How to be supportive of recovering addicts

Old 09-06-2009, 07:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to be supportive of recovering addicts

Hello,

I am new on this board and signed up to find out how one can be supportive of recovering addicts and how recovery works. Yesterday I went to dinner to some freinds of my boyfriends and they have recently quit their cocaine addiction. The girl took initiative and went to rehab then came back and the boyfriend stopped. At dinner they both looked very jittery and there was a lot of alcohol, tabacco and some pot going around, this brought up some questions in me as to what exactly rehab consisted off and if by participating by social consumption of alcohol for example we werent contributing to their problem with substance abuse.
Some of my questions are

In rehab programs, when people rehablitate from one drug, like cocaine, can they continue drinking and smoking pot for example or must they keep clean from all substances?

Do ex cocaine users continue to have nervous ticks and jitters when they have been off the cocaine recently?

Wat kind of support do addicts need from their social environment? (ex. everyone agrees to abstain from drinking when the evening is with them? or is it ok to maintiain the social habits were used to?)

Thanks in advance for replies, I really would like to help out in providing a supportive environment for people with these problems as I have seen so much desrtucion come from cocaine drug adiction that I would hate to think that I am bringing a negative contribution to the struggles of those who want to get back on track.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I cannot answer your questions about ex-cocaine users, but NA does not consider you sober if you are still using MJ or alcohol, or any other illegal drug, or for that matter using legal drugs illegally or not following the dosage. The same thing is true for rehabs.

I think every one of these people are on very thin ice.

If I had to "support" one of them, i would advise them to get to an NA meeting.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ago

There is nothing you can do to "help" them stay sober

Recovery is an inside job, in that the addict has to do it for themselves

And as mentioned Sobriety is abstaining from all mood and mind altering drugs

You can not "enable" them however, which is different and merits it's own thread

Personally if I saw two "newcomers" in an environment with pot and alcohol, and they were "jittery" I would just assume they were still using, since that's what using cocaine looks like, but we all know about the word "assume", doing so gets me in quite a bit of trouble.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Some use the term " support" when their actions are more geared towards controlling what other people do, or not.

It's a two-way street.

By this I mean, when people seek support, they are sometimes trying to control what you do. If my life is not perfect, well then I have a reason to get high.

When some people want to be supportive, they are sometimes trying to control what you do. If you do not live your life my way, you will fail.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Addicts in recovery (especially early recovery) should stay away from situations where there is MJ and booze. And should not be taking away. Their addictive behavior can easliy transfer to another substance. But the addict should have been told this in rehab!! If they choose to do other substances, you cannot control it. In my family's situation, my Sis-in-law is a few months into recovery and attending NA or AA several times a week. Her husband, my brother, has decided not to drink at this time. When I go to their house I do not bring any alcohol even for myself. Its my choice to do so. I'm planning a little party with them next week, with pizza, sushi, and soft drinks.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
On a tear

For me, changing away from using and drinking meant no longer participating in activities that included drugs and booze. If a wedding reception, for example, was going to be a boozy blow-out, we would go for the cake cutting and toasting and then leave. Mostly because sober, I found I didn't care for most drunks. Imagine that.

My friends changed to include folks who just don't drink and drug. So I no longer have to worry much about needing "support" of those around me.

Today, if someone told me they had given up cocaine, but was slamming meth instead... I would wonder what the hell they thought they were doing. Same with switching out cocaine for alcohol and pot. Guess I don't see how using a legal drug makes it any different.

As an addict alcoholic, I cannot use mind or mood-altering substances no matter whether they are legal, socially acceptable, or not.

Now. If my friends cannot give up the drugs and booze for an evening out... I might wonder if they are as sober as they think they are.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for your replies. The event was at their house, so we were invited over and they provided the drinks and pot. I was surprised because my bf had told me they had cleaned up and so I expected a somewhat healither environment but I was uncertain as I have noticed a lot of people use replacement as a method (ex. I quit this substance but to make it easier I take something softer) and I didnt know what the rehab methods consist of or promote, what the limits are...etc. Once again, thank you for the info. Take care.