Notices

Drunk dialing

Old 09-03-2009, 04:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drunk dialing

Do certain people make you NOT want to drink?

My cousin does. She calls me just about every day drunk. I thought it would make me want to drink too, but it has done just the opposite.

I notice things in her that I used to do, like telling the same stories over and over again, slurring- saying she hasn't been drinking when it is very obvious she has and just being boring.

I am taking her inventory though, and I know I am not supposed to do that. It is hard when she calls so often. We used to be very close, like sisters. She has cirrhosis of the liver and she is only 39. She won't/can't stop drinking though. I truly think she is one of those hopeless cases.

Anyway, it is probably not healthy to talk to her so often. What do you think?
Old 09-03-2009, 04:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bananagrrrl View Post

My cousin does. She calls me just about every day drunk. I thought it would make me want to drink too, but it has done just the opposite.

I notice things in her that I used to do, like telling the same stories over and over again, slurring- saying she hasn't been drinking when it is very obvious she has and just being boring.

I am taking her inventory though, and I know I am not supposed to do that. It is hard when she calls so often. We used to be very close, like sisters. She has cirrhosis of the liver and she is only 39. She won't/can't stop drinking though. I truly think she is one of those hopeless cases.

Yep.. that was me mr. drunk phone call guy.. i understand exactly what you mean. was that me???
Old 09-03-2009, 04:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Phone calls seemed much more interesting when you are under influence..
l once e-mailed a co-worker that l was in love with her...
l had a nice day when l sobered up and went back to work a week later...

I like liquor - its taste and its effects - and that is just the reason why I never drink it. ~Thomas Jackson
Old 09-03-2009, 05:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i think the time comes when you are over it ... i find myself screening calls a lot more now

and looking at the people i used to drink with ,, and realise wow is that what i looked and sounded like?

good luck with it, its a hard one especially since you were so close,
Old 09-03-2009, 05:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I did the phone call thing, too. So embarrassing!

My advice would be to screen the calls and distance yourself for awhile.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am working on the same issue, see my "Friends as Triggers" post.

Perhaps some of the replies there will help you decide.

Good luck, glad you are here,

BA
Old 09-03-2009, 06:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Heathen

Other people drinking usually are one of many things that keep me solid in my recovery. I dont want to smell like that, look like that, spend money like that, act like that... yuck!
Old 09-03-2009, 06:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by smacked View Post
Other people drinking usually are one of many things that keep me solid in my recovery. I dont want to smell like that, look like that, spend money like that, act like that... yuck!
I totally agree, Smacked. Congratulations on your 1 year sobriety, by the way.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

ugh I was notorious for my drunken phone calls, my daughter wouldn't take my calls at any time of the day or night because she didn't want to hear my cr*p anymore. Several times I even called my 80+ yr old old parents who lived 2000 miles away at 2am 3 am to complain about my "horrible childhood", I still feel quilty about that. There is no way now that I would listen to someone under the influence for even 5 seconds.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jamdls View Post
There is no way now that I would listen to someone under the influence for even 5 seconds.
Hmm, good idea.

I too was notoriously known as being a drunk dialer. Ex girlfriends, old friends, hell even my grandparents at various times in the night. Sooooo embarrassing. I was also leaving drunken messages on peoples facebook profiles too. For a while I would wake up Saturday/Sunday morning and send anyone I called the night before a "sorry" text message and then get on my computer and delete all the stuff I had said on people facebook profiles hopefully before they got online to see (even though it usually sends an email to them anyways).

Then I moved on to "hiding" the battery to my phone and my laptop before I would start drinking. Somehow I would always remember where I hid them in my drunken stupor.

