Heroin Use by Members of Your Household and Hepatitis and STDs

Old 09-16-2009, 10:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Children who live in homes where heroin addicts live are at significantly higher risk of contracting Hepatitis than children who do not. People who have sex with heroin addicts are at significantly higher risk of contracting Hepatitis and other viral diseases (including STDs like AIDS) than people who do not.

Heroin addicts contract and spread STDs and Hepatitis at a much higher rate than the general population.

Generally, Hepatitis is transmitted from person to person by coming into contact with body fluids from having sex with infected people, and other contact with blood, semen, and other body fluids. Hepatitis is also transmitted from mother to baby.

If you are in a relationship with a person who is addicted to Heroin, or your child lives in a home with a person addicted to Heroin (either a recovering or active user) please educate and protect yourself and your child by contacting your local health authority for vaccination.

You can often get these services for free or low-cost in the U.S. and other developed countries.

Last edited by Ann; 09-17-2009 at 05:14 AM. Reason: font increase
Old 09-16-2009, 11:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My AH, who is no longer in the home, has Hep C. At first it freaked me out but I was very grateful that he talked to me about it before we had sex and then even made an appointment for me to speak to his physician about any concerns or questions I had.

When I got pregnant, I was concerned that somehow the Hep. C could be transfered to the baby. They did all the tests and fortunately I was still coming up negative for the virus.

Now that the baby has been born and is now 3, we did take certain precautions with her, such as not sharing the same toothbrush, covering any type of wound or cut, just as two examples.

We've been diligent. I'm still coming up negative (thank you Jesus!) and he's gone now. Our daughter is healthy.

I agree though, certain precautions should be taken. I would take the same precautions with the flu, pneumonia, a bad head or chest cold or any virus though.

Thank you for posting that. (On my screen the words were TINY).
Old 09-16-2009, 12:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Here's something that kind of embarrasses me to admit: My current RAbf had, along with a PCP addiction, an addiction to sex with female prostitutes. Not as uncommon as you might think. He never got any diseases (other than the brain damage..lol) from the PCP, but he contracted Hep C from an "encounter." And that encounter happened when he had five years clean off of drugs, years before I met him. He was in the hospital for weeks and almost died. It was the thing that finally stopped that particular behavior. So, just so everyone knows, lots of male addicts are clean off of drugs but still living a high-risk life-style. Just to be aware.

Love,
KJ
Old 09-16-2009, 12:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
grateful rca

2live and kj

sad but i believe it to be true.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

KidsHealth - the Web's most visited site about children's health

Here is some more info. I pulled from the above website I use at work with the children. It's a pretty good website actually. It also has some information on how to deal with difficult situations with your children. Hope this is helpful. Thanks Learn2Live for starting this thread.

About Hepatitis

The word hepatitis simply means an inflammation of the liver without pinpointing a specific cause. Someone with hepatitis may:

have one of several disorders, including viral or bacterial infection of the liver
have a liver injury caused by a toxin (poison)
have liver damage caused by interruption of the organ's normal blood supply
be experiencing an attack by his or her own immune system through an autoimmune disorder
have experienced trauma to the abdomen in the area of the liver
Hepatitis is most commonly caused by one of three viruses:

the hepatitis A virus
the hepatitis B virus
the hepatitis C virus
In some rare cases, the Epstein Barr Virus (which causes mononucleosis) can also result in hepatitis because it can cause inflammation of the liver. Other viruses and bacteria that also can cause hepatitis include hepatitis D and E, chickenpox, and cytomegalovirus (CMV).

Hepatitis A
In children, the most common form of hepatitis is hepatitis A (also called infectious hepatitis). This form is caused by the hepatitis A virus (HAV), which lives in the stools (feces or poop) of infected individuals. Infected stool can be present in small amounts in food and on objects (from doorknobs to diapers).

HAV is spread:

when someone ingests anything that's contaminated with HAV-infected stool (this makes it easy for the virus to spread in overcrowded, unsanitary living conditions)
in water, milk, and foods, especially in shellfish
Because hepatitis A can be a mild infection, particularly in children, it's possible for some people to be unaware that they have had the illness. In fact, although medical tests show that about 40% of urban Americans have had hepatitis A, only about 5% recall being sick. Although the hepatitis A virus can cause prolonged illness up to 6 months, it typically only causes short-lived illnesses and it does not cause chronic liver disease.

