(Slightly) OT-Breathing a sigh of relief

Old 09-18-2009, 12:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
learning to live for me

Smile (Slightly) OT-Breathing a sigh of relief

I have a confession.
I have trichtillomania/skin picking disorder.
Its kind of a hybrid between the two, but regardless, its a Body-Focused Repetitive Behavior (BFRB).
I've had it since I was about eleven, and its been my "go-to" whenever I feel stressed, worried, anxious or depressed.

I will take tweezers and use a needle to remove ingrown hairs and then pluck all the hairs out of my legs and other areas on my body (not my head, THANK GOD).

I have kept it pretty well hidden, and have always been VERY ashamed.
I thought I was the only person in the world who did this.
I shared it w/ my bf and of course he wants me to stop, as does my family (who have noticed it throughout the years) but I don't think anyone really cared enough to look into it.
I finally had the courage tonight to google it. And I found out, I'm NOT the only one!
There's a whole society dedicated to supporting those with BFRBs and educating!
When I looked at an online brochure and they showed a girl's legs that look identical to mine (bloody marks and scars all over her legs), I almost cried.
So tonight, I am breathing a sigh of relief.

I am not alone.
I am making a promise to myself that I will find a mental health provider who can help me using CBT or another form of therapy.
I just wanted to share with y'all my happiness.
I've never been brave enough to ask anyone about it. Now, I may just have the guts to lift up my sweatpants and show a doctor.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
On a tear

The internet has some very excellent uses...and your post proves that. How nice to have a world's worth of information at hand... with the caveat to always check out the sources.

But I 'get' this. I was a cutter back 40 years ago... when no one *I* knew had ever heard of it. I am finding it to be quite common in those of us who suffer from addiction. Imagine that? But I found out here on this forum, especially, how unrare it is.

Not being alone and being able to touch base with others who are going through the same thing is very, very powerful. I wish you the best. ((hugs))
Old 09-18-2009, 08:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey...

About a year ago, I was looking at unhealthy coping styles... and I learned via the WWW - that my need for picking IS a form of unhealthy coping.

Being aware of it has really helped me cut down, but this not smoking business - my finger nails are so short. They are starting to get a bit better and I finally might be able to get a manicure. I have found getting manicures or tips/fills - it really cuts down me biting or picking at my nails.

My youngest bites his nails... and has since he was 1 years old! My father also is a - picker -. I'm thinking it's genetic.

When my x and I were having the worst of times - I would go to the mirror and start picking at my face. I learned via the net - that picking was a release and it also was a form of bringing the internal pain to the external. Representation, if you will.

CBT is wonderful...... thank you for sharing .... it is helpful to not feel alone.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's really great that you have shared here and aren't afraid any more to look for help in working on this disorder. Thanks for sharing it here - I am sur eyou will never quite realize how many people you have helped just by your post.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

No....you definitely are not alone. My sister shaves her head to keep from plucking bald patches and she pulls her eyebrows and eyelashes out fairly often.

When she was pulling her hair on her head, it almost seemed like an absent-minded thing she did while reading.....

There is help and support out there!!!

Hugs, HG