Notices

Day 10, and the temtation is greater than ever!

Old 09-17-2009, 07:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 10, and the temtation is greater than ever!

The last 10 days seems to have flew by. Which is good. I have felt good the last few days, not really even considering a drink. And today for some reason because its nice out, the kids are at school, and my plan is to get my new Cosmo out & lay in the pool for a few hours (seeing as in MN we wont get many more 80 degree days) Now for the last hour while I was finishing up house work I keep thinking boy it sure would be nice to just have a margarita or something out there....

Why now after 10 days am I fighting myself more than before?
I have to stay strong, my sister & parents will be so dissapointed if I drink.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi ToaBetterMe,

The early days are a real struggle, especially when it's nice outdoors and we feel at ease. The thoughts catch us off guard. We have to try not to dwell on them, and especially not to act on them. Hang in there and keep focusing on a better life without alcohol.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Be patient. It took about 20 to 30 days for those little cravings to go away. Learning to do things sober takes time, but is interesting and new at the same time. I couldnt do anything sober, and i mean anything! i couldnt shower, eat, get up, lay by the pool, go anywhere, unless i did something to change the way i felt. I drank if i had a bad day, i drank to make a good day better, and if it was an ok day, well... i drank to make it a great day. The scary thing is when drinking stopped working. Keep this thing up and i promise you that things will get easier and you will learn to do the simple things sober. I wouldnt be here 18 months sober, if sobriety sucked and i couldnt do things without a drink.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hang in there, I'm also on day 10 and my day is kinda sucky, I know I will not drink today. I have been told over and over that if you are going to quit it needs to be for YOU. I think this time I actually get that, im quitting to save my own life. You mentioned how disappointed your family would be should you choose to drink, try and focus maybe on how disappointed you would be with yourself and what it means to become sobor for you alone
Old 09-17-2009, 10:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

you can do it. i'm on day 10 too. fortunately i'm at work and will be until the evening. the down time is killer. saturdays and sundays especially for me as the drinking started upon wakeup.

you can do this. stay with us other day 10s.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carrie36 View Post
Hang in there, I'm also on day 10 and my day is kinda sucky, I know I will not drink today. I have been told over and over that if you are going to quit it needs to be for YOU. I think this time I actually get that, im quitting to save my own life. You mentioned how disappointed your family would be should you choose to drink, try and focus maybe on how disappointed you would be with yourself and what it means to become sobor for you alone
Oh I agree, I know I want to be sober, I love not having to wonder what I did the night before, or what I said. But my sister & I are going through this together, we both drank ALOT. And every time we got together we drank. She has been in AA for over 3 wks now.
I guess because this is kind of a family thing now, We check in with eachother several times a day.

I bribed myself with a Oriental Salad if I would just eat that & go outside & quit thinking about it.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Have you made any other 'real' changes in your life besides just quitting drinking (which is a HUGE accomplishment, by the way - congrats)...?

Any AA meetings, an exercise program, new activites to fill the void?

Keep coming back.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

'Distraction' is the key... keep busy, change routine, remove the triggers, take up new interest.

Excellent news about your 10 days, and yes it gets better and the cravings will reduce... as someone mentioned in the posts here... alcohol was such a big part of your life.... it is only to be expected that you body will crave it. It can;t be helped and will catch you at the worst moments sometimes and it seems you have found the strength to combat that already.

Stick with it you are doing well.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Meow

Originally Posted by a fallen man View Post
you can do this. stay with us other day 10s.
Stay with us 10's! You can do it!
Old 09-17-2009, 10:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tommyk View Post
Have you made any other 'real' changes in your life besides just quitting drinking (which is a HUGE accomplishment, by the way - congrats)...?

Any AA meetings, an exercise program, new activites to fill the void?

Keep coming back.
Yeah, I spend as much time outside as I can, I cut out caffine, and try to not watch TV at all during the day. Being out in the sun helps my mood alot.
I check in with my sister & parents regularly. My sister has gone to AA for 3 wks now. Once football is done I think I will go to a couple meetings & see what I think.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree with what some others have said--try changing your routine to distract yourself. If you usually lounge in the pool with a drink, try swimming some laps maybe? I've been doing yoga and treadmill when those thoughts hit me. Calling people is a good idea too. Have you tried AA? I find it really helps, not at all what I had imagined it was like. Look online for a women-only group. Lots of good women there, they are great resources and they encourage you to call them when you're feeling down or tempted. Good luck--you can do this!!! Big Hugs, and congrats on 10 days!!!!
Old 09-17-2009, 11:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Heathen

Hang in there.. you know tomorrow you wont wake up and think "thank goodness I drank!".
Old 09-17-2009, 05:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great advice here TABM

Go easy on yourself - it's normal to feel this way - it's only 10 days in...thats still very early recovery.

We drank and drugged for years right? It takes a while to get settled into sobriety for all of us.

You're doing great - keep it up
D
Old 09-17-2009, 05:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Red face

WElcome To betterme,
Great job you aren't alone in this thing and yeah it takes a while to begin new

habits and it seems as if your starting a non-drinking habit. The caffine

reduction helps big time as caffine and sugar can stimulate a fear response in

the body which of course begs for that drinky-poo. Hope you can get to a

meeting. It couldn't hurt