A quote

Old 09-27-2009, 11:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A quote

This seemed fitting for today when alot of us are fighting for these really dysfunctional relationships/marriages:

“Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.”
General George S. Patton, Jr.

What am I fighting so hard for? Would I really want him to come back the way he is? HECK NO!
Old 09-27-2009, 11:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lemme add one, something I really relate to, I think it may be a sticky:

It is so much easier to accept life as it is and make the best of it - there is a catch however. When we accept reality, and let go of trying to force our will on life and other people, there are feelings to deal with. One of the reasons we keep trying to control someone else (to get an alcoholic to stop drinking for instance) is because with all that frustration and anger, mental obsession and rumination, we don't have time to stop and feel how much it hurts, or how scared we are, or feel the grief of letting that other person go. The reason we try to control other people is to protect ourselves from our feelings - and it is important to admit that. Of course we want what is "right" for them, what is good for them - but we don't know what their "right" path is. Some people are supposed to die of Alcoholism - that is their path.
--Robert Burney
Old 09-27-2009, 04:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

. . . I am not waking up in a panic at 2 am as often, scared to death someone has just come home completely trashed to wake me up and yell at me . . . now it is just the dog climbing off the couch and I need to face my fears . . . I am trying to untangle why I did what I did for so long. . .

“Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.”
Jalal ad-Din Rumi

The sun is out, the woods are green, there are friends to meet for brunch, postcards to send, cookies to bake . . .

Old 09-27-2009, 05:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Hi covington, nice images, do you make them yourself or is there a webpage? I'd like to read more
Old 09-27-2009, 06:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, Taking Charge--have been making them in PhotoShop--will make more : - )

I just went looking for more fun quotes and liked this one from Carl Jung

Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.
It's been a very introspective Sunday for me, so I thought I'd commerate it with a graphic. Like I should count the days I'm free of my addiction. My addiction still appears to be a cycle of blaming him instead of shaking free and improving my mental and physical health.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Something you may or may not know, but the good Dr. Jung is credited with being one of the founding fathers of AA.

Bill Wilson's Letter To Dr. Carl Jung , Jan 23, 1961
Old 09-27-2009, 07:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's really interesting. Last week's newspaper had a long article about Jung's about to be published Big Red Book. My XBF and I took turns reading it aloud to each other, until we got to the page with the illustrations and he tried to rip it out of my hands. The notion of a big red book is very appealing to me, the idea of transformation, recording dreams, recording one's own book of shadows, trusting one's own visions:

Creating the book also led Jung to reformulate how he worked with clients, as evidenced by an entry Shamdasani found in a self-published book written by a former client, in which she recalls Jung’s advice for processing what went on in the deeper and sometimes frightening parts of her mind.

“I should advise you to put it all down as beautifully as you can — in some beautifully bound book,” Jung instructed. “It will seem as if you were making the visions banal — but then you need to do that — then you are freed from the power of them. . . . Then when these things are in some precious book you can go to the book & turn over the pages & for you it will be your church — your cathedral — the silent places of your spirit where you will find renewal. If anyone tells you that it is morbid or neurotic and you listen to them — then you will lose your soul — for in that book is your soul.”
This is where he fell asleep. It is hard for me to remember that the architecture of XBF's world spans generations of drinking and his relationships with these ghosts. All of them drink. He's written a novel, and they're all in there. I think it was last Wednesday I realized he thinks this is a defining characteristic of who he is: someone who drinks to excess.

I have no right to try to tell him who he ought to be. It's a waste of time. And wishing he would change is a waste of creative energy.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by covington View Post

I have no right to try to tell him who he ought to be. It's a waste of time. And wishing he would change is a waste of creative energy.
Absolutely, positively genius. You rock.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(((Hi SO2)))

The quote is good - but are you listening? Your long battle with exh begins and ends with -the question - has he stopped drinking yet? Until he does that part - there is no hope. Your hopes are wasted on him being anything you want he to be to you, your daughter, and anyone else. I saw this smiles and thought of you -:codiepolice: