Medical Marijuana

Old 10-21-2009, 03:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Medical Marijuana

Talking about this topic with some friends at work today (we're all nurses). This is a hot topic in CO right now with several small mt towns voting on having dispensaries and not convicting anyone with an ounce or less.

Now I have no problem with pot. I don't. Never smoked it, never will. I actually think it's rather harmless. I've never taken care of anyone who wrecked their car or beat up their girlfriend because they were high. Alcohol is the culprit most of the time with that. BUT, what I do have a problem with is all these idiots screaming and yelling about their "medical need" for pot. How they suffer if they don't have it! Now, I do know it does benefit people with certain ailments, but come on, most of the people that I know that want or have a card aren't really sick! They just found a way for a legal hit.

If you wanna get high, get high, but stop hiding behind the "medically necessary" card. Makes me sick. The fact that they scream so loud about his "right" shows me how desperately they need it.

Just curious how people on this side of the fence, who have had problems with people with addiction issues, feel about this topic.

Like to just compair perspectives....
Old 10-21-2009, 04:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Only stepping forward

In a little bit of a way it does scare me, especially in this economy right now. How many people are going to do it to drown away their temporary awful lives? It sounds to me like they are going to make getting pot easier than getting a job!! And how many people will be less afraid of doing it if there are no consequences?

On the other hand, I have a very close friend that does use it for physical pain. She is not addicted but she prefers it over pain killers and sedatives because, in her words, it doesn't make her feel jacked up like pain pills do. I have taken a few hits when she and other friends had one and I love how relaxed and calm I get. I've never craved a joint, maybe a hit or two a YEAR, and that won't change even if it is legalized.

I don't know. I think it has its ups and downs and I think it's going to be another thing for some people to try to play the system with.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

Are you kidding? You're a nurse and don't know chronic pain or neorological patients who's narcotics and pharmacuetical meds have horrible side effects?

You're not saying MM isn't a legitimate medicine, are you?

Sorry I work in drug reform and have seen horrific things done to MM patients who aren't idiots!! Folks in wheelchairs arrested and taken to jail for possession. Insane stuff. People are legitimatly sick and this type of mentality is what's kept them from having safe access to medicine!

My cousin is one, she has polycystic kidney disease that is killing her, like it killed her mother, and it truly helps her sleep without projective vomiting from her narcotic meds, she has to take tons of them but the MM...

Oh wait. Hold on.

I think this is a really bad idea. You have pushed my buttons, rather, I have allowed you.

You're attacking these folks but it's their business, not yours. Why are you coming here announcing that others choices in medicine makes you "sick" has nothing to do with you. It makes you "sick?" Why? You're being judgemental and it has nothing to do with you.

It doesn't sound like you want to compare perspectives, but commiserate and judge others.

If you want to compare perspectives, talk to the MM patients. I"m sure there are druggies who just want to get high, but I've talked to, interviewed hundreds of sick people who are being persecuted by this very attitude. It's very hurtful to me and I implore you to do research.
Go here for starters
ASA : Advancing Legal Medical Marijuana Therapeutics and Research

I will back out of this thread now and not come back so I don't get myself into trouble.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Originally Posted by BS08 View Post

Just curious how people on this side of the fence, who have had problems with people with addiction issues, feel about this topic.

I think that your question belongs in the substance abuse forum. This forum is for Friends and Family members of Alcoholics.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

maybe a hit or two a YEAR, and that won't change even if it is legalized.
And if you think about this, legalizing pot won't increase its usage. How many people do you know who say, "as soon as pot is legal I"m going to try it?" Anyone who wants to already does.

In all the states with medical marijuana, teen use has decreased. I guess if grandma uses dope, it ain't cool. That and giving kids the facts about marijuana, not hyped up scare bull crap, teaches them that we respect them enough to be truthful.
OK, now I'm really leaving.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Only stepping forward

Originally Posted by transformyself View Post
Are you kidding? You're a nurse and don't know chronic pain or neorological patients who's narcotics and pharmacuetical meds have horrible side effects?

Sorry I work in drug reform and have seen horrific things done to MM patients who aren't idiots!! Folks in wheelchairs arrested and taken to jail for possession. Insane stuff. People are legitimatly sick and this type of mentality is what's kept them from having safe access to medicine!

My cousin is one, she has polycystic kidney disease that is killing her, like it killed her mother, and it truly helps her sleep without projective vomiting from her narcotic meds, she has to take tons of them but the MM...

Oh wait. Hold on.

I think this is a really bad idea. You have pushed my buttons, rather, I have allowed you.

You're attacking these folks but it's their business, not yours. Why are you coming here announcing that others choices in medicine makes you "sick" has nothing to do with you. It makes you "sick?" Why? You're being judgemental and it has nothing to do with you.

It doesn't sound like you want to compare perspectives, but commiserate and judge others.

If you want to compare perspectives, talk to the MM patients. I"m sure there are druggies who just want to get high, but I've talked to, interviewed hundreds of sick people who are being persecuted by this very attitude. It's very hurtful to me and I implore you to do research.
Go here for starters
ASA*:*Advancing Legal Medical Marijuana Therapeutics and Research

I will back out of this thread now and not come back so I don't get myself into trouble.
I think you misunderstood what she was saying; that I or did. She wasn't saying it didn't have benefits or wasn't good. She was referring to people who DON'T have a medical issue but come up with one just for a legalized hit. My friend is in pain, she NEEDS hers. Xabf will say anything and everything to get it, even though doctors for years deny him even pain pills.

