Notices

New and scared

Old 10-26-2009, 02:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and scared

Hello

It has been 26 hours since my last drink after being on a 4 day vodka bender, I had 2 weeks alcohol free before this.

Yesterday I had nausea, shakes, sweat and insomnia, although I did not vomit which I have in the past.

Today I am still shaky and anxious,my question is, if I am feeling slightly better today, is it likely that I will go into severe withdrawal as I have read online that these can occur anything between 48 and 72 hours after you quit.

I am alone with my disabled sister and 13 year old son, so inpatient treatment or hospital stays aren't an option as there is only the 3 of us and drink has made most of my friendships disappear.

sorry for the long post.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, we can't give medical advice here and we shouldn't: please contact some facility that can help you with your withdrawal, even if it simply a phone call to an ER.

You might be past the worst of it, but I am cruising a little too close to giving you medical advice here, so please make some calls.

I would also suggest making a call to AA or another recovery hotline. Your instinct may be to weather this out alone, but it can make an enormous difference if you reach out to others at this time.

You are not alone. There are frequently dozens of people online on SR at any time. And, yes, we all know how it feels to be scared when we quit.
And, welcome to SR!!!!
Keep coming back!
Old 10-26-2009, 03:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Littlefish

I kept taking my thiamine and B vits throughout my bender and in my madness decided I would drink my vodka with fresh orange! Insanity.

I actually have just a slight headache now so will monitor myself as the day goes on.

thank you again
Old 10-26-2009, 03:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Mhairi, I understand what you're going through with the morning sickness, headaches, and insomnia. One thing that's helped me countless times is 'Alka-Seltzer Morning Relief'. It has Asprin, Caffeine, and Vitamin C. I just checked the back of one of the packets and it says "Cure For Morning Headache and Fatigue. Fast headache Relief. Increases Alertness. Gentle on your Stomach". However, like LittleFish said, if your symptoms get to an extreme point, make sure to contact a doctor D=

Good luck =D
Old 10-26-2009, 04:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mhairi

I urge everyone to go see their doctor....as littlefish said none of us are professionals here.

It's not a question of panic or putting you in hospital - it's just common sense I think - being responsible and getting the best possible advice for yourself.

I hope we'll see more of you - you'll find a lot of support here.

Welcome to SR!
D
Old 10-26-2009, 07:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree. See a doctor. Towards the end of my drinking I shook off a four day bender in a motel room and it was no fun. I'm lucky to have lived through it.

Inpatient isn't always the answer. There are other options. I may know someone in your area. Send me a PM if I can help.
Jim
Old 10-26-2009, 07:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice and support

I called NHS24 and explained my situation, they put me through to a nurse and her advice was to wean myself off the alcohol by getting beer or a small bottle of vodka, I explained I hadn't drank since yesterday morning and she said well you are probably through the worst of it, If I get a temperature or feel more unwell to call them back.

So have lots of juices and fruits and gatorade...hopefully I will get some sleep tonight.

thanks again guys.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just as I did and others say on here,severe symptons can't strike without warning,so you need to be with someone throughout your detox and I would advise a trip to the doc. My severe symptoms lasted seven days and it was not pretty.

Hang in there,

Ron
Old 10-26-2009, 08:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't mean to threadjack, but when you go on a 2 or 3 day binge and have these symptoms, but haven't had a drink for weeks before that, are they still withdrawl symptoms or is it really just a hangover from hell?

I just wonder because I was a weekend binger before my last drink on 10/19. (When I say 'last' drink I mean LAST drink)

I didn't drink on a daily basis, but after that 3 day binge I had all the cold sweats, shakes, insomnia, headaches, etc that I hear described in withdrawl. My last drink was 10/19 and today is the first day that I can say I really woke up feeling "good".
Old 10-26-2009, 08:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

There are so many variables to each de tox/withdrawal
it's impossible to guess or predict what will happen

Here is a link ...please read it for info and some of
our experiences

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Welcome to our recovery community....
Old 10-26-2009, 09:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Old 10-26-2009, 09:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!
Old 10-26-2009, 10:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by xenodamus View Post
I don't mean to threadjack, but when you go on a 2 or 3 day binge and have these symptoms, but haven't had a drink for weeks before that, are they still withdrawl symptoms or is it really just a hangover from hell?

I just wonder because I was a weekend binger before my last drink on 10/19. (When I say 'last' drink I mean LAST drink)

I didn't drink on a daily basis, but after that 3 day binge I had all the cold sweats, shakes, insomnia, headaches, etc that I hear described in withdrawl. My last drink was 10/19 and today is the first day that I can say I really woke up feeling "good".

Hi Xenodamus,

I have been through withdrawal before after a year long bing due to the death of my Mother and Father, I was drinking a 750ml bottle of vodka a night.The problem was then that I became addicted to benzos so am terrified of using them to withdraw.

I gave up through a mixture of counselling and group therapy and now get roughly a months sobriety at a time and then drink at weekends convincing myself I am a social drinker and then it progresses to waking during the night to finish off what I have left and then sleeping until the shop opens to get another bottle. Then something in me snaps STOP and here I am again. This is no way to live.

sorry for the long post.