Anxious

Old 09-18-2009, 05:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
aka Glenna :)

Anxious

I'm starting to feel really nervous about losing my phone today. It's not the first time I haven't been able to keep it on for a period of time, and every time I get really isolated and depressed.

I live way out here in the country, and there's really nobody around. I won't be able to call my sponsor every day or any other friends from program and elsewhere. I am used to staying in touch frequently.

Things have been going well lately, and I don't want to slide back downhill because of this issue. I hope I will get my finances straightened out soon and this won't happen again, but I'm facing it right now and feeling very uneasy. I will be able to get to meetings when I can afford the gas, so that will help, but I hate feeling like I'm alone here in the world.

Thanks for reading. I know I sound whiny. I'm just concerned about maintaining the progress I have made.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We are still here for you. Please remember to breath, and take this one day at a time! Have faith, work the steps from Al-anon, and remember that nothing is permenant. You can always post here when you need to talk sweetie! We aren't going anywhere!! Big hugs to you!!
Old 09-18-2009, 05:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

Since you have internet access, could you email your sponsor or your other friends? Even chat online? There has to be some way of keeping the lines of communication open - you could write a letter to your sponsor too!
Old 09-18-2009, 05:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Unfortunately, my sponsor does not have a computer. I think she's the only one left (lol). I will be able to stay in touch with some friends via Internet though. It's just a freaky thing not to hear the sound of your own voice all day or have that interaction. I just know how I get when this happens and am afraid of it.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

cath-

i don't know about in the usa, but here in the uk, you can buy a cheap phone with pay-as-you-go top ups. maybe they have something like this at the CVS? i don't know.

what it enables you to do is to have a cell phone and receive calls for free.

that way, your sponsor could call you and you don't have to have an expensive phone contract.

naive
Old 09-18-2009, 06:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

Or you could try some sort of internet telephone like Skype...
Old 09-18-2009, 07:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bookwyrm View Post
Or you could try some sort of internet telephone like Skype...
Definitely look into this.

I'm sorry this is a rough time and I hope you get your phone back soon.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks, definitely looking for a "free" option here. I had to give my landlord everything I had to get caught up, but at least I feel good about that.

I just worry. When I get isolated, I feel vulnerable. When I feel vulnerable, I have the potential to make stupid decisions. Loneliness is like kryptonite for me.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I use Skype often to speak to my daughter and see my grandsons. It sometimes feels like I am Houston and she is on the moon, with the delay in signals, but it is one way of keeping in touch.

God bless
Old 09-18-2009, 08:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have used the built-in microphone on my computer and talked to a friend on ***** messenger.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Okay, something weird is going on.

My phone hasn't been turned off yet, and when I looked at my balance, it now says I owe $0.00. So I called my provider, but they said no payment had been posted since August. I am totally confused.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I had just such an accounting miracle happen to me. Verizon once posted my balance and I made a payment then a short time later they posted the balance again, and I, thinking it was a new bill, paid it. Months later, my credit caught up to me and a whole billing cycle remaing with a zero balance. I called and they had no idea what had happened and couldn't figure it out. I didn't want my phone shut off so I kept checking back. They finally figured out what had happened and how their system finally caught up with my payments. It felt like a free month, but really I had just paid early enough times that it all caught up in the end.

Maybe you've had just such a thing. Either way, I think your higher power is looking out for you so do not despair.

Much love,

Alice
Old 09-18-2009, 12:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Maybe that's it. I really don't get it. My phone is still on. Balance still zero. Divine intervention? Either way, somebody special is looking out for me.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Oh no, spoke too soon. Phone is now disconnected
Old 09-18-2009, 01:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

OOOhh nooo! I'm so sorry. I was so hopeful that had been diverted. Like I said, do not despair. You have us here. You have reading material. Do a google on free interent phone service and the like and see if there's any potential there. A tin can and and string is better than letting this get you down, right??