Notices

Yoga

Old 10-24-2009, 04:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Yoga

Three things I'm finding helpful, so thought I'd share.
May not be useful to all of course, like so much in life!

Yoga: any form of yoga poses really helps. yogajournal.com has great info on poses that you can string together and do at home.

Omega 3: from psychologist friend and also a natural health MD, this really helps w/depression. I think what they advertise on these fish pills is true, its helped me in the past and am trying it again.

Vitamin D3: for our alcoholic bones that have taken a beating.

Off to stretch and greet Day 8. So far to go, but aiming to stay in the present and not get wiggy about the road ahead.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are doing OK watson, don't forget the B vits.

Staying in the present is key IMO.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Watson, I practice yoga and I agree that it helps. I started doing yoga during a stressful time in my life to relieve stress, now I am hooked. I try to do at least 2 classes per week, maybe even 3 if I can. I always feel a hundred times better coming out than I did going in!

Namaste! And stay in the moment!
Old 10-24-2009, 05:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Watson,

Congrats on your sobriety. Can you explain the vitamin D/bones thing?
Old 10-24-2009, 06:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for sharing your 3 ...well done on your sober time

To get back in balance mentally and physically here are my
top 3 ......

!. I was following an eating plan + vitamins I found in the book
"under The Influence"
2. I walked daily to
3. An AA meeting for support and directions on how to live sober.

Forward we go...side by side ....
Old 10-25-2009, 04:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Dgillz. The vitamin D3 thing is apparently a better form of Vitamin D than D2, it stays in the system longer I think. Drinking leads to osteoporosis so bone health is diminished in heavy drinkers. There's also good evidence on D3 for mental health - helping against depression. We apparently need a lot more Vit D than in the past because we avoid sun (sunscreen) which has been man's key source of it. Of course, this presumes I believe what I've read and heard - though I think its pretty accepted as good science.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Watson,

Interesting stuff. I always think of osteoporosis as a woman's disease, but I know men are not immune. I guess I can find D3 OTC at any drug store?
Old 10-25-2009, 05:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If not a drug store, maybe a health food store.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I went to my bookstore looking for 'Under The Influence' and it was out of stock at the time but I picked up 'Beyond The Inlfuence' which was written as an "updated companion" book to the original. This book is LOADED with great info about supplements, how drinking specifically effects different organs/systems of the body and information on how to begin to repair that damage. I wish I had this book from the very beginning of my recovery, it is shocking how little I really knew about my "best friend" of 15 years, and I might not have gained so much weight eating sweets the past three months.

Yoga - I just started again, I am finding yoga helpful when I am overemotional, when my heart hurts, when my brain is racing. The last three nights I have done a few calming poses before bed and it has helped with my inablity to sleep.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I am qualified to say what I'm about to say -
my mother taught and studied yoga.

Fat yoga sucks.

It's all well and good and all that - but if you're overweight - it's a rats' arse.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Re: Yoga

Yoga is one of the best exercise which helps to keep our mind and body healthy. It gives a healthy and peaceful life. It relieves us from stress. I got more information about yoga from the yogasuppliesonline.com they gave many good tips and useful information. They provide different yoga mats, yoga supplies and yoga products.They are good instructor too. Thanks for sharing this useful information. It will be very useful for the readers.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I love me some yoga. Not only does yogajournal.com have poses you can string together, it also has short videopodcast classes that are nice.

The only thing is since I have joined AA, I've only been going to meetings and missing my yoga time. Guess I need to find a balance.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I LOVE yoga! I have taken classes before, but I really enjoy doing DVDs at home alone.

My favorite DVD workouts are the Total Yoga series. I can't link them (not enough posts) but go to Amazon.com and search Total Yoga 4 Pack if you're interested. White Lotus Foundation is the center that created the dvd series, and they're amazing.