Notices

Scared...

Old 10-05-2009, 12:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared...

I came from a family of Alcoholics. I started drinking at the age of 15 now I am 19. I had a very traumatic event happen to me and at 17 I turned to heavy drinking. Recently friends of mine set me down and showed me to my problem. I would drink upwards of 3/4 of a 1.75l bottle of vodka/whiskey per night to cope with my depression. I am not sure how I got there but now i want to get away. I am choosing to quit now. I have deleted all sources of alcohol from my phone etc however I am now scared of what i will be going through. I would drink 7 days a week and now i am just quitting. I haven't had anything to drink in 34 hrs now and i am shaking uncontrollably and vomiting. I don't know what to do past here. I am scared of the upcoming days and how it will feel or how long it will last. Or what i should do after this is all over. Any advice would help.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FREAKING AWESOME!

My advice go to detox or a family doctor. Trust me, you will have a better chance of getting well if you do so. They will give you medicine for the withdraws and will make life much easier. Don't feel ashamed to tell someone or ask for help. I was ashamed until I broke down one day, had a complete meltdown and addmitted myself to detox. Get somewhere, call someone or if you even go to the ER and tell them what is going on they will prolly keep you because Alcohol withdraws can kill people. They and opiate withdraws are the worse. I don't want to scare you but you don't have to do this alone! Keep coming back here, there are wonderful people who will help you through this. Please atleast call the ER and ask them what you should do!
Old 10-05-2009, 12:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Those withdrawals sound terrible! I have gone through them a few times, and each time they get worse. On a positive note, congratulations on the decision to achieve sobriety at such a young age. You have a whole life ahead of you that you will discover is so much more rewarding sober. It seems hard to comprehend right now, but in the end you will see it. Welcome here, as you will fund much support around here!

As for your detoxing, I would contact a medical professional. There will be many people around soon telling you the same thing. I didn't and at times wish I would have. However, I wasn't drinking as much as you. We are not allowed to give medical advice on here, so your best bet would be to contact someone for help.

I hope you get through this, and stay strong. We have all been where you are and have found a better way of life. You will too!
Old 10-05-2009, 12:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I'm quite a few years older than you, but I'm an alcoholic and my worst withdrawal was 2 1/2 years ago and went very much like yours. I did go to the ER and went through medicated detox, which was not pleasant, but I was under observation and got medication to make it easier. I urge you to do the same. If you can't do that please make sure someone knows what you are going through. This is very important. Also once you receive help they can refer you to rehab, which is what happened to me and I met people in the same situation. Unfortunately my sobriety didn't last, but I didn't let it get too far this time with the withdrawal symptons and was lucky to find SR and their wonderful members. You are in the right place, but you may need medical help.
Please keep coming back and let us know how you are.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was considering going to an AA meeting around my area but i have no idea how to find one. Also i am also nervous about it cause i dont want to be judged or looked down upon by them also i dont know if i would even be welcome due to my age.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please go to a dr or to an ER.

Detoxing from alcohol can be very dangerous.

I am glad you found us and that you are seeking support. Keep reading and posting.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Anyone with google can find an AA meeting. They are all over. I have never been to one, but I have searched for them and they are very easy to find. Don't worry about being judged or whatever pre-conceived notions you have. Others will be along soon that can give you more info on AA meetings.

But right now your issue at hand is the detoxing. Worry about recovery later. Follow the advice of others and talk to a professional.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

You drank about like I drank, and I can tell you from recent personal experiences the withdrawals are as dangerous as they are unpleasant. Please, please, go to a doctor/ER. This should be carried out under medical supervision, even if it is done at home.

I don't think AA would discriminate against you for age, but like Bdiddy said, right now you need to worry about the detox--the rest can come later.

Take care,
-TB
Old 10-05-2009, 01:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's a huge amount of liquor. I know because I drank even more. Detox first, AA after. You should call your doctor immediately if you have one -- let him advise your next 7 days. There are also detox facilities all around central Texas. At the very least, do not do it alone. Have a friend stay with you who knows who to call (read: 911) if things get hairy.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mvass

welcome to SR.
Some good advice here - please do see a doctor as soon as you can.

D
Old 10-05-2009, 03:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please check out this link about de toxing....

The Alcoholism and Addictions Help Forums- by SoberRecovery.com

How to find AA in your area.....
look in your phone book ...or

Alcoholics Anonymous : How to Find A.A. Meetings

Welcome to SR...
Old 10-05-2009, 04:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Please have a friend take you to the ER right away. Withdrawals can be dangerous and medical help in getting thru the detox period can help a lot.

Welcome to SR and a new sober life!
Old 10-05-2009, 10:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thank you all so much for yall's advice and opinions. I now have a friend staying with me 24/7 until i get through this stage. An update i shaking even more violently and still vomiting. and random pains. hoping I have the strength to get through this.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Love my puppies

Mvass...A friend staying with you is great, but they probably aren't familiar with detoxing someone. Like others have said, seek professional treatment right away, especially since you are getting worse. Instead of just staying with you, have your friend take you to the ER. A lot of people give up because of the withdrawls...you don't have to do this on your own. Please get help!!! :ghug3
Old 10-05-2009, 11:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really hope you took the advice here mvass, and went to a Dr.
Give us an update when you can

D
Old 10-06-2009, 04:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Mvass I pray by now you are seeing a doctor, detoxing from alcohol can and does kill folks. Get the detox taken care of by a doctor first, hopefully you will come back and read this after getting your detox taken care of.

I was considering going to an AA meeting around my area but i have no idea how to find one. Also i am also nervous about it cause i dont want to be judged or looked down upon by them also i dont know if i would even be welcome due to my age.
Below is a link to AA meetings in your area, do not worry about being judged or looked down upon, in AA it is all about one alcoholic helping another, We have a young man in my area that has been going to AA meetings since he was 15 or 16, he has been sober going on 18 months now, he has been more then welcome in meetings.

Alcoholism is a disease of all ages, trust me you will be more then welcome. Please if you have not already see a doctor.

http://www.tyler-aa.org/pdf/meetings.pdf
Old 10-06-2009, 05:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero