Effects of AD on her brother

Old 10-22-2009, 01:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Effects of AD on her brother

The last couple of months our 16 year old son has started being obsessed with locking the doors, even when we are all home. I have been a complete nag about this. It was so annoying to get locked out when I would run out to get something out of the car or whatever. He got really upset one day when I forgot to lock the back door. I asked him why he kept locking us in or out and he just says "I forgot. I'm sorry."

Yesterday afternoon we were sitting in the family room and he is showing off the new dumbells when we hear the front door open, the dogs start barking and we hear someone say "Mom." He froze, then jumped up and looked absoutely panicked. We realized that it just was my niece and her daughter stopping by. My son says "You just scared the crap out of me! I thought you were my sister!!" WOW! The door locking thing all started about the time our AD was arrested for selling heroin.

After they left, I apologized to him about being such a nag about it, told him I completely understood why he was afraid and wouldn't complain about it again. He often sticks up for his sister, so I hadn't even considered that this was effecting him in this way.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

yep, as they say "its a family disease" I'm so sorry it has effected your son. Thankfully, since you now know why he has an obsession with the locked doors, your son will be more open with you about his fears.

Hugs,
Chris
Old 10-22-2009, 02:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We had a really nice conversation! He thought it was funny that we used to try and keep her in, now he was tying to keep her out! Our house used to be all confrontation and no conversation, so this is a much welcomed change. The best was when he started to walk toward his room and turned around and said "Hey Mom, don't worry I already locked the front door." and grinned.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That certainly sounds like a step in the right direction for your family.