12 steps: How they helped you

Old 09-18-2009, 08:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
grateful rca

12 steps: How they helped you

for me working the 12 steps is helping me in so many ways in so many areas of my life, present and past. for me, it is becoming a way of life. in my opinion, the steps will work for anyone who will work them

in working the steps, i've been able to work through a lot of stuffed pains of my childhood that i brought into my adult life.

i'm learning to better deal with offenses. i've learned to recognize what part i played in allowing others to effect me causing me to be better able to forgive and move forward.

it helps me to recognize my character defects and give me a guide to work through them.

ok, i've named a few reasons how the 12 steps have helped me, anybody else want to add their esp.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh gosh....in every way possible the 12 steps have helped me. I think that my biggest surprise was when I got to step 8.....somehow I had gotten the impression that I had really done a lot wrong that was going to need amending. I even made about 15 sheets up just ready to write it all down. I was shocked to see how few people I had done anything to or really hurt....except for myself (which therefore really hurt my kids). I hurt people that loved me by making poor choices in relationships... That was a real eye opener for me.

I use the steps daily....10, 1, and 4 are my favorites. I love having the steps as a guide. Now I'm able to better identify what my part is in things.

Thanks for this thread!
Old 09-19-2009, 04:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Without Step 1 I would be a raving lunatic. With it I can have serenity. Hugs, Marle
Old 09-19-2009, 07:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Although I came to the steps when I joined Naranon and was addressing the effects of addiction in my life, I use them all the time for all sorts of circumstances - not related in the least to addiction. I change the word "addict" in step 1 all the time in my head...I am powerless over the choices of my friends, my co-workers, the idiot that cut me off on the freeway, lol. I use mini step 4's and step 10 when I find myself in a dark spot for reasons I can't quite put my finger on - it helps me to see the underlying issues and to address my character defencts and make amends...usually those amends are all about changing the way I handle things.

Thanks Teke - great thread!
Old 09-19-2009, 10:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by marle View Post
Without Step 1 I would be a raving lunatic. With it I can have serenity. Hugs, Marle
I just posted something about this in another thread and how true!

I keep step 10 in the forefront of my brain at all times. It keeps me honest and moving forward.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Teke, the 12 steps help me so much in every aspect of my life, not just the addiction part. I go to two meetings a week, both very different. The program really works, at this point I cant imagine my life without it!