Teen Challenge info

Old 10-27-2009, 11:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Teen Challenge info

I'm wondering if anyone has any information or experience regarding teen challenge? I'm looking for free or low cost treatment options for my AS. They have a good website. I know it is faith-based, but I've also seen feedback saying it is more like a cult.
I would also appreciate any info anyone has on the Salvation Army program.
Thanks!
Old 10-27-2009, 12:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I do not have personal experience w/Teen Challenge, but my friend, who went through a Salvation Army rehab (which is also faith [Baptist] based), said word on the street was that T. Challenge was even more so. His complaint with the Sally was that although they did expose the residents to 12-step meetings, that was not the primary focus for staying clean, but praise and worship, prayer, etc. was. Not that I believe a relationship with God and church are bad! But he often times felt like they were trying to brainwash him. Very conservative, and not allowing for other religious viewpoints kind of teaching.

With that being said, whatever program your son gets into, could surely change his life. The fundamentalist group on the scene at T.C. and their programming is better than nothing. My friend walked away with a clear head, a lot of clean time, and re-discovered his relationship with God.

(Obviously my skewed opinion!)
Old 10-27-2009, 02:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
On a tear

Anything I am going to commit my life and time to will look like a cult to those who aren't as motivated as me.

If I commit to a church, my heathen friends will say I am in a cult.

If I commit to AA, some of my Christian friends will say I am in a cult.

If I commit to sobriety, all of my drinking friends will think I am in a cult.

Teen Challenge is faith-based, not 12-step based. Some folks do excellent in faith-based programs, others do better in 12-step. A big bunch of folks are getting by with white-knuckles, though I don't recommend it. Others use only meetings AA and NA. Some use Rational Recovery. A few I know love the S.M.A.R.T. program to recovery. Some use an addicitonologist - a counselor trained in addiction.

There are many paths to our final goal.

I personally don't care if you dance naked round a fire at midnight and paint yourself green... if it works, all the more power to ya!

My recovery is 12-step, but I originally quit drinking by the white-knuckle method.

If Teen Challenge doesn't work for you, or your loved one, it doesn't mean you can't try other methods.

Open the door... who knows what is awaiting!!!

((hugs))
Old 10-27-2009, 04:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We used to have young men from a local Teen Challenge come an speak at our old church. They had guys who were sober for various lengths of time and it was very good and inspiring. Like all recovery programs, it only works if the addict works it. I had looked into TC for my ABrother a few times over the years because of hearing them speak at the church, and I thought they seemed like a good program.

My ABrother has had the longest stretches of sobriety while in the Salvation Army program, so for that I think they are to be commended! Previously at other programs he made it to about 5 months. He stayed at a certain SA for a little over 2 years, and was the best he's ever been. I have observed people whom he befriended in SA and other programs that work their program and they become reasonably happy and productive - they get on with their life in a more positive way. My brother was more or less just sober, and doing a little better (safe and healthy and had some good pleasant days). But that is a reflection on him not SA. He can quote all the bible verses and scriptures he studied there and in other faith-based programs but since his heart is not opened, his actions and demeanor are not changed very much in my experience with him.

What I like about SA is that they take everyone, everyone has to work, and are strongly influenced by God and the Bible. Because of the various ministries and such they do at SA, a person in their program can always get food and clothing and assistance in progressing in their recovery and then on to outside jobs. It seems to me that even if one is not Christian, there are good values and disciplines to be learned there.

He left there about this time last year, and as far as I know he's back in the SA program again as of 3-4 weeks ago.

Last edited by BohemiMamaof3; 10-27-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

AS was at teen challenge two weeks ago, he lasted 5 days. Came home and said it was a cult. It is religion based yes. I believe if he were at his bottom he would have stayed. I also believe if he doesnt have some type of faith he will never go in to recovery. I have heard very positive things about the program. Big Sis posting is excellent and says it all.