Notices

Scared of meetings

Old 10-06-2009, 11:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
FREAKING AWESOME!

Exclamation Scared of meetings

And yeah, I know it is silly to be scared to go to a meeting but I know I need to go because for the past two days I have been craving a pill and I really need to get this under control and talk about things before I screw up and use. So, I am going to a meeting tonight and I am scared to death but I am going to go. What advice would you give a newcomer to a meeting?
Old 10-06-2009, 11:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Well, I'm on my way

I don't know if this will be any help. I'm often afraid of things. It helps me to just do and not think about it first. Job 1, walk out the door. Job 2, get in the car (on the bus, whatever). Job 3, turn left, etc... all the way to Job-whatever, walking in the door.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ashleek View Post
What advice would you give a newcomer to a meeting?
Go with an open mind and listen for similarities rather than differences.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FREAKING AWESOME!

Thanks, when I was in detox which was about three weeks ago we had meetings that were open to the public. I loved the meetings because I seen myself in everyone there whether it was an alcoholic or an addict. It done some real good for me to go but it was more comfortable because I was a patient there and was expected to go. So, I want to go really really badly, I am just so shy I don't know what to do when I get there. I guess we will see. I hope I go, I need to stop thinking about it, hahah.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by Bob23 View Post
Go with an open mind and listen for similarities rather than differences.
Doesn't get much simpler than that. Take some time to check this out http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-about-aa.html
Old 10-06-2009, 12:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wink

just remember you are no better and no worse than anyone else there and everybody is trying to get better..
Old 10-06-2009, 12:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

what kind of meeting will you be attending tonight?

Just relax and try to identify not compare. I have yet to go to a meeting where I didn't feel welcomed. I love meetings.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mariechi View Post
I don't know if this will be any help. I'm often afraid of things. It helps me to just do and not think about it first. Job 1, walk out the door. Job 2, get in the car (on the bus, whatever). Job 3, turn left, etc... all the way to Job-whatever, walking in the door.
That sounds like the way I make it to the gym some days ;-) "I am just going to drop in, say hi to a few people & have a nice steam" of course I end up working out & feeling great... then have the well deserved steam.

I hope that you enjoy your meeting ashleek, there will be people there that completely understand what you are going through & have experience and guidance to share with you that nobody else can.

Go in with an open mind & a positive spirit and take away what connects/works for you.

Let us know how it goes.

Take Care,

NB

:day6
Old 10-06-2009, 01:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh I so know how this feels, even after 8 mths I still get scared and nervous at times. I was so shy at first, but when I realized everyone there was on my side....there to help and support me I started to relax and enjoy the meetings. I have even read, shared and spoke which are things I never thought possible. As hard as it is....facing your fears feels wonderful afterwards!!!
Old 10-07-2009, 08:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Did you go? How was it?
Old 10-07-2009, 09:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Nike Logo-- Just Do It!!

I hope you went and shared. I was nervous when I first started going to meetings. The great thing about sharing what you are going through is that you will find a lot of people who will reach out to you.

Good Luck!!
Old 10-07-2009, 09:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
FREAKING AWESOME!

I did go and I didn't really like it but I think that was just because of me. I was nervous and I got bored and aggervated with this one guy in there (I feel really bad saying that) and the meeting was on a "topic" so I didn't feel like it was a very free open meeting. It was about anger and resentment and lately that really doesn't appy to me. I don't know, I am going to another meeting tonight with a lady I have never met before. I called her today, left a message and she called me back. She said she would come to my house at about 630pm and then we could go to a meeting later. So, that was really nice to have a person who has been sober for awhile and take me under their wing. I am feeling pretty good about this meeting.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
FREAKING AWESOME!

Oh and I didn't share, I just really didn't have anything to say and the things I would have needed to talk about would have been 'off topic' so I don't know. I am shy too. When I was in detox I talked but it took me until someone called on me to get me to open up for the first time. So, I need to be pushed a little and me finding this women is a lot of help. She pretty much invited herself into my life and I really needed that!
Old 10-07-2009, 09:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You did GREAT!!!! Congratulations.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey Ashlee -- You can take or leave these ideas, as they represent my experience and opinion, but these are just a few things I've come to realize after going to meetings for eight months now... Remember, these meetings aren't therapy sessions, and really, they're not about your feelings or problems. They're about solutions. If you don't have anything to share, or even if you don't think the topic applies to you, just listen. You'll end up being surprised what you hear. And when a meeting is described as being open, that means it's open to people who aren't addicts who are curious to see how one works. Most good meetings -- open or closed -- are focused on a topic brought by the meeting's chairperson.

At the end of the day, you're all there for the same reason.

Chris
Old 10-07-2009, 03:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
FREAKING AWESOME!

Okay, so I am going to a meeting with a woman who I don't know and have never met. I got her number from a recovery place in KY and finally called her today. She invited herself to come and pick me up and we go together. So, I think this is great. I am having a lot of anxiety but she is a recovering alcoholic that can relate to me and get me in there and meet people. So, here we go again and hopefully tonight will be better than lastnight!
Old 10-07-2009, 04:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Good work ashleek! You are making great progress. Finding someone to go with and talk with is a great step.

Part of this is finding the right meeting. I have one particular meeting night and format that I absolutely love. There are a few old timers there who probably should have been stand-up comics - by how they can use humor to communicate such powerful messages. Find meetings that make you laugh.

And one thing I always remind myself is: I can learn something from anyone - despite how different my experience may have been or my situation.

I can't tell you how many times I have started to tune-out when someone started speaking only to be startled by a nugget of wisdom that has come out of their mouth.

Keep searching to find the right meeting, but most importantly, keep talking to people. They do care about you and want you to get through this.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
FREAKING AWESOME!

The meeting I went to lastnight was a wonderful thing! They were all so funny and I was so thankful to them because they made the meeting for me since I was the only newcomer! It was so amazing, it was like they were all talking to me, well they were all talking to me. I haven't laughed so much in so long and it feels so good to laugh. I forgot what it was like to be happy. They have another meeting tonight and I am so looking forward to going. They were mostly all old timers and it was such a wonderful thing. I feel like God was really working for me lastnight. Since I hadn't been to a meeting I hadn't really been in all that great of a mood. I came home lastnight and I was so happy and i wasn't thinking about using, a pill never crossed my mind. Thank you God and thank you SR for listening to me and being so supportive. It is day 16 sober and damn it feels great!
Old 10-08-2009, 07:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Bravo Ashlee on your 16 days and your going to the meeting. Yes, amazing that sober people laugh, I laugh so much now being sober. It was a long time I went with out laughing while using. I love going to meetings, I feel so connected and welcomed. Glad you enjoyed yourself, keep on going, it gets even better.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:37 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I didn't want to go because I was tired after work, but then I said to myself, do I want help, do I want to be sober? Also I told myself....well this is where the work comes in. Can't just sit on your ass. The couple I went to were ok. Everyone just wants to get better hope it goes well