Personality types

Old 10-05-2009, 09:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Personality types

After all the stuff I've learned about addiction and co-dependency; after all the personal issues I've worked through; after researching nature and nurture; it was inevitable that I would want to know my personality type.

I told my therapist I'd like the rest of my family to take the personality test too, as it might shed some much needed light on how we relate to each other - good and bad. It might help foster understanding and acceptance. My daughter is the only one who has actually taken it besides me, but my husband and son are open to the idea. It really helped when I told them there is no right or wrong

Learning her personality type was very unsettling at first. It was confirmation of every thing I've suspected and explained why I was always beating my head against a brick wall. She and I are are almost polar opposites, though we share many of the same interests. Her personality type represents 1% of the population while mine is 13%.

I have a friend who shares the same personality type as my daughter and it came as no surprise. My friend is unlike anyone I've ever befriended and it was something of a surprise when we became close. She and I became even closer after the discovery of my daughter's addiction. It was her kind and compassionate heart that spoke to me, though we hardly ever talked about my daughter. The two of them have a bond that defies words and it's like they sense each other.

Anyway, I learned my daughter and I were screwed from the moment she was born LOL! I can laugh about it now because with respect and love, there is much to hope about. I'm not beating myself up over my lack of knowledge at the time; it is the knowledge I have now that matters. Acceptance really is key to everything, and I accept my daughter for who she is just as I accept the friend I mentioned. It took a lot of emotional growth to get to this place!

Last year Impurrfect predicted our relationship would get interesting and she's right. The future is wide open
Old 10-05-2009, 12:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh, I can't tell you what a relief it was to find a solid reasoning that proved I wasn't a freak, I was just a certain type of person that is normal, just not all that common.

There was - and is - great comfort in being able to observe yourself rationally, and shrug and say, "I'm not crazy. I'm just an INFP." LOL

From another "1-percenter"
Old 10-05-2009, 12:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Holy smokes GiveLove! Another one! My daughter was relieved too. I haven't heard her say "I'm special" in years!

I feel like I've started another part of this journey and will experience more love than I thought possible.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel like I've started another part of this journey and will experience more love than I thought possible.
Wow. What an amazing thing to hear today, Chino. Makes me a little teary, if you must know
Old 10-05-2009, 01:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Okay, now I'm going to have to go find those papers when I went through extensive testing at Vo-Rehab and did the personality test!
Old 10-06-2009, 11:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I got a little teary eyed myself when I saw my therapist yesterday. I told him about a road trip over the weekend to see a lunar rainbow, and how rare it is because all the conditions have to be perfect. Getting a photo of it involves a lot of preparation, knowledge (you can't see the colors with the naked eye), patience, and even some physical discomfort. I have chased this phenomenon for several years now only to be disappointed, until now:

I started crying when I told him that I finally understand she is like that lunar rainbow. She is rare and you can't see all her colors with the naked eye. She shares herself only under perfect conditions. Understanding her requires knowledge, patience, and even a little discomfort. As my ability to understand her grows, so does the depth of my love. Now that I'm able, she's trusting me a little and sharing more of herself and oh my God it's an eye opener. We both experience joy watching a beautiful sunset but she might be conducting a symphony in her mind and not come back to earth until the last note.

I told my therapist I understand we all had it backwards with her as a child - us family members and all her teachers. We tried to make a round peg fit into a square hole and no wonder she was acting out and completely withdrawing at the same time. She was deep in a despair none of us understood nor had the capacity to understand.

I'm so grateful to have this understanding now and so is she. No one here is playing the blame game and there's so much to look forward to!
Old 10-06-2009, 11:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I remember taking some tests Anvil told me about, but there were some with colors? Actually, I'm more like Anvil's Hank - she says something about us graduating from "hothead high school" a few years apart or something like that (I'm older).

((Chino)) - I don't remember WHY I felt so strongly that you and your daughter would have an interesting journey, but a good one, but I DO remember feeling it. I felt like you would have to get to know each other all over again. BTW, the lunar rainbow is awesome!!

I'm off to find my personality type and it BETTER not say "Hank"!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 10-06-2009, 12:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Okay, so after the power went out, I found the fuse box behind a stack of clothes (stepmom saying "it won't do any good - and I got the power back on and left her with the stack of clothes) I took the Jung test and came up as the same thing Anvil is - INFJ. It has different percentages, though - one for sensing, feeling, judging, etc.

Right now, I'll settle for the fact that I have a personality and I'm not throwing the clothes I had to move into the garbage

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 10-06-2009, 01:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's so easy for me to see how some of you developed addiction. I'm not saying it's inevitable, it just makes sense to me now. The world can be a very cruel place for any of us, but it strikes a particularly nasty blow to your type because of the way you perceive and experience things. On the flip side, the way you perceive and experience beauty probably rivals Michelangelo. How you see and experience life is almost otherworldly!

I think I'm going to frame that rainbow photo for my daughter and name it after her. I think it might be a perfect birthday gift next month. When I shared the analogy of that rare rainbow and her personality, she smiled through her tears. She didn't say a word in response but for once she didn't have to. I understood
Old 10-06-2009, 01:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

(((Chino))) - what a beautiful gift..and what a beautiful relationship you two have worked out.

Hug and prayers!

Amy
Old 10-06-2009, 05:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Chino - that's the most amazing pic I have ever seen. So incredibly special! Another 1%-er in tears reading your posts.