Alanon Meeting

Old 10-10-2009, 12:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Alanon Meeting

Tonight I heard some great insights at an AlAnon meeting and I thought I would share them. Maybe someone else will find some inspiration or peace from them.

Recovery is like a wheel. It goes around and around and sometimes we just have to spend a little while in the muck before we get up to the top.

Our higher power gives us many many chances to learn. So if we don't quite get it (the lesson we are supposed to learn) the first time, don't worry! We will be given many more times to keep trying to get it right. Once we do, many times this particular lesson ceases to have to keep being taught to us as often.

What is your reality? Not what you would like to have happen, but what is your reality, what you can control? (At first I thought well, my reality is I am married to an addict/alcoholic and all that goes with THAT) But as the woman continued to share she showed me that my reality is what is going on in my life that I actually have control over. I don't have control over what he does or does not do. I DO have control over what I do. It is NOT what I would like to have happen, or be, it is what IS. So my reality tonight is that I got to come home to a peaceful home and crawl into my comfortable bed and snuggle with my pugs and share with you guys! That is MY reality.

Thanks Guys for letting me share!
Old 10-10-2009, 03:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Certifiable Addict

Thanks Pug...I definitely needed to read this,this morning. As I am in the same exact situation, I believe. My husband is an abuser, and I am in recovery also, and I'm trying to detach myself from him,take care of myself, be respectful(which isnt easy,when he's high as a kite..)...

So, first things first, today a meeting, then work, then another meeting or talking with another supportive person. I get so caught up with projection and possible losses(namely my best friend),but today is what I need to be concerned with.
You really helped me with your post. I need to keep the focus on me and what I can do to better myself. Thanks!
Old 10-10-2009, 08:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good stuff, Pug!

I always smile when I see your avatar picture. I used to work for my vet, and one of my favorite clients was Clyde the pug! His dad brought in a picture for our photo album one day, and it was Clyde with a bone twice as big as him in front of him!

Pugs make me smile.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hi,
My husband is an alcoholic, not in recovery, addicted to marijuana also.
My stepdaughter and her boyfriend are meth addicts in recovery. I have struggled with alcohol myself. I really need to get back to al-anon and get some hope again. The worst thing right now is my dying Dad, he is in so much pain, and suffering , and the nursing home staff and doctors don't seem to care and just let him holler for hours on end. It is horrible. I try to be with him but I ask for pain meds (he can have them) and they only bring tylenol. Hopefully my Mom is going to talk to them and see why they wont give him the pain pills which he can take as needed like the tylenol. Thanks for letting my vent, It is a very depressing time.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

my reality tonight is that I got to come home to a peaceful home and crawl into my comfortable bed and snuggle with my pugs and share
Sounds like a really NICE reality to me!!! Congrats for reaching that peace and serenity!
Old 10-10-2009, 01:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing, those are good words. What is my reality, and what can I control? I will try to remember that as I go through the days. I love your user name and your avatar!
Old 10-11-2009, 09:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rubycanoe View Post
hi,
My husband is an alcoholic, not in recovery, addicted to marijuana also.
My stepdaughter and her boyfriend are meth addicts in recovery. I have struggled with alcohol myself. I really need to get back to al-anon and get some hope again. The worst thing right now is my dying Dad, he is in so much pain, and suffering , and the nursing home staff and doctors don't seem to care and just let him holler for hours on end. It is horrible. I try to be with him but I ask for pain meds (he can have them) and they only bring tylenol. Hopefully my Mom is going to talk to them and see why they wont give him the pain pills which he can take as needed like the tylenol. Thanks for letting my vent, It is a very depressing time.

So sorry for what is going on in your life right now. Just remember, AlAnon is for YOU and sometimes when everything is at its craziest is when we need to do something for ourselves that is really nourishing and good. I hope you are able to find a meeting and have a little serenity. It sounds like you really need it right now!