Notices

A Bad Day is just A Bad Day

Old 10-05-2009, 01:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

A Bad Day is just A Bad Day

Wisdom of the Rooms - August 31, 2009

"Just because you're having a bad day doesn't mean you're having a bad life."

It's amazing the way my mind used to work. When things were good, it told me they wouldn't last. When things were bad, it told me they were going to get worse. When I was having a bad day, it told me every other day was going to be just as bad and that no matter how hard I tried, my life would end in failure.

When I entered recovery, the first thing I learned was that alcoholism was a disease of perception. I was told that what was happening in my head didn't always reflect what was happening in my life, and I was given tools to help me tell the difference. Gratitude lists helped me see the good as well as the bad; running my thinking by others helped me see past my insanity, and working with others always helped me feel better no matter what was going on.

It took a long time to develop a new perspective on my thinking, but by being willing to change and by working hard at it, I now know that most of what my mind tells me is a lie. To counter this today, when I wake up I turn my thoughts over to my Higher Power, and I let Him direct my thinking. If I'm having a bad day, I know I can start it over at anytime, and I do that by saying to myself, "Thy will, not mine be done." This always works.

Today I know that if I'm having a bad day, it doesn't mean I'm having a bad life. It just means it's time to turn it over.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Thank you for posting this. I really needed to read that today.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
getting there

Agreed, thank you.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I like this. Even tho I am not on the HP path. I do stop when I am having one of those days and just calm my mind first. Slow down my actions too.
Just breathe and try again.
And most def think of what is good in my life. Not whats bad at that moment.

Makes alot of sense and helps so much.
Thx for poting this reminder.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Yes!

So easy to dwell on making a little tiny moment a catastrophe.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

my worst day sober is better than my best day drunk..
Old 02-23-2010, 04:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Old 02-23-2010, 04:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for bumping this, Bee!

In the years before I began drinking and while I was drinking, I believed a bad day meant a bad life. And, more importantly, I believed that I had absolutely no control over a bad deay.

In recovery, I learned that my perception needed to shift. By making myself look at the positives in my life, the problems seemed manageable. And, I learned that a bad day could be just that and no more. Tomorrow would be another day.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Since I'm no longer in that alcohol-induced depression, it's easier to see that a bad day isn't forever.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Believe808 View Post
Wisdom of the Rooms - August 31, 2009

"Just because you're having a bad day doesn't mean you're having a bad life."

It's amazing the way my mind used to work. When things were good, it told me they wouldn't last. When things were bad, it told me they were going to get worse. When I was having a bad day, it told me every other day was going to be just as bad and that no matter how hard I tried, my life would end in failure.

When I entered recovery, the first thing I learned was that alcoholism was a disease of perception. I was told that what was happening in my head didn't always reflect what was happening in my life, and I was given tools to help me tell the difference. Gratitude lists helped me see the good as well as the bad; running my thinking by others helped me see past my insanity, and working with others always helped me feel better no matter what was going on.

It took a long time to develop a new perspective on my thinking, but by being willing to change and by working hard at it, I now know that most of what my mind tells me is a lie. To counter this today, when I wake up I turn my thoughts over to my Higher Power, and I let Him direct my thinking. If I'm having a bad day, I know I can start it over at anytime, and I do that by saying to myself, "Thy will, not mine be done." This always works.

Today I know that if I'm having a bad day, it doesn't mean I'm having a bad life. It just means it's time to turn it over.
I don't have bad days,... I might have bad moments
Old 02-23-2010, 04:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post. I had a bad day today and my mind does the same thing......why is it always bad and ....It will never change!!! I am going to write this down and hang it all over my house untill it is ingrained in my head!!!