Notices

Should i stop?

Old 09-15-2009, 03:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Should i stop?

I already know the answer but i need to see it. I'm a 24 year old guy from scotland and i can't stop drinking when i start. I don't drink every day but i know when i have a drink i will want more and more.
Most of the time i'm okay but more often now im regretting and feeling guilty about things i do when drunk. That's if i remember....
Any support and advice appreciated.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Jasper, if you already know the answer..............

I'm glad you've come here though. Welcome to SR, keep reading and posting and I'm sure you'll get tons of great responses. This place is GREAT!!!!!
Old 09-15-2009, 04:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR JasperFan

I try very hard not to flat out tell people what to do
but I started off like you - these things tend to progress - I didn't seek real help until years later and I was drinking all day every day.

Coming here helped me make up my mind....I hope it does the same for you.

We're a supportive group here - read around, post a bit...it's good to have you on board

D
Old 09-15-2009, 06:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Heathen

As much as I love to boss people around, I wont tell you what to do.. but I will SUGGEST you take a few months off and see if your life is better or worse for it I bet I can predict the answer!
Old 09-15-2009, 06:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

Of course, it's up to you if you want to stop drinking or not. I hope you decide to join us on our journey.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Jasper the ball is in your court really, is drinking at all worth the possible consequences to you?

I think what Smacked suggested to be a great way of helping you decide, take a whole month off from drinking then ask your self "Which do I prefer, staying sober or drinking?"

I will tell you what I know from first hand experience to be fact because I am an alcoholic, alcoholism is a progressive disease, it gets worse with every single drink, never better. I started off drinking like you and the longer I drank the more I drank and the more often I drank, I reached the point of physical as well as mental and spiritual addiction to alcohol. I did not draw a sober breath for 5 years in the end. I drank when I did not want to drink because I had to drink to feel normal.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Welcome, Jasper.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR...

Keep posting, I am glad you found us...
Old 09-15-2009, 10:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There is nothing worse than having to ask someone what happened the night before or are just too embarrassed because you know it can't be good!
Old 09-18-2009, 06:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I think I will take Smacked's advice and take a while off and see where i get to. I've got a feeling abstinence will be the best for me.

A bit more background on me. I started drinking properly when I was 14 when I got wasted with a bunch of people on a school trip to Germany. I was a shy guy and battling with my sexuality at that point. A couple of drinks made me more confident and a lot of drinks made me the life and soul of the party! I could never understand why you wouldn't keep drinking more and more and more. I hated the hangovers and the guilty feelings after and wondering what had happened. It first went wrong a few months later when my Mum had to sit up with me while I barfed up for 3 hours straight. I was good after that for a couple of years and then I ended up in hospital when I was 17 after swigging all night from a bottle of vodka at a party. I think one of my neighbours may have shown up to check up on me as my parents were away. To this day I don't know for sure if she did or not...

At uni everyone got wasted and I was no worse than a few other people I knew. I got myself a few friends that knew how to drink and had no qualms about drinking on a school night and missing lectures all the next day because of hangovers.

Now I'm working and was diagnosed with depression just over a year ago. I lost my confidence that I had gained whilst I was at uni. I started getting nervous about going to parties etc and after a 'few' drinks I always feel 'normal'. I was also diagnosed with post viral fatigue a couple of months after that and this has affected my tolerance for alcohol which is where things have started to go wrong recently. Sometimes I get drunk really easily and don't realise until too late. My hangovers are horrendous. I almost always vomit the next day, feel lousy for 2 and feel mentally hungover for at least 2 days. I've missed a couple of days of work because i've gone out for one after work the night before and end up getting home at 1/2am having drunk 2 bottles of wine. I might even have had that last bottle by myself if my friends decide they don't want to stick with me.

I feel crap at the moment but am glad to have found a supportive place to come and get some support so thanks again for comments etc
Old 09-18-2009, 09:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Welcome Jasper You'll probably find a few answers during your sober time.. and I bet you'll feel better and better! I know I have. Glad you're here!
Old 09-18-2009, 09:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome JasperFan, I think taking a month or so off to see what's what is a great idea, it doesn't sound like the path you are following currently is really working out all that well. Hang out here a lot for support and encouragement, it's a great place.