Notices

Bad dreams

Old 10-23-2009, 03:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bad dreams

hello follks ever since i stopped drinking way back ,,febuary 2nd 2009..i feel great but i keep getting horrible dreams ,the most common one is where i am drinking again and that i am back to square one ,,and when i wake up i am so relieved its unreal..the dreams are so real too like im down my local drinking away and before i know it im in that horrible world again ohh no i say to my self here we go again all that hard work starts again ,,,and im at my detox centre and stuff ,,then bang i wake up with such a relief ,,but it can make me feel pretty crap for the rest of the day ,,,,,,I am wondering what is causing this ,,is this still part of the recovery ,,,thanks for reading

cheers the butchville
Old 10-23-2009, 04:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

About 3 weeks ago I posted almost an identical thread. I was told it's perfectly normal and yes they feel so damn real and very scary. I'd rather dream of monsters and running away from a killer. Mmmmmh I guess that's exactly what's happening. I had one last week and woke up with such a relief that it was only a dream. Try and keep the reality: You are sober and you will be for that day too. Talking about it helps. One morning I actually was angry with my husband because in my dream he drew me a bath and poured a full glass of wine next to it. 'Poor sod'. I guess I was more angry because the bath thing would never ever happen Have a good day and don't worry it's so normal.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's a common thing butchville - very common

someone else here may know the science...I'm not a dream analyser...I chose to believe they didn't really mean anything...if anything I figure I lived that way for so long...it takes a while to readjust...

The good news is they seem to fade...I know I haven't had a drinking dream in a very long time

D
Old 10-23-2009, 05:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I have dreams like that sometimes. The last one I had was right before I hit 6 months...I woke up feeling like I had blown my sobriety...and I had to walk myself through my "memories" to realize that the "memories" were pieces of a dream. The part that scared me the most was that in my dream I told myself I couldn't celebrate my 6 months b/c I blew it...and I'd have to fess up on SR.

Still sober.

Hang in there, BV. Shoot, when I'm not having drinking dreams I'm having some kind of a nightmare going on...all of my dreams have been really vivid lately. But anyways...be nice to yourself and feel good that you're really sober.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

i have not really ever been sure what my dreams or nightmares represent. i have come to realize that my dreams are affected by so much that there's no realistic way to indentify the cause or the source of them. i do know that it's what i do with them that is more important than what they mean. i can chose to let them affect my attitude and actions throughout the day OR i can pray to the God of my understanding and read recovery related literature to "reset" myself. i am not defined by the dreams i have & they are not the reality of my life today. There just dreams. There alot like my feelings, i don't have to understand them, i just have to get through them clean & sober!
Old 10-23-2009, 05:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had wrote a huge thing about this on my blog this morning, couldn't post it and wrote a shorter message tonight. I had something like this this morning, I don't think I had the dream but overwhelming guilt and yeh, it totally put me on a downer the whole day as well. I'm only on day 8 though, but good news from Dee there that it will fade.

Give me that feeling than a hangover anyday though!!!
Old 10-23-2009, 06:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

Those nightmares lasted around a year after for me. It was a relief to wake up and realize it was only a dream and i was still sober in full control of my senses.

But just the other night i had one but its only because i watched a youtube clip of a fall down drunk guy in a store getting more beer. The surveillance video went on for 8 minutes of this guy trying to stand up and make his way to the check out. He never let go of the case of beer even while falling or laying on the floor trying to sit up. Anyway it kinda sparked a feeling of being totally out of control hence the nightmare that night.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I think some of the drinking dreams
is the body signaling that it's at work
healing dammaged organs
this can take more than a year to complete

and since it's the same organ
that we damaged drinking
it translated in the mind
as a drinking dream.

Sometimes we're working out things
we might have done we're not too terribly proud of having done
in the dream
coming to terms with these thigs
in the dream
before tackling them
in 3-D.
We'll almost always work out problems on the dreaming level
before bringing it into this dimension.

the only one *I* had
in this three years
I was sitting at teh bar I worked at
with all the same cronies
and I looked down and was nursing a wine cooler.
I *hated* wine coolers.
I turned to my 'friend' and said
"hell now I KNOW this is a dream - look what the hell I'm drinkin'!"

LOL

These dreams some and go ...
I've seen them really disturb people
and others laugh it off
because they awake
and they haven't drank.

I could TASTE the wine cooler, the dream was that vivid.

Hope that helps!
Old 10-23-2009, 07:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

sorry fo the typos - crappy keyboard here at work. Keys stick.

I forgot - but want to include -

I know other people who will have 'phases' of bad dreams
and/or drinking dreams
that coincide with cycling depression or anziety disorders.

that, too, I think is the mind interpreting
the body 'talking' while sleeping.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

^ wow some good info Mizz Dwyer you should be an addictions counsler hehe^
Old 10-23-2009, 08:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

a blind leading the blind kind or thing, you mean? LOL!
Old 10-23-2009, 10:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
BKP

We all have a disease that tells our mind we don't have a disease. I have had similar dreams and nightmares at least we can wake from these and not live them like we all have in the past.