Notices

Urges/craving

Old 10-20-2009, 06:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
it's all happening

Urges/craving

Hi all.

Today I want a drink baaadly. Nothing terrible is going on; just juggling the kids through a busy evening routine after a busy day out of the office (no time for SR today!) Now I'm alone, waiting for DH to get home, really really really wanting a beer. Or five.

There is none in the house, and I don't plan on having any, even if DH comes home with some. I just needed to write it all down and ask for some kind thoughts my way ...

PL
Old 10-20-2009, 06:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Penny,

You can get through this, and you will be stronger for doing it.

Good for you for not keeping alcohol in the house!
Old 10-20-2009, 07:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FREAKING AWESOME!

Hey Penny! Just remember one is never enough! You can get through this.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Agreed, one is never enough... you've come so far.

Is it just a habit that you think of alcohol, or any kind of (what passes for) actual reason?

You got through a month, and now you're thinking of it again after what's basically a routine (if hectic) day. Are you sure you're not just thinking something along the lines of "I did it for a month, I'm okay now" (although not quite in those words)?

Take care, Penny... and be careful.
-TB
Old 10-20-2009, 07:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It really takes a lot to ignore that wind down impulse - cos thats exactly how we wound down for so long - with a drink....

We both know where that way leads.

Have you though about other ways to relax Penny?

D
Old 10-20-2009, 07:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You'll get through it! (I'm a little late..you probably already have!) Hang in there, Penny..you're doing so great!
Old 10-20-2009, 08:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Have a cup of tea or a herbal tea of some kind mixed with a hot bath you will be good to go. (Take a hot bath not drink it... just in case it wasn't clear lol)

NB
Old 10-20-2009, 08:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Well, I'm on my way

Hang in there, Pennylane! I know, I just know that in time that urge will stop deviling us. Just remember, the future is so bright without the drink!
Old 10-20-2009, 10:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A new dawn and new chapter

You're on shaky ground, under no circumstance allow yourself to dwell on that thought for to long. I wish I would of taken some of the sage advise from here and put some of my own plans into action but I let the thought go to far and before I knew it I was on a near two month binge. That's not fun and it's not living, we all should know that by now. Stay here read and post, clean house, exercise, cook, watch a movie, read a book anything you can think of. Just don't put that poison back into your system and wake up regretting it!
Old 10-20-2009, 10:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

"This, too, shall pass"
Old 10-21-2009, 03:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Penny hang tough, I did several things early in sobriety to get by the cravings/obsessing, prayer, meditation, going to meetings & speaking with fellow recoveriing alcoholics was what I found to be an almost instant cure for craving/obsessing.

I could have never stayed sober without face to face support, I love SR, but it will never take the place of a good old fashioned hug of support and understanding from folks who have walked in my shoes, I was given hope by seeing first hand the twinkle in other recovering alcoholics eye, the air of serenity about them, and hearing them speak of what it was like, what happened, and what it is like now for them. For me that is and still is priceless.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

try writing a gratitude list,

think of all the things you can have by not drinking, and the things that you already have.

EG; roof, health, happyness, hope, freedom, peace of mind, options, oppertunitys,
and so on.......

when i think of what i have, rather than what i dont, i get grateful, and grateful alcoholics dont pick up !!

hope this helps,

god bless.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi all. I am really enjoying this site. It has helped me with my morning rituals for quite some time now. Thank you all for being there. John in Oklahoma
Old 10-21-2009, 05:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I too get cravings for 'just one', but I know it will never be 'just one' so I resist the cravings with all my strength. And I've never yet woken up to think "gee, I should have had alcohol last night." I'm always glad to wake up sober and ready for whatever the day throws at me. Stay strong.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
it's all happening

Thanks everyone! I got through just fine. Writing it out here really helped, just acknowledging the feeling and letting it pass.

DH did indeed come home with beer, and I was only sorta kinda tempted, but it passed. I kept praising myself for exercising my "resistance" muscle rather than my "giving in" muscles, and it worked. After a half hour or so, I wasn't even thinking about it.

I know I still have a long way to go to get through the tough parts. Thanks for all your support.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

YAY!!!! Congrats Penny on making it through. Good for you!!!
Old 10-21-2009, 08:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

that is really encouraging for me. Thank you for all your honesty and good job!