Notices

how important do you think it is to get

Old 10-22-2009, 03:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

how important do you think it is to get

a year coin??someone asked me today if I was going to stand up and get mine at the beginning of Nov. and I'm not. It doesn't mean that much to me that I have a year. It's been a long time since I've thought about drinking or drugging. I don't have a sponsor and I don't do meetings all the time.

My life is so much better now and it feels like the changes in me are all good and life is still a struggle but do able.

so I'd like to hear from you all what it means to stand up and receive a coin
thanks
Old 10-22-2009, 03:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

I think its great--getting a year sober! Congrats! Whether or not to pick up a coin is up to you, of course. However, I do think that by getting one...(I assume you are talking about at the group in front of others).....that it might give some hope to the newcomer. Maybe they will look at you and think--"well, if he can do it--then maybe I can too."
Old 10-22-2009, 03:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I agree with Ang, chips are taken to show the newcomer that the program works, long-term recovery is possible.

Oh, and another thing I was told to pay attention to is the amount of chips that are handed out for less than one year. Quite a lot. Very few people make it as far as one year.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was overwhelmed when I received my one year coin. I had acheived a year of being completely drug and alcohol free. At my homegroup they give monthly coins for months 1-11 and also they give out the 24 hour chip. On my one year, one month anniversary I was a little resentful that now that I had acheived a year of sobriety I had to wait another year before getting a coin.
The fact is it doesn't matter how many coins I have. I wake up every morning and I start a brand new day. I still have a daily reprieve and must work my program every day.
I agree with those that have posted earlier though, picking up the coins can be an inspiration to the newcomer.
I celebrated 2 years in August and still haven't picked up a coin. I think I'll pick it up at the next meeting. Thanks for reminding me that it's not all about me!!
Old 10-22-2009, 03:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

it meant a LOT to me.

it was the first time in my life I'd met all the requirements of anything.
12 months... 12 steps... the whole shebang.
ANYTHING.
it meant I'd changed something ... fundamental.. in my personality.

I 'still' love that coin the best. It was a hell of a year.

I say go get your coin.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Very important, for you and the newcomer who needs to see it really does work!!!!
Old 10-22-2009, 05:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi! I think everyone is different and their journey of recovery is just as different. I stopped getting my NA key tags after 90 days. I didn't think they meant that much, just a trinket, to me. My first 90 days, they did mean that I was accomplishing something and working towards my goal of staying crack free. I don't go to many meetings myself, nor do I have a sponsor. I don't think everyone needs to have all of those things. I think, for some people (a few, a lot, I have no idea and am not trying to suggest that anyone take the same path), making sure you stay clean for yourself is enough. For me, I have extremely supportive friends and family surrounding me. They have stressed that they want to be a part of my recovery. But I still have to want it for myself, and I do.
Each person is truly different. So, I wouldn't think it out of the ordinary to not care, either way, about whether or not you get the coin. Just make sure to treat yourself nice about your 1 year.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

The coins were very important to me and my year celebration was a HUGE deal to me. My husband and son actually attended the meeting where I took my cake and token.

I do think it is important for the newcomer to see that it can be done. But to be honest with you, I do not think you can begin to understand the importance or feel it really, unless you have really worked the program and live the 12 steps of recovery in your daily life.

I have been sober without a program (ended up using again) and I have been sober with a program. They have been completely different experiences for me. Though I stayed sober without a program for quite a few years. For me, it was like the difference between living with a guy and being married. Today I commit on a daily basis to my recovery. I am proud of that and the life I live today, and I want to share it with everyone that wants to celebrate with me.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Your sponsor would be an ideal person to answear that question.
Why not give them a call and find out what they think about it?

i recieve my anniversary keytag & coin at my Homegroup as a way
of letting everyone know that i am grateful for recieving their help.
Also shows the newcomer that recovery is possible if we don't use.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

thanks everyone
lots to ponder
I do work a program and have come along way this year it just doesn't involve AA as the biggest part. I'm learning to be independent, do things that make me happy and learning to say No and most important is reconnecting with my husband and kids as a new person. Life is good most days and i'm not the same person I was.

thanks again.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations!!!

Maybe think in terms of getting the coin for the folks that are new to the program?
Old 10-23-2009, 10:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Whether you get your coin or not, congrats on making one year clean and sober!! :ghug3
Old 10-23-2009, 01:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I need to acknowledge my progress in any positive way I can
One year was a massive acheivement
It also gives back to other members