Tasting Freedom

Old 09-30-2009, 04:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tasting Freedom

I just wanted to post and let everyone know that my divorce became final today. Of course, XAH had to do it the hard way and not show up for the hearing, costing me more money, but I got my default judgment against him and I am FREE AT LAST. I have posted on here a bunch about my painful feelings regarding him, his life, and his choices....and I was really expecting today to feel much more bittersweet. But I actually do feel like a huge weight has been lifted from me, and today, more than ever before, I feel like I get the true wisdom in letting him be...be free to screw up his life, into the grave if that's what he chooses, and to let me be FREE TO LIVE MINE. I used to get so depressed because I had separated from him, I had started a new life without him, and I still did not feel any relief. Today, for whatever reason, I'm starting to feel that relief. And it feels good!!!
Old 09-30-2009, 04:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

I'm experiencing the same thing, and have described it as a weight lifted off of me as well. It's a great feeling, and really shouldnt' be a surprise considering the insanity of addiction.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats Mambo Queen. I bet it felt like this day was never going to come
Old 09-30-2009, 04:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Happy D Day!
I brought cake:

Topsy Turvey Cake.

*Disclaimer - divorce is a serious matter and a very personal decision. The original poster has received her divorce from an active alcoholic after careful consideration*
Old 09-30-2009, 05:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yum! Freedom Cake! I remember the same feeling Mambo-- I was so ready the day my divorce became final that I really felt relieved. I had suffered and grieved enough. My girlfirends took me out and we had a "wake" for my marriage in which I tried to eulogize it and just say all the good things (which was kind of hilarious!) as I sent it off to the grave - and then we had a toast and a celebration of my new life.

Congrats on getting through this in one piece - and with your optimism & hope still intact. I find that having gone through my divorce I am a much stronger person, and a much more grateful person. I wish you a joyful new future!

peace-
b
Old 09-30-2009, 06:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can relate, too. There is something very freeing about severing that legal bond. I left my marriage a good three years before my divorce was final, but I never felt truly free until the contract was actually dissolved.

Here's to your new life!

L