The blessings of long distance :)

Old 09-13-2009, 01:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The blessings of long distance :)

I just wanted to give an update about where I am with ABF and more importantly with me! ABF went to detox in June and was determined to quit drinking. He did well with the drinking, but over time the pot smoking became a real bother for me. Because of the recession, I was not able to get a teaching job over the summer and he has had trouble finding a job here in town (he did show a genuine effort), so finances were extremely tight (my parents paid the rent...). I was frustrated because his "friends" supplied the pot. So overall, it was much better than the drinking, but not enough for me and I told him that.

I suppose then my higher power (rediscovered through this whole process - everything happens for a reason) stepped in: his dad asked him to visit for two weeks to help with some work. As soon as he got there, a friend offered him a great job. He has been gone for two weeks now and he is so happy to be working. He is working on finding the right medication mix (he is a vet and was diagnosed with PTSD).

But my point is that I have this place to myself, I am teaching again, I am finishing up my degree, and I will start the job search soon. My professors are extremely supportive of me and ABF said: "I will take this time to get back on track career wise and you do the same. You are more relaxed when I am not there, so let's make this a blessing." He has been very supportive, both emotionally and financially. I don't know where I will find a job, but for now this works out well for me.

It's nice to be on my own for now. I have the remote to myself, ha! I sleep better and I am just enjoying all this space. So I guess trusting the higher power does pay off, doesn't it?