Notices

What to expect in AA?

Old 09-27-2009, 12:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What to expect in AA?

I am new here and would like to attend an AA meeting. The problem is that I am quite shy and I am not sure what to expect. Could anyone tell me what actually goes on in a meeting? I would like to know before I attend. Thanks.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kira1027 View Post
I am new here and would like to attend an AA meeting. The problem is that I am quite shy and I am not sure what to expect. Could anyone tell me what actually goes on in a meeting? I would like to know before I attend. Thanks.
Welcome!!!

Well, they stick you in a corner and make you wear a dunce cap.

Just kidding.

Meeting formats are different depending on where you live, I can say that they vary within a state. Hopefully someone from Texas can tell you how they format their meetings.

In Michigan, in the area I live in, they usually have tables, 6-8 persons per.

You sit at a table, usually people introduce themselves when you sit down.

Meeting opens with a reading of the twelve steps, the AA preamble, how it works, the promises, a prayer.

They will usually ask if there are any newcomers or visitors, you can stand up and introduce yourself, first name only, if you so choose.

And folks will talk about alcoholism and the solution they've found.

Keep coming back, you'll find a lot of support here.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hello kira and welcome to sr! i live in the uk so our meeting structure is a little different,however i was in houston in the summer and attended 3 meetings while there,they were all different but basically the same if that makes sense! it is a room full of folk sharing their experiences ,strength and hope with one another so they can solve their common problem (alcohol) and help others to do the same.you will be made to feel welcome.somebody who has more experience with the meetings where you are will be along soon to offer more help! alot of folk when going to AA think its the worst thing (how did it come to this??? ) but it turns out to be the best,this has been my experience.listen as much as you can and look for similarities,not differences,and be open minded.i hope you get from AA what i and many many others have.i wish you well,keep us posted
Old 09-27-2009, 12:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

OMG sailorjohn, don't scare the Girl.

Hey kira, welcome to SR!!

I totally understand being shy and I know that it takes some deep breaths to go walking into the rooms. Maybe you may want to sit and observe first a couple of times being that you feel shy. Watch how the meetings function as I know they can be different in all towns.

After going a couple of times I suggest raising your hand and introducing yourself as a new comer, you will probably be amazed at the instant support you'll receive.

All meetings seem to have different tones so they can vary. Plan on going with an open mind and grab some literature too. A lot of meeting houses will have AA pamphlets for you to pick up and read over.

I wish you all the best and good luck at the meeting, I hope you'll come back and share how it went for you.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you found us.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Hi Kira and welcome to SR.

Pretty much the same from me here as other posts. In the ones I attend, we do not stand, when asked if anyone new or coming back they just raise their hand and say who they are "My name is Donna and I am an alcoholic, I am new to the program". I must say I was so nervous the first time, but the second I said that and when people started sharing, I remember such a feeling coming over me "I felt I was finally home" it was a wonderful feeling, I finally belonged somewhere. I love AA meetings. Keep an open mind, I'm sure you will love it too.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Might be a good idea to arrive early, meet a few people, and gradually acclimate to the situation.

I can say that I think you will be very pleasantly surprised.

Perhaps try not to have any expectations at all, just let it flow...?

Enjoy!
Old 09-27-2009, 01:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

First of all I'd like to welcome you to SR. May you find what you seek here.

I first like to ask what kind of an A.A. meeting would you like to attend? Open, closed, big book study, discussion, newcomers, etc.

I'd next like to ask you why you are going to a meeting? To seek recovery from alcoholism, support, etc.? In otherwords, are you looking for abstinence from booze or do you have a family member or friend that has a problem with booze?

This will help determine which kind of meeting you might want to attend. If you live in a big enough town/city, you may have some choices at your disposal.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community....

There are different types of AA meetings
Please read this link for information

Your First AA Meeting<

You mention you are shy. In that case....you might
want to ask a friend to accompany you.

You will not be expected to stand up or speak
if called on....."I'm here to listen but thanks" is
the way to handle the invitation.

Please do go...and come back with your experience
Many of us are winning over alcohol....so can you.