Notices

Does any know...

Old 09-17-2009, 11:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Galatians 5:13

Does any know...

Why do recovering alcoholics count sober days? How did that start? Is it helpful to you? If our goal is sobriety forever isn't counting days futile? Did it start with the "one day at a time" mantra? I am not belittling it - I count them! I just had this very random thought today about why we do it. It isn't very inspiring to me, maybe it would be if I were on day 2,920 or somewhere close. Actually, I would hope I would have stopped counting by then, but who knows.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Interesting question. I couldn't find anything on the internet, other than because "every day counts".

Counting how many sober days you have helps others understand where you are in your recovery. For example, the first few days, you are usually detoxing, and people around you need to be aware of that, both for medical reasons, and because you are very likely to be "all over the map" emotionally. The first couple of weeks or months are (I think) when you're most likely to relapse. If you're looking for a sponsor, I would assume you want someone with a number of years' sobriety. My 2 cents.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Heathen

I don't count And I don't know why I would.. all it does is remind me how far away from that list drink I am, and nothing about how close that next drink could be.

I see counting days like taking a break. If I were going to quit drinking for xx days, I could understand.. but I'm a non drinker.. I don't want or need a reminder each day about another day sober.. I don't eat meat.. I became a vegetarian years ago, I have no need to count my meatless days either.

I think some folks will chime in and say that it makes them feel proud of the time they've been without a drink.. and to each his own.

I don't get it either, as my point is permanent sobriety..
Old 09-17-2009, 12:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just do it because it makes me feel good. I like to know how far I've come and give myself a pat on the back. But if god willing I ever made it to like years I think I would stop counting days...but for now...I need those numbers damnit!!
Old 09-17-2009, 01:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I counted the days the first four months or so, keeping track of my own personal progress. My previous best prior to this was 69 days. Every day after that was pure gravy & gave me something to built on. Perhaps that's weird, but it helped me out a lot...............................
Old 09-17-2009, 01:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I count because I need to remind myself how far back my last drink was - for 2 reasons:

1.) I know if I've come this far I can keep going further. No matter how much time someone has I don't think they really want to 'lose' it. If I can make it for 10 days then maybe I can make it for 30 days, if I make it for 30 days then I can make it for 60 days. Then when I make it for 60 days I'll bet I can make it for 90 days... and so on.

2.) The further away I get from my last drink the easier it is to forget how bad it was... and I don't ever want to forget, so my clean/sober time reminds not to forget, ever.

Just my opinion.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

PrimalScream...had 2 laugh at yr post..I enjoyed it.
I'm torn about this 2.
Had over 5+ years, then had a relapse in the end of July, so only days here.
Yea, would like that pat on the back but, hey I give myself that, since I know I can do this forever, permanently....well, let's just hope so, that my goal anyway.
Tammy and good thought provoking post.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Heathen

Tallcactus, you raise a good point..

What about folks with x+years and then a relapse? Do days not count? etc... which we've discussed and discussed..

I just wanted to add that although I don't count my days, I do know the exact DATE of my last drink.. that I will never ever forget, as the next day started my new life.. and the day before was as hopeless as I've ever thought I could feel.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't count but i know my sobriety date. It is down to the individual i guess, for me last time, before AA (just my experience remember), when i stopped for 5 months i was counting the days like it was a life sentence! However If you are counting as Tommyk says then that's for the right reasons!

I still think that 6 month, 1 year etc is a moment to be proud of, humbly proud...IMO:-)

Whatever motivates you...you only have today to enjoy though really, as not succumbing to your DOC doesn't guarantee you will wake up tomorrow;-)
Old 09-17-2009, 02:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I count so I can look forward to all of the chips.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tommyk View Post

2.) The further away I get from my last drink the easier it is to forget how bad it was... and I don't ever want to forget, so my clean/sober time reminds not to forget, ever.
Amen.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Do i keep track of the amount of time since i last used?
Yes. 3 years, 7 months, & 17 days ago.