Gahhhh
Old 09-03-2009, 08:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, I was one of those caller's too.
Had to LOL at these posts, because I saw me in a few.
karma= What U put out there comes back to U. Now, when I get these calls from my sister, I just try to listen, try to have compassion and really try not to hang up. I usually call her back in the AM and try to explain, that I will not take a call from her anymore, but she does not answer....So I leave a message, this happened 2 days ago. Sad.
and when this happens, so now, I will not take another call. Bountries.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I agree. When you're sober being around/listening to people when they are drunk can be an encouragement not to drink. Not always, but it can be.
I never called anyone but I was on facebook a lot. I worte some pretty stupid stuff and I could get aggressive for no reason. I tried to do the same thing as karma but, like him, I always managed to get online.
I hung out with a buddy of mine and stayed sober while he got trashed a while back. We would always have, what I thought, were these deep meaningful conversations when we were wasted. That is so not the case. He never said anything deep or meaningful and he acted like an ass. I really don't want to be or be a part of that anymore. What's the point?
Old 09-03-2009, 10:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I know it's not a funny issue, but I found myself laughing (out loud) at your post, Karma! Hiding the battery and finding it later... too funny.

I would never call people when drunk. I would never answer my phone, either. It's as if I knew I would give myself away and was trying to protect my nasty little private habit.

Online, however, I was a maniac. Emails all over the place. Facebook posts and comments, chats online with friends (that sometimes I could not even remember in the morning.....) I would try to delete as much of the wreckage as I could in the morning, but you know some of it got through. I have tried to apologize to a few key people for my erratic behavior and explained (to a couple of people) that I had a drinking problem, hence the crazy messages. So, I am trying to make amends for some of it, and the rest of it... just let it go, I think.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I called people when drunk, convinced that they did not know!

Then I looked back in the history of my calls the next morning and cringed. I am so glad I don't have to do that anymore!
Old 09-03-2009, 10:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I called people when drunk, convinced that they did not know!

Then I looked back in the history of my calls the next morning and cringed. I am so glad I don't have to do that anymore!
Oh god me too. I wouldn't remember any of it and then I'd send a text message saying "Sorry, had a bit too much last night.." and sometimes get a message back saying "That's what you said last weekend". Ugh.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

UGHHH, reading this thread has made me cringe...so thanks for reminding me why I don't drink.

I'm sooooo glad I don't have to worry about all of that crap anymore, was a huge cause of anxiety/paranoia for me, wondering what the hell I had said/done/messaged during drinking and then suddenly having a flash back, aahhhh, makes me get all anxious just thinking about it.

Drunk people do not look and sound good on the whole. So glad I'm sober!
Old 09-03-2009, 12:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Lord knows I have made those calls in the past so maybe I'm sympathizing more than i should with your cousin. Can you limit how long you'll talk to her, banana? Like at the outset of the call say, "Hey, I'm glad to hear from you/hear your voice/know you're home from work (something honest)/but I've only got 10 minutes." Then get off when you said, gently. Loving detachment.

Just an idea.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by karma79 View Post
Then I moved on to "hiding" the battery to my phone and my laptop before I would start drinking. Somehow I would always remember where I hid them in my drunken stupor.

Gahhhh
Oh I forgot about that I would delete everyone's phone # when I new I was going to get drunk but I'd somehow remember the #s--then after I made all these calls or text messages I'd delete them from MY phone while I was drunk so I wouldn't remember what I'd done sheesh
Old 09-03-2009, 01:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Banana, I'd stop taking the calls for your sake as well as your cousin's...I wonder if you're enabling her a bit by listening when she goes on and on. But certainly explain why, don't just leave her wondering. Maybe she's not hopeless. Do you ever talk with her when she's sober?
Old 09-03-2009, 02:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

please please dont think you sister is hopeless.

imo.....no one is hopeless.

doctors and i thought it was a hopeless drunk..........but there is always hope if they can see the truth..and whos to say that wont happen..

i feel for you it must be terrible to watch..
but she is sick and powerless..
if the worst thing i ever did was make a few drunk calls id have a very short list......

god be with her..and you.
may she see the truth and the solution
maybe in time she will accept a visit from a female member of aa.?

A suggestion: read the last page and a bit of the doctors opinion......beginning with "what is the solution"

seemily hopeless drunks........brimming over with contentment if i remember right after becoming sold on the plan outlined in the book( 12 steps).