a down hill spiral

Old 10-22-2009, 01:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

a down hill spiral

Hi,

Well, this week my father decided to take a week's vacation. Usually he stays home and plans special chores and things to do around the house. He did get a few done but the other 3/4 he cannot get done.

Because of his vacation and no obligations of work he drank about three large bottles of Vodka in three days.

Drinks early in the morning, during the night. Passes out and just sleeps a lot. Talks in his sleep and speaks vulgar words and doesn't remember it.

My mom says in the past he would get up in the night and not make it to the toilet and pee on the wall instead.

I see his bizarre behavior during the day and am disturbed by it. I do go to counseling with my own problems with anxiety and depression but I have no counseling dealing with a alcohol dependent family member.

I want to know how to deal with it since he won't deal with it himself. At least I can learn to accept what I cannot change.

It's a wonder he hasn't drank himself into a coma or something.

I had a boss who could easily hide her problem. Somebody once said she would just die and that she would be "pickled". I guess it means she'd be full of alcohol.

I seriously don't know what to do. No one else will help us so I need to find someone or something to help me deal with this.

I will look into support groups or something.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi,

Welcome. Have you attended al anon? It is a support group for families and friends of alcoholics. The meetings are free and have helped many here immensely.

There is a website that will list local meetings in your area. Just google al anon.

Hugs
Old 10-22-2009, 02:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I will check into this.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

and keep on coming back here Help, there's lot's of support here from people who know how it is. Take care.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome! My dad is an alcoholic, so I understand your pain. This is a great place to learn how to deal with your dad's alcoholism! Hugs!