Hepatitis B
Hepatitis B (also called serum hepatitis) is caused by the hepatitis B virus (HBV). HBV can cause a wide spectrum of symptoms ranging from general malaise to chronic liver disease that can lead to liver cancer.

HBV spreads through:

infected body fluids, such as blood, saliva, semen, vaginal fluids, tears, and urine
a contaminated blood transfusion (uncommon in the United States)
shared contaminated needles or syringes for injecting drugs
sexual activity with an HBV-infected person
transmission from HBV-infected mothers to their newborn babies

Hepatitis C
The hepatitis C virus (HCV) is spread by direct contact with an infected person's blood. The symptoms of the hepatitis C virus can be very similar to those of the hepatitis A and B viruses. However, infection with HCV can lead to chronic liver disease and is the leading reason for liver transplant in the United States.

The hepatitis C virus can be spread by:

sharing drug needles
getting a tattoo or body piercing with unsterilized tools
blood transfusions (especially ones that occurred before 1992; since then the U.S. blood supply has been routinely screened for the disease)
transmission from mother to newborn
sexual contact (although this is less common)
Hepatitis C is also a common threat in kidney dialysis centers. Rarely, people living with an infected person can contract the disease by sharing items that might contain that person's blood, such as razors or toothbrushes.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sorry the words were tiny. Am I doing something wrong with my posts you think?

To tell the truth, I didn't think that there would be people who had real-life stories to share so I really appreciate Mrs Magoo and KJ sharing theirs. It makes it so much more "real" and therefore, more scary to hear it in human terms rather than just medical terms.

Thanks for sharing the more specific info too, URMYEVERYTHING. I hope people with small children are aware of these things. It sounds to me like you could even contract these things pushing a grocery cart around! Yechh!
Old 09-16-2009, 04:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

-.- Shouldn't've read it.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

-.- Shouldn't've read it.
I'm sorry of this thread upset you Jason, knowing that you lived with your dad.

How about going to the doctor and getting tested so you won't have to worry?

Love and hugs,
Old 09-16-2009, 05:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

Probably a good idea...just need to find time to do it. God, I hate the idea though..
Old 09-16-2009, 07:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SpeedyJason View Post
Probably a good idea...just need to find time to do it. God, I hate the idea though..
I bit the bullet and was tested back when I was pregnant with my youngest, Jason. Not only was I high-risk because I was a former IV user, but I also shared needles with my EXAH when we were married. He was also unfaithful to me during those five years.

Please get that appointment made, and know that I will be with you in spirit, okay? :ghug2
Old 09-16-2009, 08:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hep C

My name is Alex and I'm a recovering alcoholic and IV drug user. I've been living with hep c for about 4 years. I cannot afford treatment and I dont have medical insurance. Heres some information from the center for disease control:
"Hepatitis C is a contagious liver disease that results from infection with the hepatitis C virus. It can range in severity from a mild illness lasting a few weeks to a serious, lifelong illness. Hepatitis C is usually spread when blood from a person infected with the hepatitis C virus enters the body of someone who is not infected. Today, most people become infected with the hepatitis C virus by sharing needles or other equipment to inject drugs. Before 1992, when widespread screening of the blood supply began in the United States, hepatitis C was also commonly spread through blood transfusions and organ transplants.

Hepatitis C can be either “acute” or “chronic.” Acute hepatitis C virus infection is a short-term illness that occurs within the first 6 months after someone is exposed to the hepatitis C virus. For most people, acute infection leads to chronic infection. Chronic hepatitis C is a serious disease than can result in long-term health problems, or even death.

There is no vaccine for hepatitis C. The best way to prevent hepatitis C is by avoiding behaviors that can spread the disease, especially injection drug use"

and:
"How is hepatitis C spread?
Hepatitis C is spread when blood from a person infected with the hepatitis C virus enters the body of someone who is not infected. Today, most people become infected with the hepatitis C virus by sharing needles or other equipment to inject drugs. Before 1992, when widespread screening of the blood supply began in the United States, hepatitis C was also commonly spread through blood transfusions and organ transplants.

