Notices

Old 10-24-2009, 01:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
jaw

hi everyone. i cant seem to post a new thread so i hope people can read it on this thread. i am really glad i found this site. to start with i am in my early 20's and have a problem with binge drinking. the more posts i read on this site the more i realise my problem will keep getting worse and destroy my life and relationship. i am after any advice on how to overcome this problem with maybe reading some books or other methods people have used to cut it out of their lifestyle. i have been to an aa meeting a few months ago and the advice i got from there was good but i felt uncomfortable and would prefer to tackle this in my own house. any advice would be great. thankyou
Old 10-24-2009, 08:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jaw,

I moved this to its own thread so you can get a proper welcome.

I'm glad you are seeking support here!
Old 10-24-2009, 08:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Anna! That's way cool!
Old 10-24-2009, 09:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
mergirl

jaw, I went to the library and looked up addiction recovery books, used the SR chat room and the SR boards as my main form of support. I too felt uncomfortable going to my first meeting. That being said, I think it is really important to keep you options open, and if you find this website and books are not enough, don't be afraid to keep pushing through your discomfort to get better. One thing I know is that those long time sober people at meetings, and here on these boards have something special and wonderful that we want.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome jaw! You are in the right place. I'd suggest getting to a meeting and finding a sponsor, though it may be uncomfortable. Contrary action is what I was taught. Best of luck!

Old 10-24-2009, 09:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome jaw! You are correct by saying things will only get worse...it does. The bottom line comes down to wanting to quit more than you want to drink. Not to worry, aa is not necessary for sobriety....many folks here don't utilize it. When I quit I read everything I could on addictions...google is amazing! Stick around.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!

Keep coming back, you'll find a lot of support here.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
jimbo

welcome jaw

not drinking is tough but its do-able i'm at nearly five months not drinking

i used to not be able to go five hours

try to think of i wont drink right now this minute

try not to think about how long you have not drank for

when i did my first day i could not believe it

i did two weeks and then i hit a low spot i was so very lonely all my buddys were in the pub,but if you can stay sober for a week or two when you do see your buds all drunk and falling over talking crud you will think oh no was i really like them

not to mention when you stop drinking for a month your health gets so much better and you feel great

i will never drink again .. i feel that great
Old 10-24-2009, 10:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome jaw! I sent you a pm before the thread got posted for ya..but welcome again!
Old 10-24-2009, 01:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
jaw

thanks for the pm mirage. and thankyou to firestorm for starting me another thread but i managed to work out to post one aswell as this one getting created for meand thankyou so far for everyones support. i will be getting on sr everyday to read new posts and keep everyone updated on my progress. i feel alot better this morning after a good sleep and not drinking last night. just have to get back on track and stop choosing to drink over spending quality time with my partner
Old 10-24-2009, 02:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome Jaw! It is possible to stay sober, but as was said, you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink. It does take some effort, and changing of things in your life, but it is so worth it.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

welcome to sr.lots of support to be found here!
Old 10-24-2009, 02:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome

Welcome Jaw! I have 4 days....You can do this!
Old 10-24-2009, 02:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
jaw

i just dont understand why everyone wants to get drunk out and party. when im not drinking i cant think of anything worse then to do that but once i drink it all changes. surely everyone else must feel the same as we do after drinking, regret , not remembering the majority of the night, feeling so down for hurting the people you care about and so on. when im not drunk i dont really care about my so called drinking buddys but when i drink i dont care about the people most important to me. its messed up the way it transforms a person, disgusting really
Old 10-24-2009, 03:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

Originally Posted by jaw View Post
surely everyone else must feel the same as we do after drinking, regret , not remembering the majority of the night, feeling so down for hurting the people you care about and so on.

Not everybody feels this way after drinking. Welcome to SR, this place helped me in so many ways!
Old 10-24-2009, 05:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero