Notices

Explanation of the AA Chips

Old 09-18-2009, 07:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Explanation of the AA Chips

Can someone be kind enough to explain the different chips you get in AA.... I went a different route, but I often read posts with references to the different ones and the meaning is not always clear. Thanks
Old 09-18-2009, 08:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Holdfold it varies from one area to another, in my area there is what is called a "24 hour", "Serentity", or "Surrender" chip which is what a newcomer to AA can pick up, basically it is kind of a physical symbol of wanting to start a new way of life.

Then there are the monthly chips which is basically to be picked up when one has a certain number of months of continuous sobriety, the main reason these are offered is more to be a symbol of hope to people with less time that they can see others stay sober. We give out monthly chips for 1 thru 11 months, then we give out a one year chip as well as an 18 month chip, all other chips are in yearly increments.

The primary purpose in any chip given out is to give hope to those with less time that it is possible to stay sober for many years.

Picking up chips is not required, I know one guy who did not pick up a single chip until he had 5 years sober, he shared that the only reason he started to pick up chips was to give hope to others.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I've not been bashful about picking up a coin. I'd hate to ever go back to picking up a slip chip again.

I do pick coins up to give anyone new to the program hope. They look at this old burn out and think, if that guy can get sober, I can too
Old 09-18-2009, 08:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I know what you mean Captain, I am far from being a spring chicken, tonight my sponsor will be giving me my 3 year chip, one of our traditions in my area is the people who pick up any number of years chip always give a short run down on "How we did it" I look forward to being able to share for the newcomers how I did it, short & simple.

I went to a lot of meetrings early on, I got a sponsor and followed suggestions, I took the steps and found a Higher Power, I apply all of the steps to all areas of my life daily, I pass on freely what was freely passed to me........ oh yea, & I did not drink!!!!
Old 09-18-2009, 09:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Good explanations already provided

I don't attend AA or work the program, but I do still have my first 24 hour chip somewhere.. and I have no intention of getting rid of it. It's a (pardon the word usage) sobering reminder to look at that chip, and think about what brought me to that first meeting, and where I never ever want to go back to.

Sure they're silly little plastic chips (at least the 24 hour one was! I didn't attend after that.. and found a different path), but the meaning behind them is pretty spectacular I think.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

I personally like the chips, even though I have been here a few 24 hrs, I always get choked up when the early chips are handed out, (surrender, 30, 60 and 90 days) Those were so hard for me to get. (it took a few tries) I am so impressed at the courage that is shown show when we finally decide to surrender and take the walk up to get it! I Love Recovery!
Old 09-18-2009, 01:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Red face

Im my area we hand out 24hr chips to anyone who wants to commit to a new sober lifestyle that has been sober for 24hrs. It is of so valuable silver. One can pick up this chip whenever he or she wishes to recommit.

Then the thirty day chip which is blood red. I think we know why.

Next the sixty day chip. It is yellow and I used to stare at it and imagine the yellow yield signal. You know "Easy does It"

The ninety day chip is green. Time to go and get involved with service work and serious step work.

No four month chip but then another blood red five month chip. Symbolizing the pain of the loss of ego.

Six month chip is cobalt blue. Starting to get some cool serenity.

Pass over month seven and eight and get a purple nine month chip for being king like.

OK, I got creative with my own interpretation, it works for me

Then multiple year chips whith the only exception a 18month coin. The multiple yr chip are all bronze/metalic.

The coins all have the same words and symbology with the serenity prayer

on the back. On the front on the top is the phrase "To thy own self be true"

then the triangle surounding the time 24hrs-multiple yrs.. Withing this

triangle are the word Unity, Service, and Recovery.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Around here (Tidewater VA) we give out chips but each home group seems to do it a bit differently. Some give one for every month up to 12 months, some give them out for 30, 90, 180 days etc. I've been to meetings in Beverly Hills where that group's method is the same as my home group's. I've been to meetings in Massachusetts where they only give you a chip when you reach one year. The only commonality I've seen in this process is that the first chip is almost always white. I'll pick up "birthday" chips each year but only to show newcomers that the program works. I always carry my white chip, however, to remind me of a place I never want to go back to.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The only explanation I ever got beyond recognition of milestones in early sobriety was this: If you decide you have to have a drink, put the chip in the drink and when the chip dissolves it's safe to have the drink! That was the silver, 24 hour token.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sailorjohn, I've often heard that said too. but grew a little disallusioned one day when a fellow told me that the stuff he drank would have dissolved anything. I believe him.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Just to clarify ...not all AA groups use the same colors
or choose the same time of sobriety to give out chips.

