Notices

SimilarThoughts

Old 10-25-2009, 01:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

SimilarThoughts

Just read in another post of how once things things start going well again negative thoughts/anxiety creep into the mind in anticipation of another downward spiral ensuing. I get this... Is it a rationalization to pick up the bottle again, the "disease" rearing it's ugly head? A fear of failure and/or success. Obeseesion of the mind kind of stuff that just needs to be meditated away??? It's almost a fear of fear kind of thing for me. Anyone else have this sort of ideation and how do/did you deal w/ it? For me it is a sort of guilt for feeling good combined with anxiety laden thoughts of everything going down the tubes again. Thanks in advance. Day 89 with a plan.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh yes, most definitely!

When I began recovery, I realized that I had lived all of my life in fear, in the dark. Every decision I had made, large or small, was ultimately based on fear. And, I really had a fear of success. I had no idea what it would feel like and it was very scary.

In recovery I had to take a leap of faith and learn to live in the light.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not sure if this is the same, but I'm new at this, day 9, and previous attempts have failed mainly because after a spell of feeling upbeat and cheerful in recovery, I start to anticipate the almost certain failure. Its as though its not something that will or can continue for life....that I'm doomed to have relapses. I apparently don't trust that I can ever get to a point when I will be happy without, that I'll miss the taste/effect, and will end up being who I am at my soul - a drinker. Awfully fatalistic. I guess I'm trying to do some living in the moment mindfulness thinking to stay anchored. Its all mysterious!
Old 10-25-2009, 03:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

At the time I thought it was simply I didn't want to be different - and that pulled me back in. But it goes much deeper than that - I realise now I was scared that I wouldn't be able to do it, and even more scared that I would. Every time I got more than a week up the fear that I might actually do this bought me undone.

I was scared of change because I knew it meant facing a lot of things about myself I'd avoided by drinking...and I was terrified of letting go of my familiar life, however horrible, for the great unknown of sobriety.

Eventually, of course, I *had* to do it - and I'm so glad I did.

It's been hard, sure, but the fears were groundless, and my life is immeasurably better

Keep the faith EW

D
Old 10-25-2009, 08:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Yeah....I think the brain in early sobriety tries to rationalize everything...since it's so grateful it's not being soaked in alcohol!

Those early days can be a roller coaster. Take it easy....we're glad you're here.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, I have those same thoughts too. Scary at times, afraid that I'll screw my sobriety up somehow.
I just think it has 2 do with the brain wanting me 2 drink. I just keep busy and push those thoughts out of my head. I pray too.
Congratulations on day 90 today.
Stay strong, keep yr plan.