are going to do.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Possibly one that helps you deal with your fear, helps you to take responsibilty for your attitudes & actions, and helps you to live life without the use of alcohol or drugs? Maybe one that helps to deal with the past in a positive way, helps you to clear away the damage you have caused yourself, and that helps you to not create further problems for yourself?
Old 10-27-2009, 08:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

I have found that the 12 steps are pretty good "personal improvement steps" regardless of my addiction . So, I would agree that the label is not necessary - not now. If you feel like you are missing something from your life, then you can use the 12 steps (or some other program) as a tool to help you. Then, as you learn more, you can decide for yourself whether you need a label.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Like what has already been said--no one can say whether or not you are an alcoholic or addict. Only you can say that you are/are not. What was told to me before when I too questioned myself was that "normal" people don't have to question it--whether they are or not. Might be something to consider...
Old 10-27-2009, 09:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi tinkertrain

the issue for me isn't one of what am I....

it's one of 'do I have problem'? If so...'how is this problem impacting on my life', and 'what am I going to do about it'?

You'll find a lot of help experience and support here - welcome

D
Old 10-28-2009, 07:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Standing at my crossroads

I checked the responses last night and I'm glad I waited until this morning to reply. On my way to work this morning, I had that exact thought of understanding the 12 steps. I was wondering what it means to work the steps. I'm not to big on the religious side of AA, but I'm thinking the steps can still be accomplished.

Next week is my final alcohol class, then I have an exit interview and a UA. Once I have successfully completed the state required portion of all of this, then I believe I can open myself up honestly and make better decisions on what steps I need to take. I know I need to continue on a path of personal improvement, I didn't work this hard just to let it go to waste.