And....not all AA groups use the chips.

There is no AA policy about chips ..it's all about
what each group chooses to do in their business meeting.

You can buy various medallions/chips on your own
even if you are not using AA.
We can not post commerical links.
Google for recovery stores.

Please see if this bit of history is of interest

AA History & Trivia Chips

Last edited by CarolD; 09-18-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Cool

I'm with CarolD on all this.....I've seen all kinds of chips/medallions, and also many groups that don't use them at all (boo/hiss/grrrrrr.....LOLOL).

"...The only commonality I've seen in this process is that the first chip is almost always white..."

I had to stare that line down till I finally saw that 'almost always' ----- lol (I guess my eyesight really is going..... 'n sailorjohn put in what I was going to say......at our Lambda AA Center [my home groups(s)], here in Houston, we have aluminum 'starter' chip which we call a 'desire' chip, for anyone who has a desire to stop drinking----- (o: Of course, we do have one fella, who when giving out chips calls them bus tokens to paradise (complete with his very heavy Hispanic accent.....lol), with the 'desire' bus token for anyone who wants to get on the bus................ (o:

The chips here are usually given out to mark milestones in folks' recovery (of course only as it applies to 'time'---but that's a good start; one can't have any 'quality' if they don't have any quantity). .....'n our 'milestones' haven't changed since the time I got my first (and only) desire chip.....with ONE eensy, teensy, tiny, minor exception.....: we have 30, 60, and 90 day chips (one, two, and three month chips, for those not counting specific 'days'); then one has to wait three months for their six month, nine month (heavy metal, just like the year medallions; whoopie), and then the monthly Anniversary Night celebration, for the yearly chips/coins. Since so many folks said it was really hard to have to then wait a whole year for their next chip/coin, well, they incorporated an eighteen month chip/coin into the mix-----what we oldsters refer to as the 'resentment chip/coin' ---- lolol

Going back to what CarolD suggested earlier----searching out recovery stores online, I found a great site.....'n got me a chip/coin that I don't have to replace/renew every year. It's called a 'New Life' chip/coin; On one side it has a sun with the words 'This day my new life began' and on the back my sobriety is etched in-----really nice, and so much easier than getting a one year, a two year.....etc., etc., etc.; so much easier with only one....... (o:

So, hold, aintcha glad you asked your question; clear as mud now isn't it?..........LOLOL

NoelleR

P.S. Just a quick question, holdfold; you wrote, "...explain the different chips you get in AA.... I went a different route..." .....?.....a different route?...like NA, or CA, or............?? eh?
Old 09-19-2009, 02:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

At the meeting I've been going to on Sat. nights, they give me a silvery/metallic/little keychain with the serenety praryer on it. Ie, not white.

Just saying.

-TB, with 5 of those silver key chains.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

we dont give out chips at all in my area,im not sure about the ret of the UK.but,,my good friend from north dakota sent me her first chip right at the begining of my sobriety,i was overcome,i carry it everywhere with me.then i went on a months trip around america in july and we went to a meeting in kansas,a guy there asked how long i had,i said 5 months,he asked me if i planned on drinking in the next month,i said i wasnt planning to no!.he gave me a 6 month chip and said if i wanted to drink put the chip in my mouth,if it dissolves i can drink! lol,,,,
Old 09-19-2009, 03:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Yeah, that wouldn't work so well with me... I know what they getting at, but I learned at a young age how to counter that.

Grain alcohol...

It's only poisonous if they use a old radiator to filter it...

TB, pretending she don't know what it means if the liquor burns red...

I take pride in my silver keychains. Don't got no reason to, but I know.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I know this is an old thread but I was googling 'white chip' and this came up. When I have twelve (I've got five to go) I'm going to make a clock out of them, with the chips marking the hours from one to twelve and a desire chip in the middle. Thought that would be cool. A nice way of marking the twenty four hours in each day.