Get busted for drugs - lose your kid.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Get busted for drugs - lose your kid.

ITs that simple. And after you get out you have six months to REALLY turn things around, or your kid gets put up for adoption.
Well that the "moral" to my story. For years we had told my sis-in-law to straighten out or CPS would take her son. ALso told my brother to split up from her and raise the kid himself. We might as well have been talking to a rocks. For years my family has been providing them with a nice home so they could get their acts together and make enough to have their own place. She'd go out to find drugs and he's stay home with the kid (and not be able to work). Or when he was working, he'd be called home with various problems too many times. Or he couldn't work because she was in jail, again, for some drug offense.
Finally last March she got arrested for a 7th time, and this time the Police called CPS because the house was so messy. CPS looked at her entire history, and decided the kid would be better off in a foster home. They gave them "one last chance" to straighten out. SHe had to do NA, IOP, and random drug testing. He had to do Nar-Anon and some counseling.
Since September, she seemed like she was in recovery. She was doing her meetings etc. They were set for a hearing in November to judge their progress. Yesterday, my bro gets a letter in the mail saying the November meeting is cancelled, CPS is recommending kid get adopted, and there will be a hearing on this in April.
Well they asked me for money to get a lawyer. At first I agreed, then another family told me something that changed my mind. She's been drinking. The hard stuff. I dont know but this could have shown up in her drug test. When I told my brother "no way" for help with the lawyer, she called back and called me names and even told me not to come over (to property that I co-own and am in control of!!) My brother told me they are going to try to fight CPS, but CPS is not going to send a kid back to someone who's now an alcoholic with a old DUI on her record!!
So now I guess I have to really kick them out, there's no reason 2 people need to live in a big 3 bedroom house. I hope someone in the family can adopt the kid. Sorry the story ended up like this. Some addicts think that because they are white, middle class, and college educated this wouldnt happen to them, but it just did to my brother and his wife.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Wow! I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. It's so sad the lengths that an addict will go, never even thinking about how it can affect the lives of their children. Most everyone thinks...It can't happen to me. Unfortunately, it can happen to anyone. I hope those kids are able to be taken by another family member so they don't lose everything familiar to them. This addiction thing really sucks bullets.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
totfit

It's a shame that it has to come to this sometimes, but it is an all to regular story. As for the "middle class" part of it, sounds as if they have been "middle class" only through others means. Unfortunately, it takes what it takes for addicts and alcoholics to reach that moment of clarity where they can escape, but more often than not it doesn't happen. I wish all involved the best.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How sad for the kids...the real victims of drug abuse yet again.

I pray for them. I pray that they land in a safe, healthy and secure home. I pray that they will get the counseling and support they need.

Today I'm saying a prayer for all the children that are victims of this selfish behavior.

Hugs to you ventuhome. sounds like you and your family really tried and I applaud your decision not to help this couple get a lawyer to fight CPS.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks to all who replied, and all who took the time to read this post. Today I'm going over there to return some of her things to her. Probably will get yelled at, but if it gets worse than that will call 911. I told them that somebody in the foster care or adoption side of CPS probably already has agreed to adopt the boy, thats why CPS is moving so fast. Not something they wanted to hear but thats how the system works around here.