felony record

Old 10-05-2009, 07:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

felony record

My 25 year old son was arrested and charged with two felonies for stealing to support his heroin addiction. This was the first time he was ever in trouble. He spent three months in jail and is now in a court ordered year long rehab. In three months he will begin to look for a job. I have often shared with him different things that have been posted. He wanted me to ask any of the people in recovery if it is even possible to find a job with felonies on your record. He is doing well in the rehab and looking forward to getting a job and working again however he is very afraid that it will be hard to get hired.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((Cherrie))

Having a felony does make it more difficult, but not impossible. I am an RA and I had a felony on my record for a while, but it was a mistake. I did a lot of research, as it seemed they were never going to get it straightened out.

The first thing I will say, is to tell him to never lie about the felonies...most companies do background checks these days. Depending on what his charges are, some jobs may be more difficult to get than others, i.e., anything to do with handling money if you have a record of stealing.

I know for a fact that the gov't does hire felons, it just depends on the job. I think the web page is USAJOBS or something like that for US gov't jobs. I was an RN before addiction, am now waiting tables However, I'm working on my 3rd assoc. degree in another area of healthcare and I highly recommend checking into possibly more education - even a certification.

There ARE jobs out there, and the more time that elapses from the crime, the better. He may have to start out at the bottom...fast food, copy room, etc. but it's a job, a reference, and a place to start.

One more thing....jobs are hard to find, right now, period. Tell him to be prepared that people WITHOUT felonies are having a hard time and not to beat himself up if it takes time.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 10-05-2009, 11:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Amy is correct.

He also needs to check into Vocational Rehab for his state. Most state Voc Rehabs, first test a person to see what you are most aptly suited for and then will help with education, etc.

Again, the further away from the felonies (in years) one gets the less of a problem they seem to be in the job market.

When I was first in recovery I went to the Temp Agencies. Signed up with several, got in the habit of calling them morning and night, until they got so tired of me calling they sent me out on a job here and there, and then as they got the reports back on how well I worked, gave me more, until at one place I was placed they liked me so much they hired me. From there on as I stayed sober and clean it got better and better.

Tell him good luck and with diligence he can find employment. To be the best employee he can be and the opportunities will start to appear.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 10-06-2009, 02:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Depending what his skills are, self-employment can be a good way to start. Handyman, painter, dog walker, resume writer, snow shoveling or landscaping, driver for companies or people who need someone with a car to run errands or transport people...the list is endless but you get the idea.

There is little or no overhead for these jobs, flyers are often all the advertisement needed and then word of mouth takes over.

It may not be a grand career, but it is a way to keep busy, earn money and build something that shows you are a good worker and self-motivated.

Canada has "The John Howard Society" which helps people who have been in jail or prison find work and accommodation after they get out. I don't know if there is anything like this in the USA.

Good luck to him.

Hugs
Old 10-06-2009, 04:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Certifiable Addict

Best wishes to your son's recovery. Not sure what state you live in, however, do some research on expungement laws. Some states allow the felon to apply to have the felonies removed. Many stipulations, of course, namely, not getting into trouble again. Good luck!
Old 10-06-2009, 09:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My RBF has several felonies on his record but landed a very good job with the recovery house he received treatment at as a residential counselor. He also says that working with that clientele helps with his recovery.

So, some facilities like halfway houses, residential facilities, etc. will hire ex- addicts and ex-felons.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If he puts his recovery before everything else he will be just fine. Without recovery, there is nothing - no job. no life. just jails institutions and death.

I hope he is planning on AA or NA once he gets out? He may even be able to get a reference to a job from someone in the program.

The economy is making it hard for anyone to find a job right now, but there are jobs are out there. And there are jobs available for ex-cons. Worker retraining is also available. He just has to want it bad enough. He has to work hard to find a job and not just expect it to land in his lap. I don't know what kind of work your son does, but unions hire felons. Restaurants hire felons. Etc. Etc.

My ex got a great job working in a steel recycling plant and he had 5 felonies on his record. Unfortunately it wasn't enough to keep him clean. He relapsed. He quit showing up for work. He's using again and Lord knows where he is now.

Like I said, recovery needs to be the first priority for addicts. Without it, there is nothing.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

not sure if these are in other states or its new or what , but here a cpl of months ago they had what was called a second chance job fair . its for ppl with records and verious other things , Companys that are willing to extend a hand up and give those a 2nd chance . maybe they mite have something like that in your location