Hysterical call from AD this morning

Old 09-12-2009, 03:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hysterical call from AD this morning

Seems they put her in medical isolation for a MRSA infection in a wound on her hand. My kid is and always has been unable to cope with being alone, by herself, with herself. She'll be in this medical isolation for 3 days while the Bactrim kicks in. She has no access to TV, reading material, other people or anything else. She simply does not know how to be with herself.

One of my friends said, "She has no choice but to get with God".

So she got permission to call dear old mom from in there. Poor thing, she is so pathetic sounding.

On another related subject, I realize I must set boundaries with how many of these collect calls from the jail I can/should take. Already blew thru most of the $25 I put on my card for this and that was only in 2 calls/2days. It will be difficult for me tell her to call less but I will. Funny, she called me like 3 times for maybe 3 minutes each time, in the whole past year while using.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Too bad they won't let her have reading material, that can pass the time a little easier.

Her HP has her covered, and maybe just wants to give her time to think.

I know all this is hard for you but yes, it can be expensive. Maybe limit it to one call a week. Or if she is going to be there a while, maybe send her some paper and prestamped envelopes and let her write.

Big Hugs
Old 09-12-2009, 06:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What in the world can be both agonizing and soul healing at the same time?....silence, or so it is with me.

Sometimes I find myself just begging for quiet and then other times I'm driven mad by it.

Maybe if there's nothing else to do and no other distraction, she'll finally hear her own conscience talking. Dare to dream, right?

Good for you for checking, adjusting, and rethinking those boundaries. When circumstances change, we adapt. That's what those tools are for! BRAVO!

Alice
Old 09-13-2009, 05:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ann - I don't think she will be there as long I would like. Probably only until the 22nd (next court date), or a bit longer - maybe until a bed is available in Sunrise House after the 22nd. Unfortunately I found out she can't have any reading material except that which comes directly from a book store in the book store's packaging. Wish I knew that before I mailed her a book. Whatever. County jail has changed since I was there for my brief time (before my own family bailed me out which will not happen in her case!). I think a boundary of twice a week would work though, since twice a week seems to cost about $25. However, I could see myself resenting even that amount on a bad day in the future when i let myself get resentful (especially if this will not lead to any recovery time for Leah). I hope my daughter does use the time to think and pray. 2 novel ideas for her, without a doubt.

ItsmeAlice - The time alone for peace and quiet is just one way my AD and I differ. I would find it restfu and safe (away from other inmates, being the isolator I am); she would find it torturous. But I must trust God that 'torturous'. is all part of the long range plan He has for her and her best interests. And thanks for the encouragement that I may be handling this OK afterall. I need that sort of encouragement.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sleepygoat don't they have a library they can get books from? My son is in jail and the same rule goes about sending them books must be shipped right from store, no hardbacks. But they do have books that he can borrow. I know what you mean about the calls they are so expensive. Since my son is across the country he calls all the time because he has no visitors. I end up taking the calls since he is clean for now and sounds great.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The consequences of using drugs suck. But I'm glad she is alive and sober enough to feel them.

You sound like your head is right where it needs to be sleepygoat. Good for you. You are doing great.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

cherrie - according to my daughter, she can only use the library if she is representing herself in court - must be a law-library. I suggested yesterday that she ask again about any other books that are available. Who knows?

hello-K - thanks! BTW, love your avatar. Is that your own kitty? She's lovely.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

No reading material?? Thats odd?? They should give her something to read - how about a book on her recovery?? As far as the calls go, you are right. Set the boundry and your child will have to learn to cope!! If I covert $25 to my currency its expensive??

Is Sunrise House a rehap? If so, Im sure things will be better when she is transfered.
You will be fine!!!!
Old 09-13-2009, 08:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

that's my Hef!
Old 09-13-2009, 10:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, Envelope, Sunrise house is a rehab. She was there a year ago and lasted 12 days (that was good - the longest time yet) before she signed herself out to smoke crack. Sunrise House is the rehab the jail court orders them too, it just so happens, so that's where she would likely be sentenced to once she sees the judge and gets her cases heard again. I happen to like S. House, and also happen to know one of the couselors there from my NA Area. I betcha rehab is starting to look like Club Med from where my AD sits right now.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sleepy, My daughter was in county for 60 days for dui (burlington) and they did isolation for the first couple of days for everyone. It seemed extreme to me and her first call once out of there, she was pretty panicked. They had the soft cover bookstore rule too, but the inmates tended to share among themselves. (once she was out of isolation that is)
I was pretty flipped out at the time about the system, the people that worked there and how it seemed the state prisons provided better treatment of inmates than the county system...My daughter celebrated her first year while in jail, so I wasn't focused so much on her being safe and clean in there. But the thing I learned later from her was that she realized she needed that lesson - it humbled her and it made her more grateful for what she had. She lost her sense of entitlement. It may have been just what she needed to stay clean and to work a program of recovery. She's come a long, long way from that person in jail in the last 2 1/2 years.

I hope this experience has a similar affect for your daughter. Hang in there - you are doing great!