People can become infected with the hepatitis C virus during such activities as

Sharing needles, syringes, or other equipment to inject drugs
Needlestick injuries in healthcare settings
Being born to a mother who has hepatitis C
Less commonly, a person can also get hepatitis C virus infection through

Sharing personal care items that may have come in contact with another person’s blood, such as razors or toothbrushes
Having sexual contact with a person infected with the hepatitis C virus
Can hepatitis C be spread through sexual contact?
Yes, but the risk of transmission from sexual contact is believed to be low. The risk increases for those who have multiple sex partners, have a sexually transmitted disease, engage in rough sex, or are infected with HIV. More research is needed to better understand how and when hepatitis C can be spread through sexual contact.

Can you get hepatitis C by getting a tattoo or piercing?
A few major research studies have not shown hepatitis C to be spread through licensed, commercial tattooing facilities. However, transmission of hepatitis C (and other infectious diseases) is possible when poor infection-control practices are used during tattooing or piercing. Body art is becoming increasingly popular in the United States, and unregulated tattooing and piercing are known to occur in prisons and other informal or unregulated settings. Further research is needed to determine if these types of settings and exposures are responsible for hepatitis C virus transmission.

Can hepatitis C be spread within a household?
Yes, but this does not occur very often. If hepatitis C virus is spread within a household, it is most likely a result of direct, through-the-skin exposure to the blood of an infected household member.

What are ways hepatitis C is not spread?
Hepatitis C virus is not spread by sharing eating utensils, breastfeeding, hugging, kissing, holding hands, coughing, or sneezing. It is also not spread through food or water."

and lastly:
" What are the long-term effects of hepatitis C?
Of every 100 people infected with the hepatitis C virus, about

75–85 people will develop chronic hepatitis C virus infection; of those,
60–70 people will go on to develop chronic liver disease
5–20 people will go on to develop cirrhosis over a period of 20–30 years
1–5 people will die from cirrhosis or liver cancer "

there is more info on the site: http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/C/

sorry thats so long but its important for people to get the CORRECT information about this.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

This is an excellent thread about a topic that is important to all of us.

In a perfect world we would never have to consider this or get tested, but early detection is everything when it comes to treatment and treatment today is far superior to even a few years back.

If you live in a risky environment, please take the time to get checked and keep yourself safe and healthy.

Hugs

P.S. I fixed the font. Anytime you need attention brought to a post, just clike on the report a post button on the left and the mods will see it and know what post it is.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ann, where is the report a post button? I don't see it. Tx.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Bottom left corner and it looks like this
Old 09-17-2009, 09:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks Chino. I see it now :O)
Old 09-18-2009, 11:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Also, I might add that I DIDNT get Hep C from sharing needles, but from sharing other drug equipment with people. Cookers, cottons, etc. can transmit the virus. It can survive in blood exposed to the air for a short time, unlike HIV.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

I just wanted to make sure it's clear that potential transmission of diseases like Hepatitis C and HIV/AIDS can come as a result of IV drug use, no matter what the drug. It's not the drug itself that carries the disease -- it's about the use of any needle (or other related paraphernalia) that has been exposed to these diseases. Therefore, these concerns should not be limited to IV heroin abusers. There are also addicts who inject cocaine, steroids, morphine, etc.. According to Wiki's Drug Injection article, "In descending order, the most popular injected drugs in unsupervised use are opioids, anabolic steroids, stimulants, depressants, dissociative hallucinogens, other hallucinogens, and anticholinergics."

There are heroin addicts who do not use needles. I know this from personal experience. I was addicted to smoking heroin -- I never touched (or for that matter even saw) any needles at any time during my addiction.

In any case, for anyone who has had possible exposure to these diseases, getting checked out is always a good idea. If one finds they have been infected, they can start receiving treatment for it. If one finds they have not been infected, their concerns will be settled.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SteppingItUp View Post
I just wanted to make sure it's clear that potential transmission of diseases like Hepatitis C and HIV/AIDS can come as a result of IV drug use, no matter what the drug. It's not the drug itself that carries the disease -- it's about the use of any needle (or other related paraphernalia) that has been exposed to these diseases. Therefore, these concerns should not be limited to IV heroin abusers.
I agree 100%. I was an IV user of crystal meth. So was my EXAH.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I just want to say thanks especially to the folks who posted with the real-life information and explaining about drug use that it is not just about heroin users. I had no idea, really, how dangerous all these drug things are. I'm so stupid about it, I don't even know how to talk intelligently about it. So, I'm sorry if this post makes no sense.

Thank you everybody for sharing all this.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

It made perfect sense and it's good to remind all of us to be careful.

Thanks for all who shared their experience with this.

Hugs