Codie pain

Old 10-04-2009, 04:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Codie pain

What do you do when your pill popping husband is in denial and takes everything and you yourself get sick or in pain. I mean, the last time I had pneumonia, he drank all of my codeine cough medicine. Now I have bad sciatica and I can't get anything for myself for fear he will find them and take them. So what do I do for me?
Old 10-04-2009, 05:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
BBD

Do you need to tell him you are going to the Dr's?? Get your meds and hide them from him. You do need to take care of yourself. I feel for you on but you have to be first here especially if your not feeling well......Good luck, Bonnie
Old 10-04-2009, 05:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Please don't take this as a smarta$$ answer, but I refuse to live with someone like that anymore. Problem solved.

:ghug2 :ghug2
Old 10-04-2009, 05:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Skeetermag View Post
What do you do when your pill popping husband is in denial and takes everything and you yourself get sick or in pain. I mean, the last time I had pneumonia, he drank all of my codeine cough medicine. Now I have bad sciatica and I can't get anything for myself for fear he will find them and take them. So what do I do for me?
I would have to detach myself from a person like this.... if it comes to his/her addiction being number one even over my own medical needs... I don't need that stress around.

As far as your situation.... if leaving isn't an option at this point... then one has to do what one has to do.... hide your meds... don't let him know what your medical condition is as he will snoop around trying to find the pills and when he does then you are SOL. As I type this and you read, are you seeing that this isn't a partner who considers your most delicate needs of any importance and that you shouldn't have to go to these extremes in your own household? I know... we all have been there. I use to lock and hide my belongings after I found out RBF relapsed when all I had to do was not let him in the door. Duh, I know this now in hindsight. But I guess what I'm saying is that when we have to hide things from our SO, H or BF's then, it's time to let them go for our own peace and sanity.

I'm :praying for your situation as you sound incredibly trapped. However, you have the power to change that and deserve so much better. (((HUGS)))
Old 10-05-2009, 03:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't see many options here.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That is one thing my RAH never did was to mess with my meds.

As bad as it sounds, I would get to the dr. somehow, get the meds you need, don't tell him. Stick them in a vitamin or asprin bottle-addicts don't seem to use either of these.

You simply have to take care of your health. It is a shame we have to sneak around and do things behind their backs-but they sneak around behind our backs.

I know Sciatica is painful, heck, could not even get out of bed once. Dr, gave me muscle relaxers and pain meds and lower back excercises. rarely ever flairs up anymore.

Please find a way to get your meds.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

my heart goes out to you -
I lived the life you are describing for over 16 yrs.

not only did my now ex AH take my meds, but any meds that my children had too - cough med, pain meds, Pherngan sups. etc.

This is what I did.

I purchased a lock box - kept my meds in the box, kept the key on my at all times - even in the shower!!

My sweet new friend - let me also share with you - that it did NOT keep him from taking my meds.

HE called the pharmacy and dr ofc to get the RX's refilled.

I had to get it where - only I could pick up my meds - you can request that your Pharmacy ID you before they give out your prescription. My Dr ofc knows NOT to call out any meds unless they speak to ME and only ME.

My ex AH - broke the lock on the lock box.

I then had to keep all my meds locked up in my vehicle and keep my car keys on me at all times - even wrapped around my hand while I slept.

This occurred before and after he went thru treatment. He was sober for almost 3 yrs, but the relased and went right back to the same behaviors.

I finally got to the point after 5 yrs in my own recovery (Al-Anon) that I realized I could no longer live in a house where I had to keep my keys and cell phone on me at all times.

THAT IS NOT HEALTHY FOR ANYONE.

It's been almost a year since I walked away - if you are new here then you haven't heard - for me it got worse before it got better. But even as bad as it got - I could still lay my head down at night and not have to sleep half awake worrying about things being stolen by own spouse.

Stress causes physical pain - you would not believe the physical freedom from pain I feel as well as the emotional and mental freedom.

You will know when you are ready to start looking for a way out - but until then - I would suggest a lock box or a locked vehicle and keep the keys to yourself.

HUGS (hope, unity, gratitude and serenity) and lots of prayers!
Rita
Old 10-05-2009, 02:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm sorry that you are in pain. Sciatic pain is the worst. I dealt with it without pain meds by going to a chiropractor and PT. It was a miracle. I haven't had pain since. I'm not suggesting chiropractic or anything. But boy oh boy did it work for me.

As far as your situation, I suggest you go see a doctor. And if you are concerned about it, let him know that your husband is an addict and steals your pain medication. See what he says.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Skeeter.... sorry to hear you are in pain... but there ARE options... re-read this and talk to your doc. Good suggestions. Take care of you. Keep telling yourself that. Think about what you are willing to do to keep yourself well and happy. It will come clear.