And, yes, I've heard a lot of people say once it's legalized they'll do it. But as far as I'm concerned, who cares what they decide.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Until my health got worse and I could no longer work, I did home care of the terminally ill and he totally incapacitated (I am an LPN).

I saw how MM helped my Cancer Patients, I saw how it gave them back a bit of quality in their lives, inistead of being so drugged up on opiates that all they could do was nod in a stupor. I saw how it brought back their appetite after weeks of Chemo and massive weight loss. I have also seen how it has helped people with advanced Glaucoma.

I do believe that MM needs to be tightly regulated. I also believe that the only Drs that be allowed to actually authorize or write a prescription for MM should be those that specialize in the 'fields' of medicine that it seems to help, ie Oncologist, Opthamologists, etc

Will more folks want to try it, I don't know, but .......................... I do believe it is so plentiful now that anyone wanting to try Pot could.

I do believe making it MM legal and putting controls on it, that the person with script must carry their card (with their picture) on it at all times and that their prescription come from an 'authorized' doctor for their particular ailment.

A&E did a show on Monday Night on their Inervention Series "Pot City" about Humboldt County in California and one city Arcata in particular and what has happened. It showed both the good and the bad, and gave those who watch a lot to think about in how the laws for MM need to be structured with the 'restictions' some of which I mentioned above that would help to keep from happening what is happening in Arcata.

This is a 'topic' I do believe we are going to be seeing in the news a lot more, and hear being discused a lot more by folks like you and I and legislative bodies of states.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 10-21-2009, 11:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh wait. Hold on.

Go here for starters
ASA*:*Advancing Legal Medical Marijuana Therapeutics and Research

Hey Transform

I think you total misunderstood what I'm saying and sorry for having pushed your buttons. I'm not talking about the people who really need it. I take care of them, and if that works, great! It's better than loading up on Vicodin. I don't have issue with that. I was refering to the people that have absolutely NO ailments and use this as a way to get pot.

I think it just annoys me because seeing my exabf and his friends get all excited about this issue and how to jump on the wagon when I have people I'm taking care of that have real pain. I know it really doesn't matter and it's none of my business, just bothers me that something that does some people a lot of good is abused by others.

Okay, should of left this topic in the breakroom....
Old 10-21-2009, 11:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

oops! Sorry!
I work in drug reform as I mentioned and have heard horrible, horrible things said about MM patients and drug addicts. Stuff like: the woman who was murdered by a SWAT team serving a drug warrant on her boyfriend (she was holding her 13 month baby and his finger was blown off when they shot and killed her) and folks said she deserved it because "she let drugs in her house".

I'm sorry I went off on you. Please forgive me..
Old 10-21-2009, 11:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BS08 View Post
just bothers me that something that does some people a lot of good is abused by others.
This is true about a large percentage of prescription drugs, not just pot.

L
Old 10-21-2009, 12:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

oops! Sorry!
I work in drug reform as I mentioned and have heard horrible, horrible things said about MM patients and drug addicts. Stuff like: the woman who was murdered by a SWAT team serving a drug warrant on her boyfriend (she was holding her 13 month baby and his finger was blown off when they shot and killed her) and folks said she deserved it because "she let drugs in her house".

I'm sorry I went off on you. Please forgive me..
No worries Transform. I love your passion.....
Old 10-21-2009, 12:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaTeeDa View Post
This is true about a large percentage of prescription drugs, not just pot.

L
Ain't that the truth. But pot abuse doesn't seem to have the side affect that the others do. These prescription narc will kill your liver and burn a hole in your stomach from abusing them. It's pretty ugly. And you develop a tolerance for it that makes you have to take more and more to get any kind of relief. People who are addicted to prescrip. narcs really aren't fun to take care of...
Old 10-21-2009, 05:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

Now I'm really sorry I went off on you. I understand, I think.

And getting addicted to perscriptions drugs is SO EASY. I have endometriosis and avoid taking the stuff they gave me-tramadol- until I just can't take the pain anymore because even if I take only 2 doses, when I stop they, I have horrible headaches.

So what you're saying is there are addicts that appropriate the legitimacy of medical marijuana? This is actually good for me to know because those guys will make it more difficult to have sane laws passed.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Did any of you guys even read Pelican's post?
Old 10-21-2009, 05:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

Of course we actually read the post. What's your point? Has it been moved? Are we now disallowed from commenting?
Old 10-21-2009, 05:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am sure this could be of interest to others here, esp those who have family etc on both alcohol and M.

I tried it a couple of times for my chronic pain. All I got was an unpleasant woozy feeling, headache and buzzing in ears, while it did sweet FA for the pain. If it works for those who need it, good for them. Frankly anyone can get it anytime, anywhere right now, and the only change being legal would make, would be to the hip pockets of the current growers and dealers.

God bless
Old 10-21-2009, 07:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

For the moment, I am closing this thread as it's getting too contentious. We may re-open it in another forum, or not. Seems like plenty of folks have had an opportunity to share.