Notices

Dual Recovery?

Old 10-01-2009, 07:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dual Recovery?

I was looking at resources and found dual recovery to be something I am very interested in. When i was in the inpatient setting that is where I was put...dual recovery unit. Anyone have any good/bad experiences with them?
Old 10-01-2009, 08:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is their website

Questions and Answers about DRA

No...I did not use them for my recovery from alcoholism.
So I have no experience to share.

All my best and please keep posting with us...
Old 10-01-2009, 08:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Newstart I have no experience with them either, I took a quick look see of their steps and traditions, it appears as though it is based upon AA and I know for me AA saved my life.

Like AA they have no rules and simply have suggestions. Sounds like a good deal to me based upon my AA experience only.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Yes, I have exerience with Dual Recovery. It is the theory that many people with substance abuse issues also suffer from other mental disorders, commonly depression, anxiety, bi-polar, PTSD, etc. Proponents feel that if both issues are dealt with at the same time there is a much better chance at recovery.

It can be done hand in hand with 12-step recovery, if you like, or without it entirely. Generally the mental disorders are delt with with a combination of therapy and pharmocology. The addiction side is usually dealt with using group therpy, oftentimes 12-step, and sometimes additional one on one substance abuse therpy. I have found this to be a logical and effective means of treatment. However, at the end of the day, the choice to use or not to use is still an individual one. I feel dual therpy can give you a leg up by dealing with some of the underlying issues involved with addcition, but the individual still has to be comitted to it. Hope that helps. Take care.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Do not worry. I have autism and alcoholism. It has been tough, but very rewarding first year of soberity.

The key thing is to get an excellent support group and a good sponsor. My friends still drink and use ocassionally, but they have provided a huge amount of support in my first year. They are not addicts like me.

Try to find friends that are nonjudgmental and who are positve. People who you want to embrace your recovery in joy and happiness.