Notices

HI I am new to recovery

Old 10-06-2009, 06:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

HI I am new to recovery

I'm nicknamed goofers. I have read so many of the experiences of so many addicted to oxycodone and other drugs and the withdrawal they suffer through. Being a grandpa and retired salesman I thought it would never happen to me. I am a war vet with bad back and started going to Va hospital for help and at a point 2 years ago they started me on low dose of oxycodone with the promise of no addiction. Yeah sure.....the amounts increased to 10mg 3 times daily and while that is a small amount compared to some of the stories I read it still addicted me. I am now on day 5 of the withdrawal cold turkey, and the va is now helping me get off it by helping with the anxiety which is the worse part of it. The chills the being warm the diaherhea is about past. It is a devil drug for sure. I got through the first 5 days because of the help some of you posted and the courage you showed.
I'm proud to be a part and let you know grandpa's in their near 70's have problems too. I want so bad to be sober and I will get there despite the back pain. God is their for me and now I need to be there for him. At least I will be sober and aware of his love. Thank you all, and thank you God for the love and help.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Hi and welcome Goofers!! I am glad you are here, we are never to young or to old to get into recovery. We are almost neighbors, I am in Warren! I look forward to reading your posts..

Cathy
Old 10-06-2009, 06:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Well, I'm on my way

You show 'em how it's done, Grandpa!

It's good to have you with us. Looking forward to seeing you around some more Hope you feel much better real soon.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's a great post!

Welcome, and I am glad you're getting through this.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome! Glad you are here.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by goofers View Post
I'm nicknamed goofers. I have read so many of the experiences of so many addicted to oxycodone and other drugs and the withdrawal they suffer through. Being a grandpa and retired salesman I thought it would never happen to me. I am a war vet with bad back and started going to Va hospital for help and at a point 2 years ago they started me on low dose of oxycodone with the promise of no addiction. Yeah sure.....the amounts increased to 10mg 3 times daily and while that is a small amount compared to some of the stories I read it still addicted me. I am now on day 5 of the withdrawal cold turkey, and the va is now helping me get off it by helping with the anxiety which is the worse part of it. The chills the being warm the diaherhea is about past. It is a devil drug for sure. I got through the first 5 days because of the help some of you posted and the courage you showed.
I'm proud to be a part and let you know grandpa's in their near 70's have problems too. I want so bad to be sober and I will get there despite the back pain. God is their for me and now I need to be there for him. At least I will be sober and aware of his love. Thank you all, and thank you God for the love and help.
Yes it is gramps, and it doesn't care if you're young, old, smart, rich, poor! The fact you're reaching out is a good first step. Praying for ya!
Old 10-06-2009, 06:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family goofers - you can be the Grandpa. Thankfully, you realized what was happening to you & had the courage to take steps to stop it. Hoping to hear alot more about your journey.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
FREAKING AWESOME!

Welcome grandpa!! I am glad that you came here and I am glad we have been an inspiration to you. I couldn't do it on my own I had to go to detox so good for you with sticking with it! Keep coming back we really are a family here.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow didn't realize had so many out there reading. Just woke up with the sweats and got on the internet. Going to go back to bed and try to sleep. thank you for replys
Old 10-06-2009, 10:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Goofers
Great post - hope to see you around some more

D
Old 10-07-2009, 04:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Old 10-07-2009, 08:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Originally Posted by goofers View Post
God is their for me and now I need to be there for him. At least I will be sober and aware of his love. Thank you all, and thank you God for the love and help.
Welcome Goofers! I love the above quote you wrote!!!!! I'm with you on that 100%!!! Have a GOOD day today!

xxxx,
Nicki
Old 10-07-2009, 08:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for serving our country, Goofers.
I'm glad you're getting help with your withdrawal. And thanks for your post, and welcome!
Old 10-07-2009, 09:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Goofers your post brought back a memory from a couple of years ago. We had a gentleman who we thought was totally wheelchair ridden that had been coming to this one AA meeting I go to for about 4-5 months, this man was 84, well they were passing out chips and when they reached 6 months he forced his way upright fromn his wheelchair...... the entire room was so quiet you could hear a pin drop, slowly he made his way to the podium for his 6 month chip and asked for his 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5month chips as well, he had been physically incapable of getting up prior to that day, but due to being sober for 6 months he had found the strength and the will to do so.

It is never to late!!!! NEVER!!!!!!

Goofers you have my prayer for you and my support, I am the grandfather of 8 myself, but a few years younger then you, I am 55.

God speed my friend!
Old 10-07-2009, 12:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

goofers, good for you! You've got the right attitude for sure. Thanks for sharing as well.

This place is great for support, I love it here!! Welcome to SR!!
Old 10-07-2009, 06:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

So happens 14 kids by 2 marriages, 14 grandkids, 4 great grandkids. I go but by the grace of God. I am on the 6th day and doing much better now. Thank you for that story of the 84 year old gentleman. In spiring
Old 10-08-2009, 01:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

heya goofers...

Your post gave me strength!
Old 10-08-2009, 03:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Goofers I have 6 kids, by 2 marriages, I raised all 6. My 2 youngest are the twins, they are 17 so I probably got some more grand kids coming in the future!

Grand kids are awesome aren't they goofers!!!! Spoil the heck out of them and then send them home!!!!! LOL
Old 10-08-2009, 02:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

This is day 7 and the anxiety crept back and is driving me insane. Any info on about when the anxiety subsides? I have the pastor of my church and a elder coming over sat to pray with me and you can bet I will be in church sunday. God has gotten my attention for sure. Any of you call who ever you could and talk their heads off during the w/d? I think this is the last surge and I will finally get some relief from the oxy.
Thank you everyone for your support ...I need it. Now I know why so many fail in the first week.......know this I will not fail because God is carrying me.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Goofers

I think anxiety is pretty common to all of us no matter what drug we've used...it helped me think of it as a normal reaction to body and mind healing, rather than something being wrong.

It gets better - but pls see your Dr if it gets debilitating or you're at all worried

D