Does it help me?
Yes. It qualifies me for various positions
of service where that is a requirement.

i pay more attention to the quality of my recovery rather than the amount of time i have clean & sober. Time alone did not give me the freedom from self obsession, defects of character, or my disease that i desperatly needed. That comes as a result of working the 12 Steps & 12 Traditions to the best of my ability every day. Just because i have another day clean & sober does not mean i am any closer to the God of my understanding or being of service to another alcoholic/addict. It is my responsibility to use the time i have to grow and to make progress in living a new way of life. If i become complacent because i think i am immune from the influence of this disease due to the amount of clean time i have, i am deceiving myself. What good is having the time if i'm not doing anything with it? What good is being clean & sober if i'm not going to live life on life's terms? If all i have is abstinence, then i am shortchanging myself from all the blessings that this program of recovery has to offer. If i still have all the problems i walked in with, then i have not found the spiritual solutions this program of recovery offers me. If all i'm doing is killing time, then i am still slowly killing myself with unchanged attitudes & actions that a drug or drink may finish the job for me.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I count because it helps me keep in focus & makes me ask myself, do I really want to go backwards X number of days that I already have under my belt.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I dont count. I dont even know my exact date either. I know a round about time frame.
I dont because it puts alot of pressure on me. I dont count because if I do happen to screw up. I cant be even more disappointed at how much time I lost. I just be pissed off that I screwed up.
It is stressful for me. I found when I did count days. Milestones were nerve racking as well. I am sorta on the same page with smacked.
But dont think I wont let yall know when I hit 6 mos or a year for the first time ever. I may not know exactly when that is. But I have some sort of an idea.
But after that. I think I will just let the time thing go completely.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Seems the common view is... whatever works for you.... I see it as a journey of enlightenment on the road of clear mind and the beginning of a new chapter which has been long waiting to start.... how do we know how far we have come if don't know where we started? Yes I count days because I still need self-praise to reinforce the next day and the next..... I don't see is as a distance from last drink but time spent as part of the world again and how good it feels, not just the selfish (and needed)... hey no hangover great... but also others around you noticing the change and 'welcoming' you back in their minds eye.... I also see it as an awakening to my spiritual calm and realizing that it was choked by the poison.... peace has something I haven't felt for a long time and I feel it important to mark that day in my life when it dawned... I have long way to go and the journey has just begun ... but I like what I see.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Red face

I keep a eye on my days in order to keep my recovery in manageable units of

time. In particular one day. The KISS system in practice
Old 09-17-2009, 06:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I keep track.

It gives me something to hang onto when everything else is going to sh!t. No matter what's going on in my life I can be proud of myself for the time I spent wisely and this keeps my head above the water. Every day sober, especially consecutive days, is all made of win. It's okay to pat myself on the back for this. FSM knows I've spent far too much time kicking my own @ss.

I'll hit 6 months Oct. 1. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi, this is always a good question tammy711...

There was a time, well up until very recently, on tough days, those "don't drink, just for today" days... It was one tool I could use... Like... Well, I have been sober for 180 days, what's one more, I've done it 180 times already...

That tool did and still does work... It's not a real good one, but, hey, whatever you do... just don't drink.

But I am learning that today's sobriety shouldn't be dependent on yesterday's... So that tool is getting a little rusty, but it's still there if I need it.

Also, especially at beginner's meetings, it is good to recognize milestones... Good for the newly sober and good for the group. It is part of the fellowship. If you celebrate you do that not for yourself, but for the group. Which is all good, because I can't stay sober by myself.

You'll notice we celebrate here... I find it really helps bring us all a little closer, share the joy, ya know!!... I hope you will celebrate them here too!!

1 year and 3 days

Mark
Old 09-17-2009, 07:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tammy711 View Post
Why do recovering alcoholics count sober days? How did that start? Is it helpful to you? If our goal is sobriety forever isn't counting days futile? Did it start with the "one day at a time" mantra?
Welcome!!!

Well, referring to our status as recovering alcoholics/addicts, many of us used/drank every day, for many years, each day clean and sober is a victory, so I think counting days for the newly sober-and telling us about their daily victory, or monthly, really helps us.

And the goal for me isn't sobriety forever, it's sobriety today.

At the AA meetings I attend, the only references to days end at 11 months.

I really wanted to crow about getting 1000 days but the day came and went and I was several weeks late before I noticed it.

If it helps someone to remain sober I'm all for counting days.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

I don't count personally, though I have a rough idea of how long it's been. I'd say that those that do count because they view every day sober as a true miracle in their lives. One day builds upon another and they become a point of pride.

For me personally, I found counting to be counterproductive. I had a tendency to relapse around certain "anniversary dates" ie: 30 days, 60 days, etc., but I have that tendency in my life in general. It seems like I have a "fear of success" in general, so that is why I don't count anymore. I know many who count with success, and many who don't. Do what is right for you.

BTW, welcome to SR!!! Take care.