Notices

OT, really bummed out

Old 10-25-2009, 01:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT, really bummed out

The new cat is gone.

Yesterday, after days of discussion and trying to find an alternative solution, I took in a cat that was destined to be put to sleep by the owners because they didn't want it any more. I have an older female cat, the new one was male, and I also have two dogs.

Well, this morning the new cat got out the back door and is now gone. That breaks my heart. I've driven around the neighborhood several times, searched my back yard, looked in every nook and cranny, all to no avail.

I guess the change was too much for the cat, and last night I sat with it, tried to comfort it, because its little heart was about to burst out of its chest and it was scared of my dogs, who weren't too friendly towards it, but I hate to think of that cat being out there all alone. I'm going to distribute fliers, and leave its food dish out, and just pray that it finds its way back here to its new home.

Damn.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
not little, a stranger no more

Sorry to hear about your cat. It must be really upsetting when a pet runs away, especially when you were only trying to help it. I really hope it finds the way back to your home.
Chances are that it was scared and confused and went into hiding not too far away and can be found. Maybe a scent that's familiar/its own scent can help it find its way back, and maybe you have any toys or other stuff that it already had when living with its previous owners and that you could put outside along with the food bowl? I wish you all the luck,
S.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hope Kitty Comes Back

We have 2 cats, both of which were strays. Although one was so frightened and scared when she found us, she must have either gotten lost from her owners or been abandoned. Anyway, once we (or them?) decided they were our pets, we kept them indoors. I have seen too many kitty "pancakes" to do otherwise. If (and I sure hope you do) find the cat, start by keeping it in a room by itself with a litter box and food, hopefully in a somewhat quiet area. We used the spare bathroom. Visit it once in a while quietly. Let it get used to the smells and sounds of the house for a few days, even. Then maybe try another room, gradually expanding its universe. We found that our cats don't even try to get out. When the door is open, they shy away from it. They know what it was like to be out there and don't want to go again. One could sort of liken it to our situation I guess. We know what it was like "out there." Why would we want to go out again? But yet we have, again and again. If only I could be as smart as my cats. Good luck.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wink

..I'd get a brand new kitten...it will grow into your heart
and surroundings..an love ya forever!!! Ozzy..
Old 10-25-2009, 02:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Aw firestorm, that sucks. Hope you find him soon!
Old 10-25-2009, 03:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Dunno much about cats, D
but take it easy mate

D
Old 10-25-2009, 04:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Our current cat was from a rescue centre and the morning after we got him he escaped from the house. We were heartbroken and, like you, we searched the garden, toured the neighbourhood, asked the local kids to help us search for him and prepared 'Lost Cat' flyers. We even thought our other cat might seek him out and bring him home but 'twas not to be. Two days passed and there was no sign of him until he peered through our patio doors! He's never wandered since.

On a funnier note he was named Jim when we got him from the rescue centre but we decided to call him Finlay. This was partly because we had a neighbour called Jim and I didn't want to be calling his name late at night when I thought it was time for the cat to come in!.

I hope you find him soon and remember that cats have a habit of returning to their original home. Some even make it back after travelling 100s of miles.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
getting there

Hi firestorm, I totally understand. Right now I have a cat sleeping peacefully on my couch who I took in for the same reason five years ago. I remember that first night, and the heart beating in fear, and comforting him. Cats are so loyal, and they love you so much. I hope yours comes back - maybe try leaving some food or treats outside your door, or anything you have that might have his smell on it. He is probably freaked out by the new circumstances and your other pets, but he'll eventually have to revert to his instincts.

Best of luck, keep us posted!
Old 10-25-2009, 09:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Gosh, he came home, he's here, right in front of me. I can't tell ya how good it feels, it's like I'd lost a son or daughter, gosh, what a great feeling to have him home.

Thanks for all your concern, he's eating now and all should be ok.

You know, all ******** aside, you folks are the best.

Dallas
Old 10-25-2009, 09:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

good news mate

D
Old 10-26-2009, 11:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great news and I fully understand how you felt when he'd disappeared and the great feeling when you saw him again.

He was probably just checking out the chicks in the neighbourhood!
Old 10-26-2009, 11:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I had a feeling this might happen - I'm so glad for you both. In spite of the challenge of adjusting to a new home, it seems he must trust you or he would've stayed away.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Dunno much about cats, D
but take it easy mate

D
Ditto to the Fire. :ghug3
Old 10-26-2009, 06:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
getting there

This makes me feel so good! Give him an extra snuggle from us.